• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

A few things to address/clear when i said that Perry will have money to spend next year.  

First of all, I considered everything, including rises and Arb and at the moment, i estimate our payroll for next year to be in the range of 120 mil-145 mil. 

In average this gives us about 50-60 mil to spend. 

Now the spending, when i first considered this topic, my plan/idea was that everything went well for us. 

1. Detmer's would replace Quintana's spot

2. Rodriguez will replace one of Bundy/Heaney/3rd starter

That takes 2 our of the 4 spots, which gives us: Canning, Detemer's, Rodriguez, and Barria as a four and if Othani can pitch a full healthy season that gives us 5 Starters. 

Leaving us with a need for a 6th starter. 

Where we could resign Bundy/Heaney. 

Personally, I don't see Bundy being worth anything over 20 mil. He not a power pitcher, i think he'll get an over around 15 mil.

Heaney around 10-12 mil

or we could go the free agency route and spend 20-25 mil on a veteran Ace's

Now the other two positions, SS and Closer.

Preferably i would like Perry to go after Rosenthal this year as for afforadable price and also a backup. 2yrs 12- 14 mil with an option for 3rd year. 

SS we'll see when it get there. 

So basically for this to work, we'll need Detmers and Rodriguez to be called up this season.

Yeah that's about all 

If Corey Kluber coming off years of injured and ineffectiveness can't get 10 million, I figure a steady arm like Heaney will get 15.

Just now, Second Base said:

If Corey Kluber coming off years of injured and ineffectiveness can't get 10 million, I figure a steady arm like Heaney will get 15.

Kluber has won multiple Cy Young’s.  He’s getting $10 million based on the hope he regains some of his past success. Heaney, unless he throws up a career best season is not getting $15 million. It just isn’t happening. Bundy can have the exact same numbers this year he had in 2020 and he isn’t getting $25 million.  This is crazy talk. Now if Bundy puts up a Cy Young type season where he just absolutely dominates at an even greater level than last year, he might get $20 plus million.  

Planning on Detmers and Rodriguez being replacements next year is optimistic. If Detmers gets some time this year and looks good, he's got a shot at securing himself a 2021 rotation slot. Rodriguez? That just feels unrealistic, but someone else who knows more about Rodriguez can take that one. From where I sit, I could see him maybe pitching in the rotation next year, but I don't think we can assume he'll for sure have a spot held for him out of camp. 

52 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Planning on Detmers and Rodriguez being replacements next year is optimistic. If Detmers gets some time this year and looks good, he's got a shot at securing himself a 2021 rotation slot. Rodriguez? That just feels unrealistic, but someone else who knows more about Rodriguez can take that one. From where I sit, I could see him maybe pitching in the rotation next year, but I don't think we can assume he'll for sure have a spot held for him out of camp. 

They're both starting in AA. It isn't that unrealistic at all.

41 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

To say let's plan on them being in the rotation next season? Um, okay. But if they're not ready we're gonna have a really messed up rotation. 

Is that what's being debated? If it is, you may be right. But I wouldn't scoff at the concept that Chris Rodriguez could be in the rotation later in 2021. He has great upside, has been healthy for over a year now and is starting in AA. If things go well, maybe you'll see him in AAA by July and the major leagues by August. Same with Detmers. 

I wouldn't bet on it, but it's definitely more than a remote possibility. 

What's exciting to think about, is if the Angels are actually in a playoff race in July/August and actually have the option to improve their rotation internally. Few teams get that kind of a boost down the stretch without sacrificing prospects.  

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

Is that what's being debated? If it is, you may be right. But I wouldn't scoff at the concept that Chris Rodriguez could be in the rotation later in 2021. He has great upside, has been healthy for over a year now and is starting in AA. If things go well, maybe you'll see him in AAA by July and the major leagues by August. Same with Detmers. 

If that's what Edit: Vlad27Trout27 was saying, I don't have a problem with it. But that isn't how I read it. 

"Now the spending, when i first considered this topic, my plan/idea was that everything went well for us. 

1. Detmer's would replace Quintana's spot

2. Rodriguez will replace one of Bundy/Heaney/3rd starter"

Rereading it, that may be what he was saying. 

Im coming around to the possibility that if we're going to have a championship rotation, we may have to largely develop it. Detmers and Rodriguez could be close enough and have the upside to bring that about. My concern was what I initially read as the presumption that they will both definitely fill rotation spots in 2021 leaving funds free for other spending. 

3 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

If that's what angelsnationtalk was saying, I don't have a problem with it. But that isn't how I read it. 

"Now the spending, when i first considered this topic, my plan/idea was that everything went well for us. 

Im coming around to the possibility that if we're going to have a championship rotation, we may have to largely develop it. Detmers and Rodriguez could be close enough and have the upside to bring that about. My concern was what I initially read as the presumption that they will both definitely fill rotation spots in 2021 leaving funds free for other spending. 

Don't think I said anything here

8 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

If that's what Edit: Vlad27Trout27 was saying, I don't have a problem with it. But that isn't how I read it. 

I don't think they have the payroll capacity to acquire a championship level staff, and generally speaking, most good pitchers aren't on the trade block. This winter was an anomaly. So developing it is probably our only avenue, in which case resources in drafting and international budget need to be allocated for that. As fun as it is, drafting these amazing athletes in the OF won't bring a championship the way an ace starting pitcher will. At least not as the roster is currently constructed.

10 minutes ago, mmc said:

The one positive about signing Odorizzi is that it will be for 2-3 years, giving us another arm locked up to go along with Canning, Ohtani, Detmers, Rodriguez, Barria and Sandoval in 2022.