• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

2 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

I agree best run organization that will spend money. Seems like money spent goes in right places. With all that said no WS Championship since 1988

Ehh, I know it's popular to discount 2020, but given all 30 teams participated in the abbreviated season and had an equal shot at the title, I would say 2020 counts.  If we had won that year, I certainly would have counted it, and I'm sure everyone else here would have, too.

33 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

The Dodgers are the best run organization in the sport and the benchmark of what most aspire to achieve.  They are excellent at drafting and developing talent, and also of knowing which talent to trade and which talent to keep.  They seem to trade away prospects that are good but regular players, and manage to keep the ones who develop into stars.

I don't know the financials, but it seems they invest a ton into scouting, analytics, scouting, etc.  

With 111 wins many Dodger fans want to get rid of Dave Roberts.

35 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

The Dodgers are the best run organization in the sport and the benchmark of what most aspire to achieve.  They are excellent at drafting and developing talent, and also of knowing which talent to trade and which talent to keep.  They seem to trade away prospects that are good but regular players, and manage to keep the ones who develop into stars.

I don't know the financials, but it seems they invest a ton into scouting, analytics, scouting, etc.  

Guggenheim understood the importance of developing your own.

Minasian seems to be on the right track, with of course work to be done.

2 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

With 111 wins many Dodger fans want to get rid of Dave Roberts.

They're looking for someone to blame for their early exit.  Maybe they should instead blame Stan Kasten.  Stan Kasten's current Dodgers seem to essentially be the same as Stan Kasten's 1990s Braves - many division titles, 1 WS title, and many early playoff exists despite continuously fielding a strong team.  

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Guggenheim understood the importance of developing your own.

Minasian seems to be on the right track, with of course work to be done.

The Guggenheim group also knew the right person to hire for the job.  Andrew Friedman morphed the Rays into a powerhouse despite having no payroll and playing in the hardest division in baseball with an unbalanced schedule.  There were some debates during that time as to how much of that success should be attributed to Friedman and how much to Maddon, but it appears that time has rather resoundingly weighed in on that one.

Friedman is probably the greatest architect of his time in terms of creating a powerhouse.  Fortunately, his actions can be studied and teams can learn from him and emulate what he does.  Anthopolous is probably a close second, and fortunately, we poached his second in command to run our team.

4 hours ago, TempeAngel said:

Got it. I obviously agree with your premise. It was brutal watching Velazquez, Wade, Duffy, Mayfield and others last year. Three of those guys were on the opening day roster. The fourth, Velazquez, came up and was starting after one week. 

I  just didn't understand why you added Soto to the list. He was not part of our lack of depth last year but was listed with the guys who were. Soto is 22, they are 28-32. Personally, I would like to see Soto start the season at AAA.

I would like us to add short term, cost effective depth at SS this year that is an upgrade to what we have now. I posted on another thread earlier today I would love to make a play for Adames. I don't know if the Brewers would move him now or at what cost but two years of control would be perfect. It would be an upgrade like Renfroe and Urshela but not a major move that ties us up and gets in the way of re-signing Ohtani. There are others out there in the trade market and it feels like Minasian is looking there versus the FA market.

what a great trade that was for Milwaukee.  I think it would take a ton to pry him away.   I feel like if there were going to be something there between us and the brew crew for one of their MIFers, it would have already happened and would have more likely been for Urias or Wong.  

Age isn't a determining factor for me in terms of depth or lack thereof.  If your primary depth is a 22yo who spent most of the year in AA and may have learned to hit yet still probably has a ceiling of being a back up defender then you are setting yourself up to fail. 

I included Soto because he's part of the depth problem in the MIF.  Granted, he's got a bit of upside.  A bit.  But a player that is somewhat redundant to Fletcher and Rengifo is still very much likely to be better than him in 2023.  

4 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Marlins made the post-season in 2020.

Enough said.

In that sense, the fact that a team had to navigate a 16 team playoff field, vs the traditional 10 team playoff field (at the time, as it's now 12 teams) actually probably makes that WS title even more impressive, as they had to beat more teams to win it.

I denno, everyone's different.  I'm guessing had we won, everyone here would have counted it, as opposed to saying 2002 was our last time.

5 hours ago, Stradling said:

2020 was a real championship it was simply different. If the Angels won I’d consider it real, so I’ll consider it real for the Dodgers as well. 

It’s “real” yes. They did win the WS that year.

But Jason Acuna did once played center in a basketball game, and Steve Bushemy did enjoy being the most handsome man in a room once.

Edited by Dtwncbad

12 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I'm not entirely positive, but likely the tax that is due is somewhat moot.  I think for owners, they want to avoid being repeat offenders, given how the penalty increases depending on how many consecutive years you are above it.

I am guessing Arte will aim to be below it.  It is likely not the most important point, but for someone who has always strived to stay below, I don't see why he'd go above it now.  Also, the moves that have been made so far (mainly acquiring guys on expiring contracts at reasonable costs) likely indicates the plan to not significantly increase payroll.

Hmm, I'm probably misremembering, but I have this notion that MLB gave the Guggenheim group some exemptions on payroll limits and maybe some other spiffs when they bought the team to restore the Dodgers to being a contender.

I'll just say it'd be in the interests of all of baseball to have Ohtani and Trout be serious contenders next year

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

In that sense, the fact that a team had to navigate a 16 team playoff field, vs the traditional 10 team playoff field (at the time, as it's now 12 teams) actually probably makes that WS title even more impressive, as they had to beat more teams to win it.

I denno, everyone's different.  I'm guessing had we won, everyone here would have counted it, as opposed to saying 2002 was our last time.

The path during the post-season was more difficult.   But the path to get to it was easier. 

12 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I'm not entirely positive, but likely the tax that is due is somewhat moot.  I think for owners, they want to avoid being repeat offenders, given how the penalty increases depending on how many consecutive years you are above it.

I am guessing Arte will aim to be below it.  It is likely not the most important point, but for someone who has always strived to stay below, I don't see why he'd go above it now.  Also, the moves that have been made so far (mainly acquiring guys on expiring contracts at reasonable costs) likely indicates the plan to not significantly increase payroll.

The first two consecutive years going over tax threshold aren’t bad at all, just decent int’l money lost along with the tax.   It’s going three straight years where the draft pick loss starts.

5 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

If Dodgers sign Verlander they may not spend for Ohtani after 2023. Just a thought with pitching depth for Dodgers would be so deep. They also may sign a SS so just maybe be out of Ohtani if he becomes a free agent. 

Nobody will need to spend for Ohtani if the Angels get to the playoffs to make him want to stay. 
Just a thought.

24 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

If you value the franchise legacy value of “the Trout/Ohtani era”, maybe you are begging for what I am begging for.

The Angels immediately need a mega wealthy reckless spender as the next owner.

Imagine this team with Rodon, a premium SS, and an Ohtani extension. 

Please?

Yes for the premium SS considering this team historically likes a star SS with GG potential. 

The Angels still need a SS to contend (IMO), and this is the only year left where they can give Ohtani reasons to stay.
If i'm Ohtani, i'd want the best lineup on the field behind me everyday.