• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Jose Quintana (1 year, $8 million)

mmc

29 minutes ago, Stradling said:

He had thumb surgery.  That is different in my eyes than an elbow or shoulder or oblique type of injury that can reoccur.  

I thought he had shoulder issues in addition to the thumb surgery.

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

Heaney, Canning -- Ohtani.   All three are injury risks, adding a guy that if nothing else has managed to avoid non dishwashing injuries is a plus.

My favorite pitcher injuries that I can remember were Justin Verlander getting injured playing Guitar Hero, and Carlos Zambrano getting carpal tunnel from using his computer to "email his brother."

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

My favorite pitcher injuries that I can remember were Justin Verlander getting injured playing Guitar Hero, and Carlos Zambrano getting carpal tunnel from using his computer to "email his brother."

WTF dude it’s been a weird day but I don’t get this

3 minutes ago, Taylor said:

There was some blog back in the day that used to write satirical articles as Carlos Zambrano that just hammered the computer story as long as they could. It was great.

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

Carl Pavano lacerated his spleen while shoveling snow...   Steve Sparks separated his shoulder trying to rip a phone book in half...   But the greatest (funniest) injury of all time has to be Glenallen Hill falling through a glass table after having a nightmare about spiders..   Not a pitcher I know, but still just LOL funny.,

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Carl Pavano lacerated his spleen while shoveling snow...   Steve Sparks separated his shoulder trying to rip a phone book in half...   But the greatest (funniest) injury of all time has to be Glenallen Hill falling through a glass table after having a nightmare about spiders..   Not a pitcher I know, but still just LOL funny.,

I thought Hill walked through a second story window in a hotel. That's the version I remember hearing.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Those are excellent.

Steve Sparks was on the Angels when I was just becoming a fan (at like age 10). He was kind of a lanky dude, no?

Don't you know that as soon as a P signs with the Angels they immediately & miraculously have injury issues?!?  Seriously though, as a depth sign it's good.  But thinking Quintana solves our SP rotation issues is somewhat laughable.  The mere fact he was available and signed a one year $8M says it all for what the other 29 teams think about him.  Also what Angels think of him that he's not getting a multi-year big dollar contract.  Just look what some other SPs/RPs are getting (even in this market).  Maybe they hit gold like they did with Bundy...but let's not over-homer this signing.

4 minutes ago, Don said:

I thought Hill walked through a second story window in a hotel. That's the version I remember hearing.

I've heard that version as well.   But most people cite the other version..

1990 - Glenallen Hill

Hill showed up at the ballpark on crutches in early July, with bruises, cuts, and rugburn on his feet, legs, and elbows. The night before, he claimed to have had a nightmare, "I have a phobia about spiders. In the nightmare, I was trying to get away from spiders. In his sleep, he ran out of his bedroom, crashed through a glass table, and "bounced off a wall." He woke up on his couch with his wife screaming. He was placed on the disabled list. The previous year, Jays pitcher David Wells had a similar issue, putting his hand through a window while sleepwalking and requiring five stitches to fix the thumb on his left hand, which is kind of important for a pitcher. No word on what Wells was dreaming about.

What are we doing in this thread?

This is a good signing. It's cheap, it's short term, and it makes the Angels better. Hopefully the Angels do more, but this is a good move. Why is everyone trying to make this complicated? If he stinks or gets hurt then we can try to find someone else next year. If he works out, then it's awesome.

1 minute ago, eaterfan said:

This is a good signing. It's cheap, it's short term, and it makes the Angels better. Hopefully the Angels do more, but this is a good move. Why is everyone trying to make this complicated? If he stinks or gets hurt then we can try to find someone else next year. If he works out, then it's awesome.

BuT mUh TeHeRaN

Angel fans want Garret Cole still.

I was just about to edit my post to say that moves that aren't for Bauer or Cole can still be good (and are actually necessary).

We spent our Cole money on Rendon, these are the types of moves we have to make to win now. Too many of us are still living in fantasy land.

24 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

And to win in the future! It's a 1 year deal. It doesn't tie us to a bad contract for half a decade.

Five guys 23 mil, and AP 30 mil...  all coming off the books next year when the new GM has had a full season to gauge the farm system and decide which way to go.    Throw in Heaney and Bundy -- that's a significant lump of money that will be opening up, even after guys get raises..

Payroll flexibility is a good thing.

6 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Five guys 23 mil, and AP 30 mil...  all coming off the books next year when the new GM has had a full season to gauge the farm system and decide which way to go.    Throw in Heaney and Bundy -- that's a significant lump of money that will be opening up, even after guys get raises..

Payroll flexibility is a good thing.

It's a lot of money opening up but it's also a lot of holes that will need filling.

51 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Those are excellent.

Steve Sparks was on the Angels when I was just becoming a fan (at like age 10). He was kind of a lanky dude, no?

Small, kinda puny actually...  which is what made the entire thing so funny.   But I guess he watched some motivational video and got all pumped up, went all Wonderdog and jacked his shoulder up.

55 minutes ago, Fourts said:

Don't you know that as soon as a P signs with the Angels they immediately & miraculously have injury issues?!?  Seriously though, as a depth sign it's good.  But thinking Quintana solves our SP rotation issues is somewhat laughable.  The mere fact he was available and signed a one year $8M says it all for what the other 29 teams think about him.  Also what Angels think of him that he's not getting a multi-year big dollar contract.  Just look what some other SPs/RPs are getting (even in this market).  Maybe they hit gold like they did with Bundy...but let's not over-homer this signing.

Not gonna lie -- if I were Quintana I'd look into purchasing a bubble wrap suit...