• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

3 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Can someone please explain how the 5 million or so he would have to pay by going over the luxury is going to bankrupt Arte?

For starters he has a budget, that budget has never been $200 million much less $215 million.  Also who says it will bankrupt him?  

51 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

I'm not a billionaire. I don't see how 5 million is that big of a deal. Especially when you'll likely win a lot more ball games getting you more revenue. People here act like going over the tax will bankrupt him.

I have a savings and checking account. 

But how many shares of GME

2 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

Can someone please explain how the 5 million or so he would have to pay by going over the luxury is going to bankrupt Arte?

Maybe he is also concerned with the overall health of MLB and, after taking one foray into going over, has decided that all ownership should abide within what is essentially a voluntary salary cap.  Maybe he is promoting fiscal responsibility in the owners meetings and doesn't want to invalidate his stance with other owners.  Who knows, but I would never fault any owner for remaining under the tax threshold.

You'll notice almost no owner wants to pay the luxury tax. A few have, sure. But they are usually immediately trying to get under the threshold.

They can pay it. Doesn't mean they want to. And unlike a normal tax, they have a choice in the matter.

I do think at some point Arte may want to bite the bullet and pay it as there may not be any other option. But that's if none of the young guys pan out, which would be a disaster.

Edited by tdawg87

7 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

I'm not clear whether the Angel's budget is based on actual salaries or luxury tax salaries.

7 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

I'm not a billionaire. I don't see how 5 million is that big of a deal. Especially when you'll likely win a lot more ball games getting you more revenue. People here act like going over the tax will bankrupt him.

I have a savings and checking account. 

Not a single person here acts like going over the threshold will bankrupt him. Arte has a budget, he very well could go over that budget.  But he usually doesn’t. 

10 hours ago, Lou said:

You don't run a business, do you?

The Oakland As do. 

They offered Semien 12.5 mil, 500k less than he made in 2020.  Even better the deal called for him to make 2.5 mil in 2021 with 10 mil deferred at a rate of 1 million per year payable over 10 years.  Shockingly Marcus Semien took the Blue Jays one year offer of 18 Mil instead.

8 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

You'll notice almost no owner wants to pay the luxury tax. A few have, sure. But they are usually immediately trying to get under the threshold.

They can pay it. Doesn't mean they want to. And unlike a normal tax, they have a choice in the matter.

I do think at some point Arte may want to bite the bullet and pay it as there may not be any other option. But that's if none of the young guys pan out, which would be a disaster.

The Yankees wanted to get under the cap so badly they willingly gave away Ottavino and threw in a prospect to their most hated division rivals.   Their desire to get under/reset the cap was so great they were willing to give the Red Sox a potential closer/mid season trade piece for "future considerations".

5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The Oakland As do. 

They offered Semien 12.5 mil, 500k less than he made in 2020.  Even better the deal called for him to make 2.5 mil in 2021 with 10 mil deferred at a rate of 1 million per year payable over 10 years.  Shockingly Marcus Semien took the Blue Jays one year offer of 18 Mil instead.

The Yankees wanted to get under the cap so badly they willingly gave away Ottavino and threw in a prospect to their most hated division rivals.   Their desire to get under/reset the cap was so great they were willing to give the Red Sox a potential closer/mid season trade piece for "future considerations".

But have you considered narratives and fans feelings?

With all the talk of "it's just a few million more, Arte can afford it" ..

To become a billionaire, as these owners have, it takes a certain mindset.  Spending extra amounts of money, or paying extra taxes willingly, is usually not part of that mindset.  It is hard for someone to go against their "wiring," so to speak, and do things differently, especially as more and more evidence exists in this sport that you can find considerably value as long as you employ a good GM.

7 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

With all the talk of "it's just a few million more, Arte can afford it" ..

To become a billionaire, as these owners have, it takes a certain mindset.  Spending extra amounts of money, or paying extra taxes willingly, is usually not part of that mindset.  It is hard for someone to go against their "wiring," so to speak, and do things differently, especially as more and more evidence exists in this sport that you can find considerably value as long as you employ a good GM.

Josh Hamilton

28 minutes ago, failos said:

Josh Hamilton

The key part of what I said was - "especially as more and more evidence exists in this sport that you can find considerably value as long as you employ a good GM."

For a long time, Moreno has likely felt that the best approach is to sign/acquire a few stars / splashy players and surround them with whatever.

As time has gone on, and more and more FOs are pivoting towards value-based approaches, perhaps he has likely seen a better approach to be used moving forward.  I mean, all he has to do is look at his splashy signings to see how they have panned out - Pujols, Hamilton, Upton (albeit, he was a trade/extension, but still, a long-term contract), Wilson, etc.  Perhaps he is, finally, shifting towards a different view, and letting his FO make those kinds of decisions.  Who knows.

22 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

The key part of what I said was - "especially as more and more evidence exists in this sport that you can find considerably value as long as you employ a good GM."

For a long time, Moreno has likely felt that the best approach is to sign/acquire a few stars / splashy players and surround them with whatever.

As time has gone on, and more and more FOs are pivoting towards value-based approaches, perhaps he has likely seen a better approach to be used moving forward.  I mean, all he has to do is look at his splashy signings to see how they have panned out - Pujols, Hamilton, Upton (albeit, he was a trade/extension, but still, a long-term contract), Wilson, etc.  Perhaps he is, finally, shifting towards a different view, and letting his FO make those kinds of decisions.  Who knows.

It's not how much money you make, it's how much your money makes for you. If you go over lux tax but have a winning team how much revenue does that bring in.

A few things to address/clear when i said that Perry will have money to spend next year.  

First of all, I considered everything, including rises and Arb and at the moment, i estimate our payroll for next year to be in the range of 120 mil-145 mil. 

In average this gives us about 50-60 mil to spend. 

Now the spending, when i first considered this topic, my plan/idea was that everything went well for us. 

1. Detmer's would replace Quintana's spot

2. Rodriguez will replace one of Bundy/Heaney/3rd starter

That takes 2 our of the 4 spots, which gives us: Canning, Detemer's, Rodriguez, and Barria as a four and if Othani can pitch a full healthy season that gives us 5 Starters. 

Leaving us with a need for a 6th starter. 

Where we could resign Bundy/Heaney. 

Personally, I don't see Bundy being worth anything over 20 mil. He not a power pitcher, i think he'll get an over around 15 mil.

Heaney around 10-12 mil

or we could go the free agency route and spend 20-25 mil on a veteran Ace's

Now the other two positions, SS and Closer.

Preferably i would like Perry to go after Rosenthal this year as for afforadable price and also a backup. 2yrs 12- 14 mil with an option for 3rd year. 

SS we'll see when it get there. 

So basically for this to work, we'll need Detmers and Rodriguez to be called up this season.

Yeah that's about all