• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Jose Quintana (1 year, $8 million)

mmc

23 minutes ago, stormngt said:

In fairness Tehran probably would have been a lot better had he not had Covid and had a spring training.  I am betting he has a much better year this year.

I agree.  I was actually prepared for us to sign Teheran and this board to explode. I feel like Teheran and Quintana will both have decent bottom of the rotation type years. 

10 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I'm going to laugh, and cry if after that passionate and logical response, Quintana still end up being Teheran. 

It would suck.   

Of all the one year SP contracts the Angels have signed in recent years, Quintana to me looks like the least volatile.  I just want him to actually be what he's been and not find a time machine to when he was 25, or a FB that's deserted him, or a pitch that he actually has success with.

Id consider 170 innings of 100-105 ERA+ baseball to be quite the success at this point.

Ok, so my perspective has changed a little.

While I still don't think the Angels are gonna get Bauer, I do believe they still have a shot at him. I think what it comes down to is whether or not Arte wants Bauer. I don't think it's Perry's call. I think it's Arte's. If Arte wants Bauer, signing Quintana or any perceived payroll constraints won't restrict them from signing Bauer. The biggest obstacle to them signing Bauer is Arte, and we just don't know what he's thinking.

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

He's had an FIP above 3.80 twice in his 9 year career.  In 2018, and his partial rookie season.  

His hr/fb rate bumped up considerably when he joined the cubs.  Can you say marine layer?  

I really like this add btw.  

Exactly.  Quintana has been a solid mid-rotation SP for most of his career, generating fWARs between 3-4.  He struggled a bit more with the Cubs, but perhaps part of that is because Wrigley is a significant hitters' park.  Playing in Anaheim should certainly help.

Again, no one is saying this is *THE GUY* that'll put us over the top.  But for a team that desperately needs pitching, getting a mid-rotation SP on a 1/8 deal is huge.  People see "one year deal" and assume he will pitch like Harvey and Teheran.  But Quintana's quite a bit better than both of them.

Now, if Quintana is our only SP addition, that'll be hugely disappointing, but I am better he is not.

8 hours ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Lol at people defending this move like it takes us to playoff caliber by itself. It’s okay to let people be skeptical of this organizations ability to put together a competent starting rotation. 

No, it doesn't, but it helps us on that course.  We need two SPs, and we just acquired a mid-rotation SP.  For a team with an elite offense and pretty good defense, that certainly does help us out.  Minasian is likely not done, and I am guessing we will see another significant SP added before the offseason ends.

8 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

1. If this is somehow a precursor to Bauer, I give the offseason an A. If not, it's fine, but I'll wait to see how it turns out before planning the parade.

2. If they grab someone else on a one year deal, it puts the rotation in extremely precarious position for 2022. Gotta assume they're still bringing someone in for more than one year. Could be Odorizzi. Won't be Tanaka. Doubtful it's Richards or Paxton. Bauer is possible, but I'm dubious unless Arte has simply decided he's not messing around and will push the budget to make a real improvement on the rotation for a change. 

3. Good news is, unlike Eppler, Atlanta reportedly had a history of good one year deals while Minasian was there. Hopefully it carries over.

That is exactly how I see it.  AA famously signs players to a lot of similar-type deals that we are seeing Minasian do.  They don't all work out, but it has generated good degrees of success there, such as the season Ozuna just had with them.

One-year deals help players stay motivated - they want to perform well so they can earn a bigger contract as a free agent in the next offseason, etc.

I do think we will acquire another legit SP.  I do not think it'll be Bauer, although I don't really see many suitors remaining for him at this point (both Mets and Blue Jays seem unlikely).  I'd be down to trade for Gray, who would add ~10mil of payroll.  We estimated that we had somewhere around 20, maybe 25mil left to spend.  Gray + Quintana would be ~18mil, which would still leave a bit left over to add another piece (corner LHH OF or reliever).

8 hours ago, Bronson said:

Well that’s just not gonna cut it. We do not get to the playoffs next year if that’s all we do. Unless Ohtani becomes a legit ace and can stay healthy all year long and Bundy continues his domination from last year...

A lot of ifs.

Assuming playoffs are expanded to at least 6 teams, and with the Indians waving the white flag this year, and both Houston and the A's weaker, I think we have a good path to reaching the playoffs, even with the team we have now.  That said, we are likely not done and will make another significant addition.

7 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

It would suck.   

Of all the one year SP contracts the Angels have signed in recent years, Quintana to me looks like the least volatile.  I just want him to actually be what he's been and not find a time machine to when he was 25, or a FB that's deserted him, or a pitch that he actually has success with.

Id consider 170 innings of 100-105 ERA+ baseball to be quite the success at this point.

Yes.  There is nothing wrong with adding a solid mid-rotation SP.  He is not a #1 or #2 SP, but he can deliver 150+ IP and probably at least a 3 fWAR, which would make him one of our best pitchers really.  I see it as Bundy, Heaney, Quintana, Canning, Barria, Ohtani at the current moment, with Sandoval stretched out in AAA to serve as immediate depth.

Most teams need 8-9 solid SPs to navigate through a 162 season.  Obviously a few of those pitchers need options, so they can be shuttled back and forth to AAA. With Quintana's addition, we have 6 solid SP options, with Ohtani being a big wild card at the moment.  Add one more SP to the mix, and things look even better.

To me, at this point, given our budget, it would seem to make the most sense to acquire Gray, as opposed to signing Bauer.

Gray would fit our budget considerably better long-term, and it'd also likely leave some payroll space to help us acquire either a LHH OF or another reliever.

Sure, it'd cost some prospect capital, but that is the price ot pay for acquiring an undervalued SP under contract for multiple years.  That will help offset some of the upcoming payroll increases that will occur from players entering arbitration, as well as the possibility that we re-sign one of our pending FA SPs.

Not sure what a fair deal for Gray would be, but likely we could acquire him without trading Adell.  Maybe a combo trade for Gray + Garnett would help us address both SP and the bullpen.

6 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

With the price on Bauer I’d almost be inclined to go harder after gray and then sign Odirizzi or Paxton 

if you can make bundy your 4th best pitcher you did a good job. 

I highly doubt we add 3 SPs.  It's likely one of Gray, Odorizzi, or Paxton - not Gray + one of them.  

With Bundy, Heaney, Quintana, and Canning, we have a number of guys who can be considered solid SP2-SP4 types.  What we need is someone like Gray, who can profile at the top of the rotation while not costing a fortune, and likely a depth piece or two who can start off in the minors but be available to be recalled if/when injuries occur.  For now, Sandoval is one guy who can do that, but we likely need at least one more.

22 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

With the price on Bauer I’d almost be inclined to go harder after gray and then sign Odirizzi or Paxton 

if you can make bundy your 4th best pitcher you did a good job. 

4th best?

As it stands right now Bundy is still our best pitcher. 

If we do what you said above then Bundy will be our 2nd best pitcher.

We need two top of the rotation arms still. Quintana doesn’t move the needle much