• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Twins acquire Santiago

ettin

6 minutes ago, SigBaby said:

I don't understand the hate for Meyer he hasn't even been given a chance in the majors and was a top prospect not long ago. Santiago has shown only that he is inconsistent and couldn't be relied upon for anything. That being said I do think we couldve gotten a better return given how the market has played out

I think this is the second worst trade of the 2000 behind only the Wells trade. I'm not even under the impression that Santiago was good. He's probably a 4-5 starter on a decent team but at least he has a little upside and is semi cheap. We just took on an expensive 5 starter with only downside and a minor leaguer who is most likely a bust. I have no problem with the Angels taking a flier on some guys but then don't trade for a guy in his mid 30s.

1 minute ago, xboom28x said:

Not sure if mentioned in this thread, but Nolasco's team option in 2018 becomes a player option if certain requirements met in 2017.

Wonder what those are because obviously wouldn't want that to happen. Angels are gonna be paying a dude who has posted a 5+ ERA each of the past 3 years $8 million next year(Twins picking up $4 million) and is set to earn $13 million in 2018

4 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Could've signed a Nolasco type pitcher in the offseason for the same amount of money and Santiago (as much as I don't like him) is more than likely better than Meyer will ever be

So this trade was completely pointless and a waste of an asset 

The only thing Santiago could ever consistently do was outperform his peripherals. Theres no reason why Meyer can't become a decent starter hes only a year removed from being a highly regarded prospect

1 minute ago, SigBaby said:

The only thing Santiago could ever consistently do was outperform his peripherals. Theres no reason why Meyer can't become a decent starter hes only a year removed from being a highly regarded prospect

I'm not sure why you put so much stock in "highly regarded prospect"  those guys pan out maybe 10% of the time.

2 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

I think this is the second worst trade of the 2000 behind only the Wells trade. I'm not even under the impression that Santiago was good. He's probably a 4-5 starter on a decent team but at least he has a little upside and is semi cheap. We just took on an expensive 5 starter with only downside and a minor leaguer who is most likely a bust. I have no problem with the Angels taking a flier on some guys but then don't trade for a guy in his mid 30s.

Nolasco's not an expensive starter though I'm not sure how much we will be paying him but it's certainly nowhere near his full contract. And yes it's great to receive "highly rated" prospects, but the shine wears off very quickly and sometimes unfairly. Look at Wil Meyers who's coming into his own a couple years after the shine wore off. Or Brandon Wood who never did. Or Shoemaker and Calhoun who never were prospects at all. 

58 minutes ago, SigBaby said:

....My opinion of this trade is we basically got a guy who is as much of a toss up as Santiago is going forward, but cheaper and controllable for longer. 

How do you figure that?  Santiago has pitched in part of 6 seasons in the bigs to a 3.68 ERA......Meyer is hurt....hasn't cracked the bigs at 26....likely a reliever....

Eppler is betting big on Meyer, a former top prospect who is now 26 and doesn't seem to be able to stay healthy. He's a great waiver wire pick up or trade throw in, way to high risk to be the center piece of a deal.

I guess it looks like I was right about Santiago. His value was just not all that high, especially to contenders. They would've been better off converting him to a reliever and seeing what they could've gotten for him next year, or extending him. I wager that the Twins see him as a buy low candidate who they can get more out of than they paid.

Didn't the Twins move Meyer to the pen? I don't think he's gonna be a starter moving forward. Incredibly wild(due to beipng so damn tall). His fastball/curve is a legit combo for the backend of the bullpen. This deal basically looks like the Angels trading Santiago in hopes of landing an electric reliever to pair with Bedrosian in the back of the pen moving forward

Just now, DMVol said:

How do you figure that?  Santiago has pitched in part of 6 seasons in the bigs to a 3.68 ERA......Meyer is hurt....hasn't cracked the bigs at 26....

I think the main worry is that Meyers is hurt but Santiago is incredibly inconsistent and has always outperformed his peripherals which is probably a big reason why no other team wanted to trade for him. Remember we almost swung a deal last offseason for Brian Matusz a lefty reliever other teams dont seem to value him much and i just dont think he'll ever become a consistent starter

The Twins haven't developed young pitching in quite a while. It could be an organizational thing. They ruin what prospects they do have by moving them up and down. Meyer could be a symptom of that dysfunction. Worth a shot. Santiago likely would have received 8-10 mil in arbitration, then cost more than that as a FA.

One thing to remember... Santiago hasn't thrown 200IP yet in a season. I personally don't think he has it in him. Meyer, if he's right, can do that. Nolasco too.

1 minute ago, SigBaby said:

I think the main worry is that Meyers is hurt but Santiago is incredibly inconsistent and has always outperformed his peripherals which is probably a big reason why no other team wanted to trade for him. Remember we almost swung a deal last offseason for Brian Matusz a lefty reliever other teams dont seem to value him much and i just dont think he'll ever become a consistent starter

If he isn't valued highly by other teams, then just keep him.....with the mess we're in with pitchers a cheap, controllable mediocre pitcher has more value to us than an awful pitcher (Nolasco) and a 1st round bust who likely ends up in the pen....