• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

41 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I'd rather have Rengifo than Adames.... And I don't like Rengifo.

Rengifo is so far a league average bat with negative defense at shortstop. Adames was a top 5-10 defensive shortstop in 2022 (depending what metric you favor) with above league average hitting (about 110 wRC+) and had actually been better with his bat the two previous seasons (roughly 120 wRC+). That's a really good player, and he was only 27 this year. 

Rengifo has yet to show he's anywhere close to that valuable. He could be, but he's not there based on what we've seen to date. 

29 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

The Lion is tweeting again. Just cause I know how much you all love him:

Obviously, taken with a grain of salt, but this is interesting if there's any truth behind it. 

I guess the question we will find out next week is "Are the Angels going to go over the tax?"

By all means, if they do sign a top FA SS then i'm getting ready for Angels baseball in October. 

3 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah.  Bowden doesn't really seem to know anything and just spits out random stuff.  "Angels could sign one of the top four SSs or could trade for a SS."  Yeah, okay, that's nice.  

If Bowden is talking about a player's tools or abilities, people should listen.  If he's talking about player movement or what a team should do.... People would get greater insight asking their crazy uncle what the meaning of life is after he's 97% into a 12 pack and bottle of Jack.

12 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

If Bowden is talking about a player's tools or abilities, people should listen.  If he's talking about player movement or what a team should do.... People would get greater insight asking their crazy uncle what the meaning of life is after he's 97% into a 12 pack and bottle of Jack.

His trade hypotheticals got torn apart by baseballtradevalues a while back when they compared his hypotheticals to their system. He does have connections, though, and I have seen him break news, but he's definitely no Passan or Rosenthal. Heck, Boob Nightengale is probably more reliable on that front.  

6 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I thought we would give O'Hoppe the job, he couldn't be any worse than the catchers were last year and he has the potential to do much better...

So in this regard, I feel like there are a few factors to consider:

1.  He hasn't played a game above AA yet.  He looked good in the few games he played, but they were just that - a few games.  Catchers do take time to develop, probably more than other players given all the nuances involved with pitching.  I saw the promotion as more of a "we will have to add him to the 40-man roster regardless, so let's reward his nice season with a few games at the MLB level."

2.  Probably not an insignificant factor, but years of service matter a lot to FOs.  For players who haven't yet played on the team, I think as long as they are in the minors for about 3 weeks of the season, they'll avoid accruing a full year of service, which means an extra year of team control.  O'Hoppe was on the roster for a little over a week I think.  I don't know the exact number, but I am assuming they would need to keep him in the minors for about a month to ensure they get that extra year of control.  

What I am expecting to see is a backup catcher to go along with Stassi, and that as the season wears on, O'Hoppe will earn his way onto the MLB club and be installed as the starter moving forward.

To the question of having good depth on the bench, I'm hopeful we sign a good SS off the FA market and have Fletcher/Rengifo/Soto as the options for 2B/SS/3B and the bench. Instead of having Velazquez, Wong, Stefanic as starters should one of our starters go down. 

Soto/Rengifo/Fletcher can easily slot in at 3B and give Rendon some days off to keep him healthy and then you got a good RH bat off the bench late in the game. 

12 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

To the question of having good depth on the bench, I'm hopeful we sign a good SS off the FA market and have Fletcher/Rengifo/Soto as the options for 2B/SS/3B and the bench. Instead of having Velazquez, Wong, Stefanic as starters should one of our starters go down. 

Soto/Rengifo/Fletcher can easily slot in at 3B and give Rendon some days off to keep him healthy and then you got a good RH bat off the bench late in the game. 

Yes.  When you acquire a better starting player everybody moves down the depth chart improving depth.

Go get a premium SS!