• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jose Fernandez killed in boating accident

Oz27

Wow, that opening ceremony was powerful. The somber trumpet of Take Me Out To The Ball Game while the teammates stood there trying to hold back tears was heavy on the heart. Then the kids choir for the National Anthem captured the spirit of Jose. Although he was only a US citizen for a couple years, he was honored with the US color guard and Navy. Jose has said one of his proudest moments was becoming an American citizen and today he received the proper respect as if he were US born. The 10 minute ceremony was flawless and I don't think I've ever heard a stadium so quiet for that length of time. Then after all of this, they had to play a kids game.

Jose Fernandez’s friend Eddy Rivero sent ominous text message prior to fatal crash

A text message sent by one of the men who died in the fatal boating crash on Sunday off the coast in South Florida that killed Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez is chilling and eerie given what later transpired.

Eddy Rivero is one of the three men who died in the crash, along with Fernandez and Emilio Macias. In a text message conversation with a friend, Rivero hinted at potential danger ahead by saying “Trust me. It’s not my time.”

(texts and additional interesting info in linked article)

https://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/jose-fernandez-friend-eddy-rivero-text-message/324746

33 minutes ago, mancini79 said:

Wow, that opening ceremony was powerful. The somber trumpet of Take Me Out To The Ball Game while the teammates stood there trying to hold back tears was heavy on the heart. Then the kids choir for the National Anthem captured the spirit of Jose. Although he was only a US citizen for a couple years, he was honored with the US color guard and Navy. Jose has said one of his proudest moments was becoming an American citizen and today he received the proper respect as if he were US born. The 10 minute ceremony was flawless and I don't think I've ever heard a stadium so quiet for that length of time. Then after all of this, they had to play a kids game.

Obviously its still really fresh, and doesnt matter right now, but good for him...he made his mark and lived a lot more life in 23 years than most people will in an average lifespan. And i dont say that because he was a baseball player. I say it because he was a better than most baseball player, he fled poverty, made his family more comfortable, snd had strangers adore him and leave behind a rep as a great person. We should all aim for that while were here....

Just saw a highlight of the gordon home run...seeing all those guys wesring fernandez jersys and crying in the dugout after the jack was pretty sad.

I think its fair to say its not "worse" because hes a ballplayer. But it also shouldnt be used against him (not saying anyone here is). End of the day, he was a likeable kid with an extremely bright future who died way too young. Sad, sad sad....

7 hours ago, Lou said:

1. 32' is small? 

2. How do you know it was going full speed? 

3. These kind of activities? You mean fishing so he can cook a fresh morning meal for family and friends? 

4. So you think the driver saw the jetty and still hit it ? 

I agree that this is terrible, but so is your post. 

And your post is pathetic.

1. Yes. For a fishing boat out in the Atlantic Ocean in the middle of the night, 32' is super small. Fished out in Florida throughout my teens, was never on a boat less than 60 feet.

2. All reports say the boat was going 55+ MPH, that is full speed. Some reports say it was going faster. Completely unnecessary.

3. What person getting paid millions of dollars needs to go out on a fishing boat at midnight to cook a fresh morning meal for family and friends? I know you're not that dumb.

4. No, the driver was being irresponsible. He didn't know what he was doing out in the ocean, as evidenced by very simple boating rules. When you come into a marine, don't go in at full speed, and don't travel to the RIGHT of the red buoy. "The rule is red buoy is supposed to be on your right when returning from sea (red right returning)." Growing up with a family that owned boats, and friends that own boats, there are water rules that need to be followed to navigate the water appropriately. Even if you're not even driving the boat there are rules to keep you safe. If you don't know the rules and don't know what you're doing, you absolutely do not belong out there, and you absolutely have no right bringing innocent people on board with you.

4 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

1. Yes. For a fishing boat out in the Atlantic Ocean in the middle of the night, 32' is super small. Fished out in Florida throughout my teens, was never on a boat less than 60 feet.

2. All reports say the boat was going 55+ MPH, that is full speed. Some reports say it was going faster. Completely unnecessary.

3. What person getting paid millions of dollars needs to go out on a fishing boat at midnight to cook a fresh morning meal for family and friends? I know you're not that dumb.

4. No, the driver was being irresponsible. He didn't know what he was doing out in the ocean, as evidenced by very simple boating rules. When you come into a marine, don't go in at full speed, and don't travel to the RIGHT of the red buoy. "The rule is red buoy is supposed to be on your right when returning from sea (red right returning)." Growing up with a family that owned boats, and friends that own boats, there are water rules that need to be followed to navigate the water appropriately. Even if you're not even driving the boat there are rules to keep you safe. If you don't know the rules and don't know what you're doing, you absolutely do not belong out there, and you absolutely have no right bringing innocent people on board with you.

