• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

12 minutes ago, Trendon said:

If he's hinting at something with that photo, that'd be my guess.

The fact that this picture of him specifically has Dusty in it makes me think that it's not him returning to the Reds, otherwise he'd use some other picture of him in a Reds uniform.

I could see Dusty, who seems to have Crane's ear, pulling for Cueto since he had him in CIN. But the Astros have a full rotation, so idk.

They don't have Verlander anymore, of course Cueto doesn't replace him, but who knows. It's interesting to say the least

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’d much rather have Bassitt and Adames than Sandoval and Andrus. 

My point is I'd rather save the 1st round pick we'd lose for signing Bassit and keep Sandoval and sign a FA SS on the market. Even if we don't sign a top FA SS, we can go with Fletcher or sign Andrus for one season and let Neto develop over an entire season in AA/AAA in 2023. Rengifo/Neto in 2024 looks good to me.

The Brewers don't really need Sandoval as they have Burnes, Woodruff, Peralta, Lauer and Ashby/Houser.

3 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

just posting to discuss what we think about the Angels going after Bassitt if this is true at all. I'd like it.

I don’t think this account is a legit source of any kind.  I also highly doubt the Angels will spend the remainder of their money on another SP when their are other significant holes to fill.

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

I don’t think this account is a legit source of any kind.  I also highly doubt the Angels will spend the remainder of their money on another SP when their are other significant holes to fill.

I am sure the idea is if they sign a pitcher they will then trade a pitcher for those other holes.

2 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

Good lord no.

We need Sandoval. Especially if Ohtani leaves. You can never have too many good pitchers. It would also be foolish to just assume Anderson is going to who he was last year again. 

This is why they need to just sign a damn shortstop. It’s unlikely they’ll do what’s needed and spend their way out of this mess but trading Sandoval for a guy who posted a .298 OBP last season ain’t it.

I still think there’s a decent chance they can pluck Rosario at a rather reasonable cost.  The Guardians have a stud at 2B in Gimenez who can also play SS.  Their top prospect is also a SS who will likely be ready this season.  The Guardians are similar to the Rays in that they trade away expensive players before they hit free agency so they can recoup some value in the process.

Rosario’s trade cost will be way less than Adames, so I’m hopeful they can work something out.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

It's not, but the idea is there. If the Angels actually are looking to keep spending in either the starting pitching market or the SS market, then a trade could be made to fulfill the other. 
Just a food for thought kind of thing. 

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I am sure the idea is if they sign a pitcher they will then trade a pitcher for those other holes.

Bassit will likely cost around 20mil/yr.  The SS options in the trade market all likely cost close to 10mil in salary.  I don’t think they can pull this off without going over the luxury tax, which I doubt will happen.

1 minute ago, angelsnationtalk said:

It's not, but the idea is there. If the Angels actually are looking to keep spending in either the starting pitching market or the SS market, then a trade could be made to fulfill the other. 
Just a food for thought kind of thing. 

The rationale makes sense, but I think financially it probably won’t pan out, unless they are fine going over the luxury tax.  That’s always possible, but it seems doubtful to me.

47 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Bassit will likely cost around 20mil/yr.  The SS options in the trade market all likely cost close to 10mil in salary.  I don’t think they can pull this off without going over the luxury tax, which I doubt will happen.

If Bassit + SS in trade = 30 million I'd rather sign Correa for 30 per year and keep our young SP. 

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

Who knows how much money halos will spend. Bassitt would give Angels a very solid 6-man rotation. If Ohtani leaves still have 5 for 2023. Never have enough pitching. Only one other major hole is SS and can fill in with Andrus and give Neto another year.

4 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yeah... I'd take any of those three RHP's in Cueto, Eovaldi or Bassit, but no way in hell do I trade Sandoval for Adames or any SS tbh. 

When you have 4-5 really good free agent SS's out there it would be ridiculous IMO to trade one of our top starting pitchers for a SS. Especially since they already have Rengifo, Neto, Paris, Fletcher and Soto in the fold already. 

Sandoval a budding Cole Hamels, do not trade your best LHP.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

I still think there’s a decent chance they can pluck Rosario at a rather reasonable cost.  The Guardians have a stud at 2B in Gimenez who can also play SS.  Their top prospect is also a SS who will likely be ready this season.  The Guardians are similar to the Rays in that they trade away expensive players before they hit free agency so they can recoup some value in the process.

Rosario’s trade cost will be way less than Adames, so I’m hopeful they can work something out.

And it fits the one year contract strategy employed in acquiring Urshela and Renfroe.   Go for it in 2023, and then the new ownership figures it out going forward (including hopefully re-signing Ohtani).

54 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

If Bassit + SS in trade = 30 million I'd rather sign Correa for 30 per year and keep our young SP. 

Both of those plans would bring them over the luxury tax cap and I don't see that happening.

I do agree we should keep Sandoval. It would be foolish to trade him. He's developing into a front of the rotation pitcher and is under control for four more years.

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

And it fits the one year contract strategy employed in acquiring Urshela and Renfroe.   Go for it in 2023, and then the new ownership figures it out going forward (including hopefully re-signing Ohtani).

I think Cleveland guards Rosario until all 4 top SS sign. Then see who needs a SS to get best possible deal. Rosario would be 1 year rental and cost over 10 mill plus prospect. If that fails Andrus on maybe a 5 mill contract, he was a 3 war player last year.

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Who knows how much money halos will spend. Bassitt would give Angels a very solid 6-man rotation. If Ohtani leaves still have 5 for 2023. Never have enough pitching. Only one other major hole is SS and can fill in with Andrus and give Neto another year.

I mean I'm not against the idea, but I'll believe it when I see it in terms of Moreno going over the luxury tax.  The moves made this offseason, as well as Arte's past history, makes it seem very unlikely to me he'd do this.  

I imagine we will acquire a SS on an expiring contract, which will help improve our team, while allowing the future owner a clean slate to work with in terms of payroll decisions.

9 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I mean I'm not against the idea, but I'll believe it when I see it in terms of Moreno going over the luxury tax.  The moves made this offseason, as well as Arte's past history, makes it seem very unlikely to me he'd do this.  

I imagine we will acquire a SS on an expiring contract, which will help improve our team, while allowing the future owner a clean slate to work with in terms of payroll decisions.

If he goes over lux tax by 10 million or 20 what would he have to pay? He is selling team just add a few million to his 3 billion he will get for selling.

4 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

If he goes over lux tax by 10 million or 20 what would he have to pay? He is selling team just add a few million to his 3 billion he will get for selling.

I guess the question is, what does he have to gain by adding more payroll and going above the luxury tax?  He won't even be the owner when the season is over.  Does he really care that much that this team wins, to the point that he'd go above and beyond his previous trends financially?

29 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I guess the question is, what does he have to gain by adding more payroll and going above the luxury tax?  He won't even be the owner when the season is over.  Does he really care that much that this team wins, to the point that he'd go above and beyond his previous trends financially?

He already has added this year. We do not know how long before new owners will be in place.