• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Jose Quintana (1 year, $8 million)

mmc

22 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

4th best?

As it stands right now Bundy is still our best pitcher. 

If we do what you said above then Bundy will be our 2nd best pitcher.

We need two top of the rotation arms still. Quintana doesn’t move the needle much

We need one TOR arm and another bullpen arm or two. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

We need one TOR arm and another bullpen arm or two. 

Yes, this.  Bundy is an SP2/SP3.  Heaney and Quintana should both be SP3 types.  Canning is more of an SP4.  Barria is sort of a wild card, but I see him as more of a SP4/SP5.

Context matters, though.  We should have one of the best offenses in baseball and a fairly strong defense.  We don’t need multiple TOR starters.  So yeah, I agree - someone like Gray would be perfect, along with a reliever and perhaps a LHH corner OF.

Just now, CanadianHalo said:

IMO 2.

We have for quite sometime now. This signing didn’t change anything. This was more of a back end depth signing.  At least it would be on a team that was trying to win it all

Someone like Quintana, who has posted mainly seasons with an fWAR above 3, is more than just a backend SP, IMO.

25 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wonder if the Angels signing Quintana signals that they got tired of waiting for Bauer and decided to go in a different direction.

We will know more with the next move or two. If they sign $10 million worth of relievers or a $5 million right fielder or if we trade for another starter then we have our answer. 

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wonder if the Angels signing Quintana signals that they got tired of waiting for Bauer and decided to go in a different direction.

Highly doubt it.  If the Angels were in on Bauer before the signing, they are more than likely still in on Bauer.  The Angels needed two pitchers, I wouldn't read too much into the order of the signings.  It is just as likely that Quintana was growing impatient and wanted some clarity in where he is going to play next season.

Edited by eligrba

2 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Highly doubt it.  If the Angels were in on Bauer before the signing, they are more than likely still in on Bauer.  The Angels needed two pitchers, I wouldn't read too much into the order the signings.  It is just as likely that Quintana was growing impatient and wanted some clarity in where he is going to play next season.

Sign Odorizzi, Petit and Colome

I'm willing to let this whole offseason play out and see where we are pitching staff wise, etc.  I don't want to overreact before it's all said & done.  I'm not too happy currently with the lack of a #1-2 type SP who is dependable to take the ball for 30+ starts and go 7+ innings.  I'm tired of these one year deals for guys who to revive their careers or one last payday.  I'm hopeful Q is the depth guy in this offseason and something bigger is coming.  So I'm leaving the pitchfork alone for now....but it's out of the closet and ready for use as needed.   

48 minutes ago, Jay said:

I doubt that the Quintana signing represents any kind of shift in strategy. More probable that Minasian had a few guys like Q on the radar and Q was the one to accept the price at this time. Minasian's options of Bauer, Gray or Odorizzi are minimally affected by the Q signing and in terms of Bauer, likely slightly enhanced.

Just now, Angels 1961 said:

Sign Odorizzi, Petit and Colome

Maybe......Based on the things I read from Minasian, he has offers out there waiting for decisions from others for making his next move.  I don't get the feeling he is doing the off season one player at a time.  I have no issue with Minasian signing Quintana.  I would have had an issue if Eppler did the same contract because of Eppler's track record on signing pitchers. 

I can imagine that the Angels have submitted an offer to Bauer and are engaged in talks with Odorizzi.  In my mind, the only way the Angels pivot away from Bauer is if Odorizzi decides to make a decision before Bauer.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

If Quintana was plan B, were screwed.
Which is to say i dont think it changed anything, hes just another supplemental piece.
So far this off season is giving me the faint whiff of... peanuts. 

12 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

If this sets up a Bauer signing then awesome. However he looks like a 3/4 SP with some potential to rebound. This feels like Teheran all over again. Again coupled with Bauer that's great because he'd be a 4 in our rotation. Let's not pretend this guy alone even remotely pushes the needle. 

Seriously? Like Teheran? It seems Quintana is a lot better. I'm being serious. Please explain.

6 minutes ago, Torridd said:

Seriously? Like Teheran? It seems Quintana is a lot better. I'm being serious. Please explain.

2014-2017 Quintana was very good. Since then he's been downtrending and recently injury problems. 

For me, if healthy, is a solid 3-4 type innings eater, yet IMO that's not what we need unless it is in addition to acquiring a top starter.

I said the exact same sentiment when we signed Teheran. I stated if we paired him with Ryu I liked it......but a top of the rotation starter never came.