Rest assured everyone that we have our top AW detective on the case.

12 hours ago, Lou said:

Jose Fernandez’s friend Eddy Rivero sent ominous text message prior to fatal crash

A text message sent by one of the men who died in the fatal boating crash on Sunday off the coast in South Florida that killed Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez is chilling and eerie given what later transpired.

Eddy Rivero is one of the three men who died in the crash, along with Fernandez and Emilio Macias. In a text message conversation with a friend, Rivero hinted at potential danger ahead by saying “Trust me. It’s not my time.”

(texts and additional interesting info in linked article)

https://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/jose-fernandez-friend-eddy-rivero-text-message/324746

Fernandez was spotted at a bar around 2, but those texts are from midnight. Hmmm 

In the hours before his boat crashed violently into a jetty off South Beach on Sunday morning, killing him and two friends, Miami Marlins ace José Fernández purportedly argued with his girlfriend and was seen at a Miami River bar.

The beloved 24-year-old pitcher, who was honored Monday night in an emotional ceremony by the team he left behind, died when his 32-foot SeaVee named “Kaught Looking” slammed into the Government Cut north jetty. Emilio Jesus Macias, 27, and Eduardo Rivero, 25, were also killed.   Kaught Looking — spelled with a backwards K, the symbol for a strikeout when the batter doesn’t swing — was indeed the pitcher’s. 

Investigators have not indicated what the trio were doing, or where they were going when their boat, headed south, plowed at a high speed into the dark rocks that jut east into the ocean from South Pointe Park after 3 a.m.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-beach/article104261146.html

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

Agreed that right now is not the right time to talk about the do's and don'ts.   Let's remember Jose now, and talk about that later.

I disagree.  This is a freaking message baseball message board.  We don't need to be have a 'moratorium' about the death of a pitcher on the Marlins.

Just my opinion.

I forgot I got to see Jose Fernandez pitch a few years back when I went to visit NY at CitiField. He shut them down. God, he was awesome. The over pouring amount of love from his teammates show how good of a person this kid was. Anyways, just wanted to share this pic with you all of the great Jose Fernandez. RIP  

FB_IMG_1474831806168.jpg

7 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

I'm glad you're right about all of this stuff. I hope you're this critical of every mistake you make, too. 

Oracle,

Having checked out the celebrities houses close up on Star Island. Shaq, Gloria Estefan, Madonna, Stallone, Rosie O'Donnell, etc.,  from the water as well as Miami Beach, the Port and the Cut through the jetties,  I believe Gloria Estefan expresses her condolences the best.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKzYn6jgLly/

8 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

Life would be completely boring if we avoided all risk.  For starters, there would be no sports. 

But even worse, our standards of living would suffer beyond comprehension.  Some of the most essential jobs (roofer, trash truck driver, construction worker, etc) are also the most dangerous.  Is that work "completely unnecessary" to you?

The government and whomever else can make all the rules and laws they want in the name of "safety".  It's getting to the point that nobody takes the rules seriously because there's too many of them, and/or they're complete bullshit to begin with.  Case in point:  One of the companies I do business with has decided that backing out of a parking stall is inherently dangerous. Therefore, except for the driver, no passengers are allowed inside the vehicle and must stand 50 feet away while the car is in reverse.  I'm all for safe workplaces, but crap like this does nothing to further anybody's safety. 

1 hour ago, mp170.6 said:

Life would be completely boring if we avoided all risk.  For starters, there would be no sports. 

But even worse, our standards of living would suffer beyond comprehension.  Some of the most essential jobs (roofer, trash truck driver, construction worker, etc) are also the most dangerous.  Is that work "completely unnecessary" to you?

The government and whomever else can make all the rules and laws they want in the name of "safety".  It's getting to the point that nobody takes the rules seriously because there's too many of them, and/or they're complete bullshit to begin with.  Case in point:  One of the companies I do business with has decided that backing out of a parking stall is inherently dangerous. Therefore, except for the driver, no passengers are allowed inside the vehicle and must stand 50 feet away while the car is in reverse.  I'm all for safe workplaces, but crap like this does nothing to further anybody's safety. 

The Nanny State in full disgraceful regality

Gotbeer,

Tomorrow is National Drink Beer Day.

Ocean Rescue Division Chief Vincent Canosa told WSVN-TV in Miami that a black bag containing Fernandez's checkbook and four signed baseballs was turned in to a lifeguard at 24th Street -- approximately 1 mile from where the 32-foot boat was found upside down on a jetty off Miami Beach.