• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Jose Quintana (1 year, $8 million)

mmc

45 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

What are we doing in this thread?

This is a good signing. It's cheap, it's short term, and it makes the Angels better. Hopefully the Angels do more, but this is a good move. Why is everyone trying to make this complicated? If he stinks or gets hurt then we can try to find someone else next year. If he works out, then it's awesome.

I think it's that people want the rotation to be magically fixed immediately, so some will just bitch about anything short of getting a guy of Bauer's caliber or better. It's dumb. This doesn't fix our rotation overnight, but it's a low risk/high reward signing that makes our rotation better than it was two days ago.

These one year deals don't address the future at all. Basically just rentals.

If the player is really good he likely will generate a lot of interest next year and may be too expensive to re-sign.

If he doesn't meet expectations then it means the signing was a dead end move. One and done. But no help for that one season.

If he plays decently but not great or terrible you still have to decide on whether you want him again and work out another contract.

I know finances are a big factor in these signings, but sometimes you outsmart yourself trying to be too cute. 

It really is a gamble, with the expectation that the farm system will have replacement quality players in the pipeline and ready to go in 2022. 

All of Minasian's signings have been for one year. I guess that means 2022 can be a very different roster than 2021.

26 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

These one year deals don't address the future at all. Basically just rentals.

If the player is really good he likely will generate a lot of interest next year and may be too expensive to re-sign.

If he doesn't meet expectations then it means the signing was a dead end move. One and done. But no help for that one season.

If he plays decently but not great or terrible you still have to decide on whether you want him again and work out another contract.

I know finances are a big factor in these signings, but sometimes you outsmart yourself trying to be too cute. 

It really is a gamble, with the expectation that the farm system will have replacement quality players in the pipeline and ready to go in 2022. 

All of Minasian's signings have been for one year. I guess that means 2022 can be a very different roster than 2021.

We are gonna have a lot of money to play around with next offseason. I see us signing one of those big name shortstops. 

15 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Morton, Ray, Minor already signed before halos signed Quintana. Paxton always of IL along with Walker. Tanaka ok byt he costs double what Quintana gets. 

Worth noting: Whichever other pitcher they acquire must be signed for more than this season. 

Most of the remaining options likely only sign for one year. Given that Heaney, Bundy, and Quintana are all on one year deals, that puts us in a *really* bad position going into 2022.

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

Worth noting: Whichever other pitcher they acquire must be signed for more than this season. 

Most of the remaining options likely only sign for one year. Given that Heaney, Bundy, and Quintana are all on one year deals, that puts us in a *really* bad position going into 2022.

Odorrizzi for 3 years, extend Bundy.