• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Twins acquire Santiago

ettin

11 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Nolasco is kind of a poor man's Dan Haren. Like Haren, he dipped off substantially in his 30s, maintaining excellent peripherals but giving up tons of hits. He is a #5 starter at best.

A #5 starter at best and another pitcher "battling shoulder fatigue", and who knows when (or if) he'll pitch again.

I feel like someone who just got robbed.

4 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

Sam Miller at Baseball Prospectus ran an exercise valuing every Angel the other day and guessed he was worth an average team's #6 and #12 best prospect. An average team's #6 is probably a guy just outside the top 100, so he predicted that and someone else of use. I thought that undervalued him slightly ... but either way, the return should have been way better than it was.

5 x 30 = 150 I'd imagine no more than a few teams have a 6th best prospect even just outside the top 100. 

Just now, eaterfan said:

5 x 30 = 150 I'd imagine no more than a few teams have a 6th best prospect even just outside the top 100. 

By "just outside the top 100" I meant in the 130-150 range (probably should have explained that better). I felt that undervalued him a bit anyway and a top 100 guy - or maybe multiple high upside guys outside it - was a reasonable aim.

4 minutes ago, Dick B Back said:

Has anyone complaining about Hector's value actually watch him pitch for an entire season?

Are we thinking about the same guy?

He is consistently a league average pitcher or very close to it. An acquiring team also has the option of moving him to the bullpen, where I think he could be really good. League average starters earning a reasonable salary have significant value though.

14 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Think they're really banking on Meyer being something special. I think this was more about acquiring him. Apparently Eppler has been high on him since ST.

Eppler has done a good job getting guys like that. Just gonna have to wait and see.

He turns 27 in January, and he hasn't pitched in 2 months due to a bum shoulder.  Sure, he's a former 1st round pick, a top 100 prospect, etc.--but something (a combo of command issues, injuries, general ineffectiveness, etc.) has kept him from living up to his hype.  I'd say the window on capitalizing on that is closing pretty soon.

1 minute ago, eligrba4ever said:

Eppler live with Roger Lodge momentarily.

As if Roger will ask him anything remotely interesting.  He'll read directly from a prepared list of questions, and never once ask a follow-up question that is related to the actual content that comes from whatever the person being interviewed says.  He is a terrible, terrible interviewer.

Just now, HALOS23 said:

If we want to take a chance on a firmer #1 pick, Angels should pick up Brian Matusz, who was DFA'd by Cubs. Not sure how he would fare as a starter but he was decent pitching in relief for Orioles until this season. Can't be worse than some of the bullpen guys we have now... 

He's pretty bad but could eat some innings. Clayton Richard was DFA'd too and would make a lot of sense, I would really like us to claim him.

Total risk. Basically they just gave us a high risk, high upside side arm in return for a back-end starter who could be a little better than what we got. Would have preferred to have gotten something different for Santiago, but there must be something that's encouraging Billy about Meyer. 

Andrew Miller was another tall pitcher with a big arm and a flopped prospect with injury issues. Billy's just playing it risky. 

If he somehow pans out, Shoe, Skaggs, and Meyer is a good trio in the rotation, or maybe he becomes a big pen arm.

7 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

As if Roger will ask him anything remotely interesting.  He'll read directly from a prepared list of questions, and never once ask a follow-up question that is related to the actual content that comes from whatever the person being interviewed says.  He is a terrible, terrible interviewer.

"Uh...Roger, let me check with Mike, then get back to you on that."

Says the doctors looked at Meyers shoulder and it was fine.  Says he is physical and throws hard.  If he doesn't pan out as a SP next year, he could be used out of the bullpen.

Regarding Nolasco, says he should be better than what his ERA was in MN.  He likes him.

BARF.