• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

I can't help but feel like if Eppler were GM, Ohtani wouldn't be dragged into an arbitration hearing. I mean overall, part of me wonders if Ohtani regrets coming to America and signing with the Angels. 

He gets hurt, and when he isn't hurt, his performance at the plate has lacked consistency and on the mound, it's been a trainwreck. He's played for a collection of underperforming teams that were presented to him as contenders. He's played for three different managers and has had three different pitching coaches. Some of the players he's actually developed a bond with are now gone, like Valbueba and Skaggs, may they rest in peace, Kinsler, and Calhoun. And the GM, the person he felt like he has such a connection with that he chose the Angels, is fired. 

I feel like the Angels, if they want this relationship to continue, need to do a few things. 

1. Don't make him go through arbitration. So squabbling over pennies comparatively.

2. Stick with the same coaching staff moving forward so the guy can actually get his bearings. 

3. Start winning immediately, and keep winning. 

4. Do everything they can to keep him healthy and productive, which isn't on them as much as it's on Shohei. 

Lol. Just lol.

For all of the hand-wringing about pitching, there's still time.  The Reds still likely need to unload Grey, and the Pirates will look to move Musgrove.  Bauer is still out there.  There are still. numerous others available, too.

The Yankees are likely finished spending, as they have said they want to stay below the LT and are currently about 5mil below it.  The Dodgers certainly aren't going to make a move for a SP.  The Mets' rotation is basically full, and I imagine they're earmarking the rest of their money for someone like Springer + some bullpen help.

The Blue Jays are still out there as a team who will probably spend, but outside of them, what other contenders are left that are looking to spend, anyway?  Patience in this market was always going to be rewarded, and it appears Minasian is being very patient.  We'll ultimately get the pitching we need, and likely at a better discount than anticipated.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

For all of the hand-wringing about pitching, there's still time.  The Reds still likely need to unload Grey, and the Pirates will look to move Musgrove.  Bauer is still out there.  There are still. numerous others available, too......

Odorizzi, Quintana among others.....

13 hours ago, totdprods said:

Remember too, word was Kluber had some geographical preference to the Northeast, so it probably doesn’t matter much if we could have or should have offered that. He wanted to go to that area and plenty of teams there were interested.

And the Yankees also have the guy who Kluber has worked on his conditioning with, and a pitching coach who also worked with him when he was coming up in Cleveland’s org.

That and it’s hard to guarantee $11 million to someone coming off a 2020 season that included shoulder issues and is age mid 30s.

12 hours ago, Second Base said:

I can't help but feel like if Eppler were GM, Ohtani wouldn't be dragged into an arbitration hearing. I mean overall, part of me wonders if Ohtani regrets coming to America and signing with the Angels. 

He gets hurt, and when he isn't hurt, his performance at the plate has lacked consistency and on the mound, it's been a trainwreck. He's played for a collection of underperforming teams that were presented to him as contenders. He's played for three different managers and has had three different pitching coaches. Some of the players he's actually developed a bond with are now gone, like Valbueba and Skaggs, may they rest in peace, Kinsler, and Calhoun. And the GM, the person he felt like he has such a connection with that he chose the Angels, is fired. 

I feel like the Angels, if they want this relationship to continue, need to do a few things. 

1. Don't make him go through arbitration. So squabbling over pennies comparatively.

2. Stick with the same coaching staff moving forward so the guy can actually get his bearings. 

3. Start winning immediately, and keep winning. 

4. Do everything they can to keep him healthy and productive, which isn't on them as much as it's on Shohei. 

This may be the dumbest thing I've ever read on this site.  Truly unbelievable.

Matt (Oceanside)
1:43
After the arbitration figures were exchanged, the Dodgers are really close to the lux tax. In light of them still needing at the least to resign Turner, they don't care about taking a one year tax hit? Agree?

Mark P
1:44
I don't think any team should be concerned about a one-year tax hit, especially not a Dodgers team that prints money and has a bunch of contracts coming off the books after 2021

1 year tax hit
2:01
Are you kidding? Most owners are absolutely terrified of a 1-year tax hit.

