• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

14 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Why?

Will be 37, FB down around 91.5 or so.  A smoke and mirrors guy at this point of his career, someone getting by on guile.  To his credit he excels at it, but he can't really manufacture outs on his own anymore -- so its a preference thing. 

He's in that family of pitchers I worry about in a post shift world.  But this isn't like my blanket opposition to Matt Harvey, or Matt Garza where I was sure they were likely to bust or be over-pays.  I just think the walk rate last year was kind of fluky and the other peripherals save for quality of contact are worrisome.  Ill add a baseball savant graph later.

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Will be 37, FB down around 91.5 or so.  A smoke and mirrors guy at this point of his career, someone getting by on guile.  To his credit he excels at it, but he can't really manufacture outs on his own anymore -- so its a preference thing. 

He's in that family of pitchers I worry about in a post shift world.  But this isn't like my blanket opposition to Matt Harvey, or Matt Garza where I was sure they were likely to bust or be over-pays.  I just think the walk rate last year was kind of fluky and the other peripherals save for quality of contact are worrisome.  Ill add a baseball savant graph later.

Thank you for the explanation, @Inside Pitch. That's a fair assessment. 

I guess I just would rather have someone with a better track record come in than count on one of Silseth, Canning, C-Rod, Davidson. 

personally at the moment, Othani, Sandy,Detmers and I guess Anderson are untouchable.  Personally I wouldn't mind trading Suarez for the right peiece or also wouldn't mind keeping him inro the season for a need or the right guy (Ie Burnes or Woodruff). 

If they are willing to go over the payrolls limits from the past; I say sign on of Evolidi or Senga. Sign Jansen, Trade for Some Bp arms. Trade Suarez for something nice. 

50 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

wait up, hold up. Lets not get to trade happy! Lets not get to eager to trade sandy. 

You still got sandy on a cost control contract for a few more years. Solid value for a 2/3. 

Rather just sign another pitcher and go for it. 

Agree 100%. And he's not going anywhere.

He has four more years of control, is scheduled to make $2.8 M next year, had a great season last year and is only getting better.

Good teams build on guys like Sandoval they don't swap them out for a FA that will cost 3/$50 M. Sure, go after Bassit, but not at the expense of Sandoval.

I don't think Minasian would ever do something like that.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Thank you for the explanation, @Inside Pitch. That's a fair assessment. 

I guess I just would rather have someone with a better track record come in than count on one of Silseth, Canning, C-Rod, Davidson. 

Here are the ranks..  Basically he's relying almost exclusively on a low walk rate and soft contact..

image.png

Me no likey!

59 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Could be. Didn't read it so you may be correct. This was just tweeted out today though so maybe he reiterated it on a radio program?

It's possible. Dude didn't leave a source on it, though, so it's hard to tell. 

Here's what he said on Friday: "Next up on their agenda: shortstop. They’ve been scouring both leagues for a trade option, but also could surprise the industry and sign one of the star free-agent shortstops (Trea Turner, Carlos Correa, Xander Bogaerts, Dansby Swanson)."

Doesn't mention Adames there, however, so it may be a new thing. I'm not sure the Brewers will even move Adames, though, and if they do it's probably out of our budget. 

51 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Here's what he said on Friday: "Next up on their agenda: shortstop. They’ve been scouring both leagues for a trade option, but also could surprise the industry and sign one of the star free-agent shortstops (Trea Turner, Carlos Correa, Xander Bogaerts, Dansby Swanson)."

Doesn't mention Adames there, however, so it may be a new thing. I'm not sure the Brewers will even move Adames, though, and if they do it's probably out of our budget. 

Yeah, I think Adames would be a gross overpay for his services. 

I know he plays good defense and hits HR's, but that's about it. He struck out 166 times in 139 games and posted a weak .298 OBP.

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

I don’t think it’s a new thing, I think it’s just the same thing from Friday.

Adames was listed as a “trade target” by Bowden in that same piece.

38 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I don’t think it’s a new thing, I think it’s just the same thing from Friday.

Adames was listed as a “trade target” by Bowden in that same piece.

Yeah.  Bowden doesn't really seem to know anything and just spits out random stuff.  "Angels could sign one of the top four SSs or could trade for a SS."  Yeah, okay, that's nice.