• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Done: Lester and Gomes from the Red Sox to A's for Yoenis Cespedes

I've got news for you: that's the same team minus one guy, and they now have what is indisputably the best staff in the majors.

And the guy who they got to replace him hits LHP better. And they have a guy on the bench who hits RHP better.

Edited by HaloMagic

Interesting comment.

Jim Bowden

I think they did. Milone is a solid 4th or 5th type starter that has won double digits three straight years...he's a competitor......good back of rotation starter for a 5th outfielder.....Twins win the deal....Oakland doesn't care about winning deal....they'll lose a deal to give team a better fit and better chance to win....they like a Fuld/Gomes platoon in LF to replace Cespdes

Is it just Bob Melvin, or has it been an A's/Beane tradition to mix and match at multiple positions with maximum results?

I'm trying to think back to the 2000-2006 period, and how often they platooned back then. 

I will say this for Fuld, going back 3-4 years he's always been known as a true gamer, a chemistry guy.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I don't think they could.  Because of what Lester has been saying about returning back to the Red Sox in the offseason.  That statement dropped his price considerably.  

poppycock...any team that dealt for him knows they can't get comp picks and it's unlikely they are going to re-sign him - whether he goes back to the Red Sox or somewhere else. I find it hard to believe they couldn't have gotten either some young top prospects or a controllable player or two. The Red Sox aren't competing this year, so basically they are rolling the dice this year was a fluke and not 2013...and when you consider how their young guys have shown very little...that's not a sure thing.

I've got news for you: that's the same team minus one guy, and they now have what is indisputably the best staff in the majors.

kinda like saying we are the same team without Trout?

come on i mean we are not talking about a role player here. we are talking about a guy that can hit balls into parking lots and throw you out from them... i see noone considering that aspect as they slobber on the As knob here...

concede the division if you wish, im not

To me this is a curious move for the Red Sox...you would have thought they could have gotten more for Lester than 18 months of Cespedes. 

To me what makes it curious for them is that if they do indeed intend to chase him this offseason they basically guaranteed themselves they will be paying more.   The only thing that may have kept some teams from bidding was the possible loss of a draft pick, now that he's been traded there will be no draft compensation for signing Lester.

Yep, both rotation and bullpen

It's going to be tough to beat that pitching staff in any series.

And the biggest factor, Lester adds much needed post-season experience/success. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

come on i mean we are not talking about a role player here. we are talking about a guy that can hit balls into parking lots and throw you out from them... i see noone considering that aspect as they slobber on the As knob here...

Holy crap dude, you are jumping to a lot of conclusions.  Nobody is conceding anything.  Are people not allowed to talk about how great a team that Oakland is assembling without conceding?

Did you really try to compare removing Trout from the Angels lineup to removing Cespedes from the A's?

Nobody is conceding the division, just pointing out that the A's offense is really good and that they added another top flight starter to an already deep rotation

i think the A's get the short end of this deal. there's no way they sign lester, so they just gave up cespedes for a 2 month rental. if it gets them the world series, then it's a win. otherwise, the angels long term prospects have improved by the A's making this trade.

Edited by ukyah