Mark P
2:02
If you're spending $210MM on payroll, you shouldn't be worried about spending another $5MM (if that) in luxury tax fees for going over the threshold.

I like how no one actually participates in a conversation and just bashes @Second Base. Y'all are dumbasses.

It's pretty obvious to anyone paying attention that ohtanis time here since coming over has been one mess after another. Speculating on it all is part of baseball discussion. Get over yourselves.

11 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

I like how no one actually participates in a conversation and just bashes @Second Base. Y'all are dumbasses.

It's pretty obvious to anyone paying attention that ohtanis time here since coming over has been one mess after another. Speculating on it all is part of baseball discussion. Get over yourselves.

Lol. Just lol.

5 hours ago, Warfarin said:

For all of the hand-wringing about pitching, there's still time.  The Reds still likely need to unload Grey, and the Pirates will look to move Musgrove.  Bauer is still out there.  There are still. numerous others available, too.

The Yankees are likely finished spending, as they have said they want to stay below the LT and are currently about 5mil below it.  The Dodgers certainly aren't going to make a move for a SP.  The Mets' rotation is basically full, and I imagine they're earmarking the rest of their money for someone like Springer + some bullpen help.

The Blue Jays are still out there as a team who will probably spend, but outside of them, what other contenders are left that are looking to spend, anyway?  Patience in this market was always going to be rewarded, and it appears Minasian is being very patient.  We'll ultimately get the pitching we need, and likely at a better discount than anticipated.

I'm not sure that the Reds "need to unload Gray." It sounds like they are open to dealing him in the right deal and are listening to offers, but it doesn't sound like they NEED to trade him.

I also think there are more teams out there that still need and will still spend/acquire pitching. The Twins come to mind as one team. I'm not quite sure that they are going to get a discount.

I wrote this in the Ohtani topic and I think it applies here-

People are freaking out about the 800k difference and whether that Shohei is worth the 3.3 million or 2.5. But many seem confused about how the arbitration system works....

Understand- it is the only the midpoint of the arbitration figures that matter. In the arbitration process, all Ohtani’s reps need to argue is is Shohei worth over 2.9 (the midpoint). That can be over a dollar over. If the arbitrator rules that Ohtani is worth over $1 over the 2.9, then he is awarded 3.3. If the arbitrators rule that he is under that under that amount, he gets only the 2.5.  The number Ohtani’s side is intentionally too high.  

In addition a benefit to the arbitration process too is also to allow more time for extending a multi year contract if the team is willing to do that.  

Trust the process. I know the slow offseason has everyone panicking that we haven't received any starting pitching and this is another thing to bash Angels management about, but just calm down.   

2 hours ago, southpaw said:

I wrote this in the Ohtani topic and I think it applies here-

People are freaking out about the 800k difference and whether that Shohei is worth the 3.3 million or 2.5. But many seem confused about how the arbitration system works....

Understand- it is the only the midpoint of the arbitration figures that matter. In the arbitration process, all Ohtani’s reps need to argue is is Shohei worth over 2.9 (the midpoint). That can be over a dollar over. If the arbitrator rules that Ohtani is worth over $1 over the 2.9, then he is awarded 3.3. If the arbitrators rule that he is under that under that amount, he gets only the 2.5.  The number Ohtani’s side is intentionally too high.  

In addition a benefit to the arbitration process too is also to allow more time for extending a multi year contract if the team is willing to do that.  

Trust the process. I know the slow offseason has everyone panicking that we haven't received any starting pitching and this is another thing to bash Angels management about, but just calm down.   

Calm Down Chill Out GIF by Justin

i'm just chillin'.

i don't get worked up over baseball. if the angels are shit, then what's changed? if they get it together and are good again, then that would be more fun. but i'll be honest, i do enjoy watching people lose their shit on message boards, when the topics are meaningless.

my opinion is that the angels are going to do alright with their pitching acquisitions when it's all said and done. i'm liking perry so far. so, i'm optimistic. if it turns out to be misplaced, then i'll watch this place burn down, and skip the games.