• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

The one positive about signing Odorizzi is that it will be for 2-3 years, giving us another arm locked up to go along with Canning, Ohtani, Detmers, Rodriguez, Barria and Sandoval in 2022.

If we get Odorizzi then someone has to be trade bait for something.
Bundy, Odorizzi, Heaney, Quintana, Canning, Cobb, Ohtani, Sandoval/Barria

Edited by angelsnationtalk

57 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

If we get Odorizzi then someone has to be trade bait for something.
Bundy, Odorizzi, Heaney, Quintana, Canning, Cobb, Ohtani, Sandoval/Barria

Not necessarily. Canning and Sandoval do have options, while Barria could be put in the bullpen. Also, there's no guarantee that the Angels make it through ST with all their starters healthy.

Another aspect is COVID. Someone could report to camp and be forced to wait and join the team until they are fully clear, like numerous Angels were last season. Off the top of my head, Walsh, Thaiss, Sandoval, Rengifo, and Teheran were among those whose start to camp was delayed because they weren't fully clear. If one of those starters had to wait an extra 2-3 weeks to be fully cleared, that could mess up their availability for opening day.

30 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Reportedly Minasian still looking at upgrading at catcher. Not crazy about it but I wonder if we might see a Hendricks/Contreras for Heaney/Stassi + prospects deal? Obviously would need a good bit added, probably more than any of us would like. I'm more speculating than wishing for it.

Nobody trading "win now" type players would want Heaney. He's a FA after this season. Canning teams would want.

4 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

Reportedly Minasian still looking at upgrading at catcher. Not crazy about it but I wonder if we might see a Hendricks/Contreras for Heaney/Stassi + prospects deal? Obviously would need a good bit added, probably more than any of us would like. I'm more speculating than wishing for it.

Cubs have one of the worst rotations now so this idea makes 100% sense. Although maybe just Contreras. 

Edited by angelsnationtalk

Just now, angelsnationtalk said:

Cubs have one of the worst rotations now so this idea makes 100% sense. 

I assume in addition to Heaney/Stassi they'd also ask for Adell, but maybe take Marsh instead, plus one of the three arms that is close to the majors (Detmers, CRod, or Koch).

Checking trade values, looks like my guesstimate is close by their valuation.

CDE66AAF-CE95-4794-B1B2-99C837B15C46.thumb.jpeg.7858af36cdc49dc5723eb206ddc215f4.jpeg

Detmers is the highest of the three young arms in value there, but would depend in this scenario who the Cubs valued most. They'd probably want Adell instead of Marsh and/or maybe Canning instead of Heaney, but that would be a definite overpay.

Anyway, this isn't so much a 'we should do this' as a hypothetical 'what might they do' if they're looking to upgrade both pitching and catcher, based on who we know they've had interest in. 

1 minute ago, Pancake Bear said:

I assume in addition to Heaney/Stassi they'd also ask for Adell, but maybe take Marsh instead, plus one of the three arms that is close to the majors (Detmers, CRod, or Koch).

Checking trade values, looks like my guesstimate is close by their valuation.

CDE66AAF-CE95-4794-B1B2-99C837B15C46.thumb.jpeg.7858af36cdc49dc5723eb206ddc215f4.jpeg

Detmers is the highest of the three young arms in value there, but would depend in this scenario who the Cubs valued most. They'd probably want Adell instead of Marsh and/or maybe Canning instead of Heaney, but that would be a definite overpay.

Anyway, this isn't so much a 'we should do this' as a hypothetical 'what might they do' if they're looking to upgrade both pitching and catcher, based on who we know they've had interest in. 

Yeah I could see it happening but more-so with just Contreras. If rumors are true that we're still looking for catching and that we've been linked to Contreras then I could see it working. The Cubs have already lost Darvish, Quintana, Chatwood and Lester and I don't think they'll lose Hendricks. He's on a team friendly deal only making $14M guaranteed for 3 more years. 

Cubs need pitching. Heaney could be a one year fill in for them.
Angels now solidify their catching position but DAMN does our rotation look like shit....

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 8.59.10 PM.png

9 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Yeah I could see it happening but more-so with just Contreras. If rumors are true that we're still looking for catching and that we've been linked to Contreras then I could see it working. The Cubs have already lost Darvish, Quintana, Chatwood and Lester and I don't think they'll lose Hendricks. He's on a team friendly deal only making $14M guaranteed for 3 more years. 

Angels now solidify their catching position but DAMN does our rotation look like shit....

We trade away one of our best pitchers and get none in return 

11 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

That looks good. Then sign Bauer FFS. But really, I'd be down with Odorizzi or Walker to replace Heaney, but on a 3-year deal. 

12 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Zero chance we trade a rotation arm with none coming back. 

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

That looks good. Then sign Bauer FFS. But really, I'd be down with Odorizzi or Walker to replace Heaney, but on a 3-year deal. 

For me I'd only trade Jordyn Adams for a true need which is a top of the rotation pitcher. Adams hasn't even scratched the surface of his full potential which I believe he will meet this season and we would instead be selling low for a catcher when Stassi is just fine.

Just now, rafibomb said:

For me I'd only trade Jordyn Adams for a true need which is a top of the rotation pitcher. Adams hasn't even scratched the surface of his full potential which I believe he will meet this season and we would instead be selling low for a catcher when Stassi is just fine.

Exactly this 

After a few days of waiting for their complicated trade to be finalized, the Cardinals and Rockies have completed their deal centering on third baseman Nolan Arenado, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports. The league and the union have signed off on the swap. The Rockies will receive left-hander Austin Gomber, third baseman Mateo Gil, infielder Elehuris Montero and right-handers Tony Locey and Jake Sommers in exchange for Arenado, per Mark Feinsand of MLB.com. Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch previously reported Gomber’s spot in the deal, while Ken Rosenthal and Nick Groke of The Athletic tweeted that Gil would be in it.

St. Louis is now getting one of the game’s premier infielders, and the team will reportedly add another year and $15MM to Arenado’s contract. As such, he’ll be signed through 2027 at $214MM. The Rockies will absorb $51MM, including some in deferrals, according to Feinsand. The Rockies will pay all of Arenado’s $35MM salary in 2021, Jon Morosi of MLB.com relays.

Along with the added value to his deal, Arenado will be able to opt out of his pact after either of the next two seasons (the Cardinals added the second opt-out as part of the trade; most of the money the Rox owe will be after the opt-outs, Feinsand adds).

Barria is a stater if anything and will not be out of the pen for any great length of time unless its short rest after he lasts 2 1/3rd innings in a start a couple days prior!

It takes a certain demeanor to work out of the pen and at least 2 ++ pitches 1 being a fastball. He is a serviceable 4/5th guy and not much more that changes speeds. He also has a problem getting ahead and staying ahead in the count early based on his avg assortment of pitches and ability. Analytists be damned.

12 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

The Cubs are really thin in rotation depth in the minors and majors...Heaney doesn’t do much for them in his walk year. 

Barria makes a ton of sense as a cheap, controlled, MLB ready #4 or #5 for them. Suarez is getting squeezed here and could make sense there as well. Same for Sandoval or Canning if names like Contreras, Hendricks, or Happ were involved.

Just now, southpaw said:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sean Doolittle in agreement on a one-year <a href="https://twitter.com/MLB?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MLB</a> deal with the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Reds?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Reds</a>, source confirms <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Ken_Rosenthal</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/ctrent?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@ctrent</a> report. <a href="https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MLBNetwork</a></p>&mdash; Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1356644819938992131?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 2, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well said