• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jose Fernandez killed in boating accident

Oz27

16 hours ago, eligrba4ever said:

We have been down this road a couple of times with the Angels -- Lyman Bostock and Nick Adenhart. Three times if you count Jimmy Reese at a gas station in the desert.

I can only offer condolences to the family, friends, teammates and fans of Jose Fernandez.

Fernandez was originally supposed to be today's starter for Miami, but he got the day off so another pitcher coming off the DL could get a start. Life is fickle. If his start hadn't been pushed back, he would not have been on that boat last night.

Jimmy Reese died of pneumonia not a car accident, You are thinking of Preston Gomez.

21 hours ago, ukyah said:

it's a fishing boat, i wonder if they were out early predawn to fish and seemingly just didn't see the jetty. i'm sure, because it's an athlete, a lot of people just naturally think they were out drunk. that may end up being the case, but this has the look of a standard issue boating accident. just going too fast near shore.

I watched the press conference from the Coast Guard and Florida Fish & Wildlife. They had spoke with the family and they (3 victims) had done late night fishing quite a few times it was another of Jose's passions (deep sea fishing) As he loved cooking fresh fish for his friends and family in the early morning. The Jetty is unlit and it looks like they miscalculated and were trying to beat feet back to the dock. It looks like speed and miscalculation of the jetty are involved and not drugs or alcohol as there was nothing left in the boat. During the interview they also stated that they had been pulled over previously and the owner of the boat (not Fernandez) and passengers had been cited for not wearing life jackets. The three victims were also not wearing their life jackets. But, at that rate of speed I doubt there was much hope for them by looking at the damage of the hull.

The owner of the boat has also had numerous Florida Marlin players out fishing at all hours per the press conference.

Brings back the loss of our talented kid Nick Adenhart as a fan of the Halos and the Indians when Steve Olin, Tim Crews and Bobby Ojeda hit the pier coming in too fast bass fishing. I don't recall if alcohol was involved in that one.

1 hour ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I watched the press conference from the Coast Guard and Florida Fish & Wildlife. They had spoke with the family and they (3 victims) had done late night fishing quite a few times it was another of Jose's passions (deep sea fishing) As he loved cooking fresh fish for his friends and family in the early morning. The Jetty is unlit and it looks like they miscalculated and were trying to beat feet back to the dock. It looks like speed and miscalculation of the jetty are involved and not drugs or alcohol as there was nothing left in the boat. During the interview they also stated that they had been pulled over previously and the owner of the boat (not Fernandez) and passengers had been cited for not wearing life jackets. The three victims were also not wearing their life jackets. But, at that rate of speed I doubt there was much hope for them by looking at the damage of the hull.

The owner of the boat has also had numerous Florida Marlin players out fishing at all hours per the press conference.

Brings back the loss of our talented kid Nick Adenhart as a fan of the Halos and the Indians when Steve Olin, Tim Crews and Bobby Ojeda hit the pier coming in too fast bass fishing. I don't recall if alcohol was involved in that one.

Very sad, but makes sense. If you have a buddy that does something like fishing all the time, and it's something you dig on, I, you or Fernandez would probably not give a second though in accepting the invite. It may sound crazy to us, "middle of the night", but to a fisherman it's probably really normal.

I imagine if there had been an accident previously with this particular jetty they would have put a light up.  I don't think they can figure exactly when it happened but it was dark and they estimated the boat was going 55+ mph.  Even if it was going half that fast that's risky approaching an area where you know there could be rocks, a jetty, etc.  It's a terrible situation but like a lot of boating accidents you hear about it was avoidable.    

On 9/25/2016 at 2:45 PM, CaliAngel said:

Why the hell was he on a boat that small out in the ocean in the middle of the night? And why was the boat going full speed?

It just doesn't seem safe to me at all. Don't these guys consider what they're risking when they participate in these kinds of activities?

And then the dude driving doesn't even have the brains to avoid the jetty? 

This is just terrible. 

Rest in Peace Jose. Sorry buddy.

or maybe they were fishing and it was a simple accident. every accident boils down to somebody doing something wrong somewhere along the line. 

it's hubris to question anyone's actions during an accident.

12 hours ago, Oz27 said:

It just struck me that Jeff Mathis is going through this again. I'm sure he worked closely with Adenhart and obviously did with Fernandez too. I feel really horrible for Jeff.

This just hit me. Poor guy. No one should have to endure this even once let alone twice. I hope he's all right

On September 25, 2016 at 2:45 PM, CaliAngel said:

Why the hell was he on a boat that small out in the ocean in the middle of the night? And why was the boat going full speed?

It just doesn't seem safe to me at all. Don't these guys consider what they're risking when they participate in these kinds of activities?

And then the dude driving doesn't even have the brains to avoid the jetty? 

This is just terrible. 

Rest in Peace Jose. Sorry buddy.

1. 32' is small? 

2. How do you know it was going full speed? 

3. These kind of activities? You mean fishing so he can cook a fresh morning meal for family and friends? 

4. So you think the driver saw the jetty and still hit it ? 

I agree that this is terrible, but so is your post. 

No offense @CaliAngel but using your logic, we should have banned airplanes and tall buildings after the 9/11 attacks in the name of safety. 

Driving a boat at 65 MPH and crashing -- is pretty much identical to driving a car at 65 MPH and crashing.  Insufficient reaction time, distractions, poor night vision, being disoriented, fatigue, etc, are frequently to blame.  Doesn't matter what mode of transport it is.