• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Twins acquire Santiago

ettin

1 minute ago, DMVol said:

I didn't like the Simmons trade but at least I thought it was a fair trade...I just didn't agree with the reasoning behind it....and I still don't.....but that's different than this one....this appears to be just a bad deal....I don't know what the hell the point is with this one...

Yep, that's pretty much where I'm at on it.

10 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Did you see the market for relievers? I'm more excited about who we got for Joe Smith. Put Santiago in the pen for a couple of months and we could've gotten another player far better than anyone already involved in the deal.

Castillo's only 20 - he could well turn out to be a useful part down the road.

However - if the Twins paid Nolasco's entire salary - ah, who am I kidding? - we still got ripped off.  

Meyer's 26, had a 12+ ERA in the majors this year, has major control issues, sidelined the last two months with shoulder inflammation - almost certain to join the ranks of all those guys who *almost* made the majors and are now selling real estate.  

Smells like the Walden for Hansom trade - mostly built on hope ...

12 minutes ago, xboom28x said:

The Twins haven't developed young pitching in quite a while. It could be an organizational thing. They ruin what prospects they do have by moving them up and down. Meyer could be a symptom of that dysfunction. Worth a shot. Santiago likely would have received 8-10 mil in arbitration, then cost more than that as a FA.

One thing to remember... Santiago hasn't thrown 200IP yet in a season. I personally don't think he has it in him. Meyer, if he's right, can do that. Nolasco too.

Oh and pigs fly right.  Santiago for Meyer maybe but taking Nolasco contract and giving another pitching prospect too? Well at least he won't be the worst pitcher on the team Lincecum has that covered. One more move to solidify Trout leaving when his contracts up. 

So...you trade Hector Santiago, a lefthanded SP with actual value (minimal but actual value) for a older and shittier pitcher and an injured, failed prospect...oh, and Eppler threw in an extra prospect who can touch triple digits with his fastball.  

This is really quite indefensible...

Just now, Pucknut22 said:

Oh and pigs fly right.  Santiago for Meyer maybe but taking Nolasco contract and giving another pitching prospect too? Well at least he won't be the worst pitcher on the team Lincecum has that covered. One more move to solidify Trout leaving when his contracts up. 

We don't have pitching prospects (outside of Nate Smith kind of) to give up and if we did I doubt we'd even consider trading them

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

am I the only one here that thinks that a guy like Santiago is a dime a dozen? 

he's also having arguably his worst season in the majors.

I don't disagree with you, but i think he's a little more rare than the Alex Meyer's out there. Plus taking Nolasco instead of another prospect was pretty bad.

4 minutes ago, Lou said:

am I the only one here that thinks that a guy like Santiago is a dime a dozen? 

he's also having arguably his worst season in the majors.

Santiago is wasted talent. He has great stuff, and you can't teach that. Reminds me a bit of Fernando Rodney. Great stuff, but couldn't put it together until half way into his career (after he left the Angels).

8 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I didn't like the Simmons trade but at least I thought it was a fair trade...I just didn't agree with the reasoning behind it....and I still don't.....but that's different than this one....this appears to be just a bad deal....I don't know what the hell the point is with this one...

You've summed this up pretty well. I don't have any freaking idea what the purpose was here.

2 minutes ago, SigBaby said:

Considering Nolasco consistently underperforms based on FIP and Santiago consistently over performs there's definitely potential for them to be a wash and the trade to come down to the development of Meyer. So while we lost out on the market, in my opinion we could possibly come out ahead in the actual trade

This has to be what they are banking on..   The Twins defense really is awful..   All of their pitchers have under-performed and while they have caught the flak -- that defense is likely the culprit.  But after the Blanton disaster, it's hard to have faith in a sabermetric model that asks you to believe that bad luck is a thing...

2 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

So...you trade Hector Santiago, a lefthanded SP with actual value (minimal but actual value) for a older and shittier pitcher and an injured, failed prospect...oh, and Eppler threw in an extra prospect who can touch triple digits with his fastball.  

The media should have a field day with this.  Completely inexcusable.  Moreno knows nothing about baseball and it sucks he is our owner and is in love with Scioscia because we have no hope to even getting to the World Series with those 2 at the helm.  At least I got to watch my Penguins win game 6 and can look forward to my Redskins.  Moreno makes Dan Snyder look like a genius.

6 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Reminds me of including Gricuk in the Freese trade, but on a smaller scale. 

5 minutes ago, SigBaby said:

Considering Nolasco consistently underperforms based on FIP and Santiago consistently over performs there's definitely potential for them to be a wash and the trade to come down to the development of Meyer. So while we lost out on the market, in my opinion we could possibly come out ahead in the actual trade

That's fine, but even if the both perform like their FIP suggests we basically traded Santiago for Santiago and Meyer. Considering we had/have very few pieces to trade we blew one of our few chances to get younger/cheaper on taking a flier on Meyer. The Angels weren't going to get a Skaggs or Heaney for Santiago but they could have gotten better prospects that were further away like the Angels got in the Smith trade and saved $8 million to spend on a Nolasco type in the off season.

I don't care about the prospect we threw in, if the guy was anything, he would have been here with how bad our pen has been.  I care that we did a two for two trade when we have a lousy farm and a lousy pen and a lousy rotation.  When you trade a starter you should at the very least work towards solving one of those deficiencies.  We didn't do that.  

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

This has to be what they are banking on..   The Twins defense really is awful..   All of their pitchers have under-performed and while they have caught the flak -- that defense is likely the culprit.  But after the Blanton disaster, it's hard to have faith in a sabermetric model that asks you to believe that bad luck is a thing...

I wouldn't have minded the Nolasco thing as a throw-in, in a trade which came with actual useful prospect(s). But it feels like they're overvaluing him to a pretty ridiculous extent. The guy was a DFA candidate. The Padres turned Drew f**king Pomeranz into a ridiculously good prospect. We turned Hector Santiago into a 5+ ERA pitcher on a bad contract and some guy who is broken and seems most likely to be a reliever if he ever gets fixed.

1 hour ago, SigBaby said:

Just looking at the statistics though I think if Meyer is healthy he can perform at Santiago's level they're actually similar pitchers in regards to control issues but good stuff. 

My opinion of this trade is we basically got a guy who is as much of a toss up as Santiago is going forward, but cheaper and controllable for longer. On top of that we got a 5 starter for next year so we won't have to discuss re-signing Weaver anymore

How many here would prefer Weaver over Nolasco