• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Jose Quintana (1 year, $8 million)

mmc

there's the answer  - the front office approach - Quintana is a serviceable veteran starter. Can eat some innings I presume,.

make 30 or so starts. Quintana had some very good years in Chicago - White Sox and then the Cubs. 

But it's more of the same a serviceable veteran - not the strong top of the rotation guy we'd prefer. So once again - unless we're out there making a deal for Bauer behind the scenes (don't see him coming here - but anything's possible I guess) it's another 'let's make do' rotation in 2021.

now Quintana at $8 million for 2021 I a pretty good deal - and if he's the fourth / fifth starter I'm OK with that. But I think the Halos plan on him being more of a number 2 or 3 rotation guy and will go with that. More of the same - Halos fans have seen this movie before.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

This signing was fantastic.  Lots of financial flexibility for us still, too.

Never said it was a bad signing. Just said it might take us out of the running for Bauer. I see them trading for a 1-2 starter and using the remaining money for position and bullpen depth.

If this sets up a Bauer signing then awesome. However he looks like a 3/4 SP with some potential to rebound. This feels like Teheran all over again. Again coupled with Bauer that's great because he'd be a 4 in our rotation. Let's not pretend this guy alone even remotely pushes the needle. 

Just now, Bronson said:

Never said it was a bad signing. Just said it might take us out of the running for Bauer. I see them trading for a 1-2 starter and using the remaining money for position and bullpen depth.

Long-term contracts to SPs generally aren't that great.  I would prefer to trade prospect capital for someone like Gray than signing Bauer to a huge deal, personally.

Just now, Erstad Grit said:

If this sets up a Bauer signing then awesome. However he looks like a 3/4 SP with some potential to rebound. This feels like Teheran all over again. Again coupled with Bauer that's great because he'd be a 4 in our rotation. Let's not pretend this guy alone even remotely pushes the needle. 

He's a 3-4 fWAR pitcher when healthy.  That does help quite a bit, IMO.  He is no ace, but for 1/8, that's a steal in terms of value upside.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

I always had the feeling the character Eddie Harris from Major Leagues was based on Don Sutton in his final years.

7 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

1 year and 8 million for Quintana. How the hell did we give 11 million to Matt Harvey?

Desperate?

The only thing Quintana is comparable to the other 1-year deals given by the Angels like Harvey and Teheran is the length of the deal. The comparison ends at that. Quintana is a MUCH better pitcher than any of them. Quintana has had a FIP of 2.99, 3.80, 4.43 and 3.68 the last 4 seasons. Teheran's FIP the last 4 seasons before signing were 4.66, 4.83, 4.95 and 3.69. Quintana's peripherals are the anti-Teheran.

Edited by rafibomb

2 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Quintana is certainly better than Teheran.

Not bad, not here's my question. 

With Quintana, we have Bundy,Heaney, Canning,Ohtani and Barria, that's enough for a 6 man rotation. I truly believe that Barria should get a fair shot. Now the question(s) that needs to be asked;

1. Are we out of Bauer?

2. Is a trade coming up?

3. Is Ohtani not fully healthy

4 is Quintana the backup plan if we miss out on Bauer?

4 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

The only thing Quintana comparable to the other 1-year deals given by the Angels like Harvey and Teheran is the length of the deal. The comparison ends at that. Quintana is a MUCH better pitcher than any of them. Quintana has had a FIP of 2.99, 3.80, 4.43 and 3.68 the last 4 seasons. Teheran's FIP the last 4 seasons before signing were 4.66, 4.83, 4.95 and 4.95. Quintana's peripherals are the anti-Teheran.

Absolutely.  Those who are freaking out because it is a one year deal are misguided.  Quintana is significantly better than Harvey, Tehearan, etc.

5 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

The only thing Quintana comparable to the other 1-year deals given by the Angels like Harvey and Teheran is the length of the deal. The comparison ends at that. Quintana is a MUCH better pitcher than any of them. Quintana has had a FIP of 2.99, 3.80, 4.43 and 3.68 the last 4 seasons. Teheran's FIP the last 4 seasons before signing were 4.66, 4.83, 4.95 and 4.95. Quintana's peripherals are the anti-Teheran.

If he pitches like that he is a steal at that price.