• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Twins acquire Santiago

ettin

2 minutes ago, stormngt said:

How many here would prefer Weaver over Nolasco 

Straight up, Nolasco. But if the choice had been starting Weaver next year (something I hate the idea of and isn't needed either way) and having got some useful prospects for Santiago, or getting Nolasco instead of Weaver and receiving a fringe prospect at best, then anyone who doesn't take the first option is crazy. The focus should never have been on 2017.

I need someone to explain the rationale for this trade other than "well, we just didn't sit there at deadline time......"

I am not monitoring this minute to minute so I am assuming of the two guys who we really needed to trade (Smith and Street), neither one got dealt and now are essentially our own rentals with nothing in return.

Santiago, who's value is probably as high as it will get, is signed through 2017 and we're not paying much for him this year or next.......so we trade for lefty Nolasco who is making about $12.25 million for 2017 and 2018 and a throw in player who could man the back end of the pen or at least be a warm body on the roster there.......

Meanwhile Santiago goes to the Twins and will likely pitch there for 2017 at which time (if he has done anything close to what he's done this year and last) he will again be a deadline trade value guy..........watch the Twins get more from a contender in 2017 for a true rental of Santiago than what we got today.....

PS -- Didn't Nolasco spend time as a Dodger rental a year or two back?

Just now, mulwin444 said:

The simple solution is to keep Santiago, who is better and cheaper than Nolasco.  Its truly an awful deal.  Staggering...

I seriously thought it would be hard for them to make a deal which made me go 'uhhh, I wish we hadn't done that' when I wanted us to sell half the team. But giving up a guy with value for complete sh*t (and not even young sh*t) did just that.

1 minute ago, disarcina said:

I need someone to explain the rationale for this trade other than "well, we just didn't sit there at deadline time......"

I am not monitoring this minute to minute so I am assuming of the two guys who we really needed to trade (Smith and Street), neither one got dealt and now are essentially our own rentals with nothing in return.

Santiago, who's value is probably as high as it will get, is signed through 2017 and we're not paying much for him this year or next.......so we trade for lefty Nolasco who is making about $12.25 million for 2017 and 2018 and a throw in player who could man the back end of the pen or at least be a warm body on the roster there.......

Meanwhile Santiago goes to the Twins and will likely pitch there for 2017 at which time (if he has done anything close to what he's done this year and last) he will again be a deadline trade value guy..........watch the Twins get more from a contender in 2017 for a true rental of Santiago than what we got today.....

PS -- Didn't Nolasco spend time as a Dodger rental a year or two back?

Smith was traded to the Cubs.

2 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

I seriously thought it would be hard for them to make a deal which made me go 'uhhh, I wish we hadn't done that' when I wanted us to sell half the team. But giving up a guy with value for complete sh*t (and not even young sh*t) did just that.

"not even young sh*t" is the nice way of saying "decrepit, sun-dried, chalky white dog sh*t"

13 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

I wouldn't have minded the Nolasco thing as a throw-in, in a trade which came with actual useful prospect(s). But it feels like they're overvaluing him to a pretty ridiculous extent. The guy was a DFA candidate. The Padres turned Drew f**king Pomeranz into a ridiculously good prospect. We turned Hector Santiago into a 5+ ERA pitcher on a bad contract and some guy who is broken and seems most likely to be a reliever if he ever gets fixed.

Santiago isn't anywhere near the pitcher Pomeranz is.

At the time of the trade, Pomeranz had an era of 2.47, a whip of 1.059 and was named to the AS team. He's also under club control until 2019. To think we'd get anything near the value SD received is a pipe dream 

Just now, Lou said:

Santiago isn't anywhere near the pitcher Pomeranz is.

At the time of the trade, Pomeranz had an era of 2.47, a whip of 1.059 and was named to the AS team. He's also under club control until 2019. To think we'd get anything near the value SD received is a pipe dream 

I know that - although anyone buying Pomeranz should have known he was very little chance of sustaining that. I was saying the other day Santiago should be rated closer to Pomeranz than Miley when we were predicting a return. Pomeranz got a top 30 prospect, Santiago should have been worth a top 100 guy at worst - not Ricky f'n Nolasco.

1 minute ago, Oz27 said:

I know that - although anyone buying Pomeranz should have known he was very little chance of sustaining that. I was saying the other day Santiago should be rated closer to Pomeranz than Miley when we were predicting a return. Pomeranz got a top 30 prospect, Santiago should have been worth a top 100 guy at worst - not Ricky f'n Nolasco.

no way anyone was giving us a top 100 prospect for Santiago 

3 minutes ago, Turd Ferguson said:

If anyone was advocating us trading Trout to reboot the farm, that should be off the table now. I don't want to even imagine how bad this organization would boot that deal.

We would probably trade him to Boston this year for Ortiz and Uehara

6 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Nolasco is kind of a poor man's Dan Haren. Like Haren, he dipped off substantially in his 30s, maintaining excellent peripherals but giving up tons of hits. He is a #5 starter at best.

I wish he was a poor mans Haren. Dude is Joe Blanton 2.0. Innings eater, consistently under-performs his peripherals, gives up a ton of hits and home runs. That's exactly what summed up Blanton when the Angels signed him

3 minutes ago, disarcina said:

we traded Smith to the Cubs?  what did we get back? Perhaps there's hope here. Cubs pen now getting crowded with closer mentality egos.

Will Smith was traded by Milwuakee to SF.

Jesus Castillo, 20 yr old RHP from Venezuela. 

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

no way anyone was giving us a top 100 prospect for Santiago 

Sam Miller at Baseball Prospectus ran an exercise valuing every Angel the other day and guessed he was worth an average team's #6 and #12 best prospect. An average team's #6 is probably a guy just outside the top 100, so he predicted that and someone else of use. I thought that undervalued him slightly ... but either way, the return should have been way better than it was.

Seems like the Angels traded Hector and his 2017 arbitration price of $8 million to Minnesota for a flier at Alex Meyer as a potential starter. And to get Meyer, they had to take Nolasco and $4 million to cover his $12 million in 2017. When you're hanging around last place, you take some chances. Maybe Nolasco might work out in a southern climate. He had some good performances in Miami and L.A. But it's only for a year and he'll cost the same $8 million Moreno would spend on whatever version of Hector shows up in 2017. Nolasco's three worst seasons were with the Twins. The Angels also sent back a AA reliever who has been toast in AAA.