• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

7 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I would like to reiterate my stance after being included as someone who was not in favor of acquiring Darvish 

and I don't think the painting ever looked ruined.  It's been a few bush strokes per day yet I have no aspirations of it turning into a masterpiece.  My overall expectation is 'that's kinda nice' and I'll put it in my kitchen.  

Well right now it's looking like the fridge art my preschooler brings home from school.

kyle broflovski drawing GIF by South Park

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Now news is coming out about the Jays pursuing the best remaining FA reliever Rosenthal.

Come on Perry, dude was lights out in 2020.

I'd love Rosenthal, but I wonder if he ends up out of the Angels price range. I also wonder if he's going to want a spot where he can be the closer. Now, he may not have that opportunity in Toronto with Yates there, but he might on another team.

10 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Now news is coming out about the Jays pursuing the best remaining FA reliever Rosenthal.

Come on Perry, dude was lights out in 2020.

I think it’s time we accept that Perry isn’t going to sign any big names.

Here's my two bits about Bauer and Perry.

I think there is a set Price on Bauer that the team does not want to go over. Which I am fine with. 

Second, I think Perry is waiting for next year, to start of with a fresh start. We'll have Pujols of the books and than another 30-40 mil.  Which will give him room to work with.  Now regarding trades, I would not be surprised, if Perry plays the waiting game. Give himself and his staff a chance to see where the system is and see how the development . So, unless there something out there, i do not see any of the top 5 getting traded. 

Now why do i say this? From hearing what Perry has said multiple times, which is to develop internally. Similar to what has happened in Atlanta and with Blue Jays. we have that group of the next talent coming up. Marsh, Adell, Detmers and hopefully Rodriguez will all be up sometimes next year. All of these guys fill a position of need for us, Left, Right and Sp.  

By my count, right now, they have 65 million coming off the books next year. But before you get too excited, you're probably looking at 10 million in arbitration raises, decreasing that number to 55 million. 

If we pretend all things remain static (meaning players perform in 2021 how they did in 2020, or 2019)....

- Raisel Iglesias will need 12 million a year. 

- Jose Iglesias will require 8 million. 

- Dylan Bundy would require 25 million AAV.

- Andrew Heaney, probably 15 million. 

That alone right there is 60 million. The rest would need to be filled internally. Quintana replaced by Detmers, Claudio by Sandoval, etc...

The Angels won't have enough money to go on a spending spree, they'll simply have enough to remain competitive. The only way this team wins without increasing payroll over the CBT threshold is if their prospects pan out. Adell and Marsh are stud corner outfielders and Detmers and Rodriguez step into the rotation and are mid rotation starters or better. Also, it would help a lot of Ohtani's arm got healthy, and Canning and Barria developed. 

The success of this team isn't based on free agency. They just need to spend enough in free agency to prop the team up until less expensive homegrown players can take over. 

Outside of winning at the major league level, the most important thing Perry Minasian can do is continue to stock the farm, particularly with more upside pitching line Detmers and Rodriguez.

Edited by Second Base

58 minutes ago, Second Base said:

By my count, right now, they have 65 million coming off the books next year. But before you get too excited, you're probably looking at 10 million in arbitration raises, decreasing that number to 55 million. 

If we pretend all things remain static (meaning players perform in 2021 how they did in 2020, or 2019)....

- Raisel Iglesias will need 12 million a year. 

- Jose Iglesias will require 8 million. 

- Dylan Bundy would require 25 million AAV.

- Andrew Heaney, probably 15 million. 

That alone right there is 60 million. The rest would need to be filled internally. Quintana replaced by Detmers, Claudio by Sandoval, etc...

The Angels won't have enough money to go on a spending spree, they'll simply have enough to remain competitive. The only way this team wins without increasing payroll over the CBT threshold is if their prospects pan out. Adell and Marsh are stud corner outfielders and Detmers and Rodriguez step into the rotation and are mid rotation starters or better. Also, it would help a lot of Ohtani's arm got healthy, and Canning and Barria developed. 

The success of this team isn't based on free agency. They just need to spend enough in free agency to prop the team up until less expensive homegrown players can take over. 

Outside of winning at the major league level, the most important thing Perry Minasian can do is continue to stock the farm, particularly with more upside pitching line Detmers and Rodriguez.

you forgot 13m in raises to Rendon and Upton.  And I think your arb number is actually a bit low.  But I agree that you've got to keep the farm going.  It's also made me notice that if Arte is going over for a year, it will be next year instead of this one or both.  

1 hour ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

No way bundy gets close to 25 aav.

at absolute most he’s looking at a 13-15m per 

Think about it. He'd be entering FA as an ace starting pitcher at 28 years of age with two consecutive top of the rotation seasons under his belt.

By contrast, Trevor Bauer will have entered free agency two years older, and with one absolutely awful season sandwiched by two very good ones, and he comes in with the ball doctoring rumors and the negative social media presence. 

Bauer is reportedly seeking 36 million. I doubt he'll get it, but he's probably going to get 30 million a season. 

If Dylan Bundy is as good in 2021 as he was in 2020, 25 million might be too light. You're looking at a market that has given guys like Richards, Smyly, Ray, Kluber and Quintana upwards of 10 million. A market that has rewarded Gerrit Cole, with two ace seasons under his belt 10 years and 360 million. Stephen Strasburg, with his extensive injury history, 35 million a year! 

I guarantee you, if Dylan Bundy repeats in 2021, you'd be lucky to get him at 25 million a year. 

I honestly think posters here need to come to grips with market trends. Mediocre starting pitchers that belong at the back end of a staff are worth 10 million per year in free agency. Top of the rotation starters are worth 30 million a year, across at least 6-7 years. 

Jake Odorizzi is probably going to get 15 million a year across three years, at age 31, coming off his worst statistical season, that included injury. 

Heaney at 15 million a year mighty be low-balling him. Bundy at 25 million a year would be considered settling for less. 

It's more important now than it ever has to develop starting pitching down on the farm. Even large market teams won't be able to remain financially sustainable if they need to pay for more than two or three free agent arms. 

Whereas guys like Marcell Ozuna, still can't find a paycheck worthy of their talents. From a strictly numbers standpoint, if San Diego offered Makenzie Gore for Jo Adell, I'd accept that deal in a heartbeat, even though pitchers get injured more often and only play once every five days. 

58 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

you forgot 13m in raises to Rendon and Upton.  And I think your arb number is actually a bit low.  But I agree that you've got to keep the farm going.  It's also made me notice that if Arte is going over for a year, it will be next year instead of this one or both.  

Good call. That money coming off the books had already been spent, and then some.