• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Jose Quintana (1 year, $8 million)

mmc

4 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Lol at people defending this move like it takes us to playoff caliber by itself. It’s okay to let people be skeptical of this organizations ability to put together a competent starting rotation. 

Literally 0 people are doing this.

Just because someone likes the signing doesn't mean they think it puts us over the top.

Just now, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Lol at people defending this move like it takes us to playoff caliber by itself. It’s okay to let people be skeptical of this organizations ability to put together a competent starting rotation. 

please quote one post in this thread that states it makes the Angels a playoff caliber team?  LOL at saying it doesn't make us better.  

this will be the best 1yr deal for a rotation arm that the Angels have made since I can remember.  Maybe since the turn of the century.   

And that's the thing.  One year deals can work.  The Angels have just been so tremendously awful at them for the better part of two decades that people forget it's a viable option to supplement a team.  Get over your prior bias and look at the actual player.  He's good.  Not great.  But good.  

That’s now a decent 6 man rotation. 

Bundy

Canning

Quintana

Heaney

Ohtani

Barria

Bauer would make it much better, someone like Richards or Walker or Gray would make it deeper. 

What’s better, Richards/Walker and Joc or Bauer and Mazara?

1. If this is somehow a precursor to Bauer, I give the offseason an A. If not, it's fine, but I'll wait to see how it turns out before planning the parade.

2. If they grab someone else on a one year deal, it puts the rotation in extremely precarious position for 2022. Gotta assume they're still bringing someone in for more than one year. Could be Odorizzi. Won't be Tanaka. Doubtful it's Richards or Paxton. Bauer is possible, but I'm dubious unless Arte has simply decided he's not messing around and will push the budget to make a real improvement on the rotation for a change. 

3. Good news is, unlike Eppler, Atlanta reportedly had a history of good one year deals while Minasian was there. Hopefully it carries over.

Just now, Hubs said:

Bundy

Canning

Quintana

Heaney

Ohtani

Barria

Bauer would make it much better, someone like Richards or Walker or Gray would make it deeper. 

I think our next move will be Archer.  And we'll add Folty on a minors deal but he won't amount to much.  Yet the rest of the rotation will actually perform very well. 

Just now, Pancake Bear said:

1. If this is somehow a precursor to Bauer, I give the offseason an A. If not, it's fine, but I'll wait to see how it turns out before planning the parade.

2. If they grab someone else on a one year deal, it puts the rotation in extremely precarious position for 2022. Gotta assume they're still bringing someone in for more than one year. Could be Odorizzi. Won't be Tanaka. Doubtful it's Richards or Paxton. Bauer is possible, but I'm dubious unless Arte has simply decided he's not messing around and will push the budget to make a real improvement on the rotation for a change. 

your #2 (Har har) is a concern.  Unless Rodriguez and Detmers come to play this year then you're potentially rebuilding the entire rotation in 2022 which is why I'd like to see them at least lock up Bundy for awhile.  (frankly, one way or another)  

3 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Bundy

Canning

Quintana

Heaney

Ohtani

Barria

Forgetting that we need bullpen help. Petit, Colome, Walker and Joc.

4 minutes ago, JAHV76 said:

Low cost fit gap option for depth still leaves budget for another pitcher 

I don't know if we are going to get another starting pitcher.

1. Bundy
  2. Heaney
  3. Canning
  4. Barria
  5. Quintana

Bundy, Heaney and Quintana make quite a bit.  That leaves Canning (3.99 ERA and 1.367 WHIP last year) and Barria (3.62 ERA and 1.113 WHIP last season).  Factor in you may but probably not have Ohtani.  That's a lot of starting pitchers if we add another.  

I appreciate this move for the simple flexibility it brings. Decent. 

This also gives me a slight thought that maybe Archer isn’t a far reach of an idea. Or that shortening the game may be the Bauer out clause. 

I just don’t know how I feel about that yet. 

Should calm the nerves a bit for the does he pitch / do something fans. 

34 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

2019 Teheran 3.81 era, 1.32 whip

2019 Quintana 4.68 era, 1.38 whip 

2018 Teheran was better too

The people who were talking up Teheran were making the same mistake you are now -- they were looking at his ERA and not the predictive data.   

The two guys are nothing alike, Quintana's chances for future success aren't built on him completely remaking who he is as a pitcher.  Teheran had potential implosion written all over him, the red flags were numerous.

All that being said..  Quintana is not a front line guy, he's the second pitcher you add after you add an an actual difference maker.

1 minute ago, Angels 1961 said:

Forgetting that we need bullpen help. Petit, Colome, Walker and Joc.

They will not sign all those guys for the Pen. One of the two maybe. Or Justin Wilson or Jose Alvarez or Blake Parker. Or even Bedrosian. Don’t know what the budget will be after another starter and a Lefty OF.

The pen is currently Iglesias, Buttrey, Mayers, Claudio, Pena, Rivera, and Barria. There are two spots left. One will be Suarez or Reyes or Keller or the Jose Quijada.

The other could be a proven arm.

9 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

I don't know if we are going to get another starting pitcher.

1. Bundy
  2. Heaney
  3. Canning
  4. Barria
  5. Quintana

Bundy, Heaney and Quintana make quite a bit.  That leaves Canning (3.99 ERA and 1.367 WHIP last year) and Barria (3.62 ERA and 1.113 WHIP last season).  Factor in you may but probably not have Ohtani.  That's a lot of starting pitchers if we add another.  

Considering the halos track record the more pitchers the better.