• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

If the Angels current rotation wasn't full of question marks Kluber would make more sense but he'll be turning 35 in a few months and has pitched 36 innings total over the last two years. The Yankees have Cole and even with Tanaka/Paxton/Happ still TBD having a legit ace at the top of the rotation makes it easier to take a chance on a guy like Kluber.  Reports were Kluber would get a 1 year prove it deal so something close to what Harvey and Teheran got makes sense.   

1 hour ago, floplag said:

Matt Harvey didnt have a showcase to show his health that I recall

To be fair..... He didn't need to because he finished the previous season on the mound and not the DL.  He finished 2018 throwing 155 innings and showing his best velocity in years the final two months of the season.   On the season he averaged 94.6 MPH on his four-seamer.   

I went on record PRIOR to his signing that I wanted no part of him, that he was the one guy I didn't want but he looked like a paragon of health compared to Kluber.

32 minutes ago, floplag said:

My point is that if we cant afford the other 11 we probably shouldnt be paying the 30
Well see i guess he will either be a steal, or a waste of 11 M.

Angels are definitely taking a risk if they put all their eggs in one basket but it may be the risk they are more comfortable with.   Who knows?  This new front office has us all guessing.

I think the Yanks will come out of this ok.

I wonder if an arbitration hearing will impact Ohtani at all.

Generally you don't want to have to criticize your own player. Now, Ohtani deserves some criticism because his offense was awful last season but I do wonder how he'll take it. He doesn't seem like the type of player who'd use it as motivation. It seems like he may instead take it personally. 

2 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Generally you don't want to have to criticize your own player. Now, Ohtani deserves some criticism because his offense was awful last season but I do wonder how he'll take it. He doesn't seem like the type of player who'd use it as motivation. It seems like he may instead take it personally. 

Id assume they would steer closer to the durability rather than the skills. 

3 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Not sure if it can be taken into account but if so, perhaps his agent is arguing the advertising/merchandising revenue he brings from Asia.

1 hour ago, Junkballer said:

Not sure if it can be taken into account but if so, perhaps his agent is arguing the advertising/merchandising revenue he brings from Asia.

maybe.  that's a good point.  But from what I've heard of arb hearings, then Ohtani is going to lose.  

I can't help but feel like if Eppler were GM, Ohtani wouldn't be dragged into an arbitration hearing. I mean overall, part of me wonders if Ohtani regrets coming to America and signing with the Angels. 

He gets hurt, and when he isn't hurt, his performance at the plate has lacked consistency and on the mound, it's been a trainwreck. He's played for a collection of underperforming teams that were presented to him as contenders. He's played for three different managers and has had three different pitching coaches. Some of the players he's actually developed a bond with are now gone, like Valbueba and Skaggs, may they rest in peace, Kinsler, and Calhoun. And the GM, the person he felt like he has such a connection with that he chose the Angels, is fired. 

I feel like the Angels, if they want this relationship to continue, need to do a few things. 

1. Don't make him go through arbitration. So squabbling over pennies comparatively.

2. Stick with the same coaching staff moving forward so the guy can actually get his bearings. 

3. Start winning immediately, and keep winning. 

4. Do everything they can to keep him healthy and productive, which isn't on them as much as it's on Shohei. 

Edited by Second Base

41 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I can't help but feel like if Eppler were GM, Ohtani wouldn't be dragged into an arbitration hearing. I mean overall, part of me wonders if Ohtani regrets coming to America and signing with the Angels. 

He gets hurt, and when he isn't hurt, his performance at the plate has lacked consistency and on the mound, it's been a trainwreck. He's played for a collection of underperforming teams that were presented to him as contenders. He's played for three different managers and has had three different pitching coaches. Some of the players he's actually developed a bond with are now gone, like Valbueba and Skaggs, may they rest in peace, Kinsler, and Calhoun. And the GM, the person he felt like he has such a connection with that he chose the Angels, is fired. 

I feel like the Angels, if they want this relationship to continue, need to do a few things. 

1. Don't make him go through arbitration. So squabbling over pennies comparatively.

2. Stick with the same coaching staff moving forward so the guy can actually get his bearings. 

4. Do everything they can to keep him healthy and productive, which isn't on them as much as it's on Shohei. 

I Dont Care Reaction GIF

43 minutes ago, Second Base said:

7D0D5562-F9E2-470C-BD80-6F1FCC6D229F.gif