• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jose Fernandez killed in boating accident

Oz27

for our resident teenage Florida fishing expert:

" The wreck happened at the mouth of Miami's Government Cut, a busy channel for cargo and cruise ships, smaller fishing boats and personal watercraft. While the area is well lit at night by South Beach's neon hotels and condominiums, this also creates a glare that can make spotting a safe route through the channel more difficult, said Terry Claus, a fishing charter captain "

"News photos of the boat involved in Fernandez's death appear to show that it had blue interior lights, a decorative feature that Claus said could have impaired the driver's vision if they were on.

"You're surrounded by all this blue light, and you can't see what's in front of you," Claus said Monday. A boater safety course would have explained the danger, he added.

"Those blue lights are supposed to be on at the dock to make the boat look pretty, but when you're on the ocean, everyone can see you but you can't see anyone else."

-------

and he didn't have to fish to feed the people he cared about, he wanted to. 

that's what people with good hearts do

Edited by Lou

3 hours ago, Robrock30 said:

Gotbeer,

Tomorrow is National Drink Beer Day.

Ocean Rescue Division Chief Vincent Canosa told WSVN-TV in Miami that a black bag containing Fernandez's checkbook and four signed baseballs was turned in to a lifeguard at 24th Street -- approximately 1 mile from where the 32-foot boat was found upside down on a jetty off Miami Beach.

a checkbook? 

the only person I know that still writes checks is my elderly mother 

Lou, I'm sure he was a great guy, but I don't know much about him. He obviously had close relationships with his teammates, and I'm not trying to take anything away from the person he was. Some of my friends were great guys, but they're no longer with us. Some of my friends are great guys who still make stupid mistakes, and I hold them accountable by calling them out on their sh*t. The exact same way I'm holding Jose accountable. 

The dude was being dumb, and out in the ocean is no place to be dumb. He was upset about a fight with his girlfriend. He invited other Marlins players to join the boating trip, but they, like I would, smartly declined. They told him not to go. He was out at bars, he told a fellow teammate to call him at 10am to make sure he could wake up in time to head to the stadium. His fellow teammates also didn't feel good about him going out in the water, but he did it anyway. You can try to tell friends they're not being safe, but what they decide to do is up to them.

25 minutes ago, Lou said:

While the area is well lit at night by South Beach's neon hotels and condominiums, this also creates a glare that can make spotting a safe route through the channel more difficult, said Terry Claus, a fishing charter captain "

"News photos of the boat involved in Fernandez's death appear to show that it had blue interior lights, a decorative feature that Claus said could have impaired the driver's vision if they were on.

If it's difficult to see, why are you going full speed when you're coming inshore?

26 minutes ago, Lou said:

and he didn't have to fish to feed the people he cared about, he wanted to. 

that's what people with good hearts do

It doesn't even sound like he was fishing Saturday night, he just wanted to go out on the boat to blow off some steam. And that's fine.

But even if he did fish, you don't have to go full speed after you fish to get back. Irresponsible. Unsafe. Tragic.

Good hearts don't trump dumb decisions.

1 minute ago, CaliAngel said:

Lou, I'm sure he was a great guy, but I don't know much about him. He obviously had close relationships with his teammates, and I'm not trying to take anything away from the person he was. Some of my friends were great guys, but they're no longer with us. Some of my friends are great guys who still make stupid mistakes, and I hold them accountable by calling them out on their sh*t. The exact same way I'm holding Jose accountable. 

You should totally call the investigators and let them know without doubt that it was Fernandez who was operating the boat and not one of his buddies.    The Warren Commission could probably use your help with that Kennedy thing too.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

You should totally call the investigators and let them know without doubt that it was Fernandez who was operating the boat and not one of his buddies.    The Warren Commission could probably use your help with that Kennedy thing too.

looking forward to his analysis on Chappaquiddick

20 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

And your post is pathetic.

1. Yes. For a fishing boat out in the Atlantic Ocean in the middle of the night, 32' is super small. Fished out in Florida throughout my teens, was never on a boat less than 60 feet.

2. All reports say the boat was going 55+ MPH, that is full speed. Some reports say it was going faster. Completely unnecessary.

3. What person getting paid millions of dollars needs to go out on a fishing boat at midnight to cook a fresh morning meal for family and friends? I know you're not that dumb.

4. No, the driver was being irresponsible. He didn't know what he was doing out in the ocean, as evidenced by very simple boating rules. When you come into a marine, don't go in at full speed, and don't travel to the RIGHT of the red buoy. "The rule is red buoy is supposed to be on your right when returning from sea (red right returning)." Growing up with a family that owned boats, and friends that own boats, there are water rules that need to be followed to navigate the water appropriately. Even if you're not even driving the boat there are rules to keep you safe. If you don't know the rules and don't know what you're doing, you absolutely do not belong out there, and you absolutely have no right bringing innocent people on board with you.

Your post is full of question marks as well.

1. The average size vessel that makes the passage from CA to Hawaii is 30 ft, the average world cruiser is 40ft. Go to any harbor and the vast majority of boats are under 40 ft save for charter boats. 32 ft boats are pretty average for privately owned vessels.

4. Without having the chart in front of me, it's hard to say what the buoy was making people aware of. It's true Red Right Returning is for navigable channels leading boats in and out of harbors, but a red buoy can also be used outside of channel lanes to draw attention to something potentially dangerous. It could have been there to say "Hey! Look out for that big F'ing Rock!!" Without seeing the chart and being unfamiliar with the area I can't answer that for sure, but that is my guess. It looks like relatively open water beyond the red buoy, which leads me to think it wasn't a channel marker, but a buoy identifying potential danger and if the harbor was behind the camera then the Red Right Returning rule would have put the vessel between the buoy and the rock as they headed into port and that's not going to happen

if you look at the boat, there is a good  chance that he did take the buoy to starboard. There is a lot of damage to the port bow which could mean the boat actually hit the other side of the Rock and flipped. We see where the boat came to rest not the initial impact. If he was doing 50 mph, then the boat could have flipped over the rock. 

Now, if the harbor is to the right of and beyond the frame of the image and it is a channel marker and he was heading left to right of the picture, then yeah, he was on the wrong side, but where did all of the damage to the port now come from. If he was heading out to sea traveling right to left, the red buoy should have been taken to port by a long way and he was way off. 

My father owned a 33 foot Choey Lee that was a 3/4 keel transcontinental rated sloop. We took it out in 50 knot winds, the boat heeled over 9 degrees and stayed there as it took on the highest swells off of Dana Point harbor I've ever seen. Scary as shit to be on deck working the main as the bow ran down a trough and you were looking at the incoming that was towering above you. 

Those are the kind of boats making the Hawaii run,  not any 36 foot open cockpit shore boat. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

I'm very familiar with the impaired judgment that accompanies heavy alcohol intake. I spent much of my 20's doing stupid things while drunk. By the grace of God everything turned out okay, but there were some close calls.

RIP Jose and his friends...

Been there ... done that