• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pederson/Stripling deal is DEAD. MOVE ON.

failos

29 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Stripling's got that spin rate yo! 

He's also got some low miles on his arm, so I can see the Angels getting 160-200 innings out of the guy this year. That arm is fresh.

Agreed, except that he probably needs to be stretched to that total innings by 2021.    Maybe 130-140 this season, and then 160-180 in 2021?

4 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Ohtani, Stripling, Teheran, Bundy, Heaney, Sandoval, Andreise.

That's a lot of solid pitching. Not high upside pitching (other than Ohtani) but it's a staff that should be able to keep us in games and it's enough depth to withstand some injuries or rest periods for the young guys.

To me suggests Ohtani is definitely not pitching to start the season? 

bobs_twittericon_bigger.jpg

The #Angels and #Dodgers still working to finalize their deal that now is expected to include Dodgers pitcher Ross Stripling. The Dodgers would send OF Joe Pederson and Stripling to the #Angels for middle infielder Luis Rengifo and two prospects. Still, a lot of moving parts.

Eppler got screwed. Never even heard of this Joe Pederson

1 minute ago, Erstad Grit said:

Better not be Sandoval 

Its going to be someone with a bit of value if they are giving up a major league pitcher with control. The Pederson contract isn't that outrageous as well in terms of money for someone with that kind of OBP/HR power on a 1 year contract.

10 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I can see Yan, but they actually need to fill a major league SP spot. Losing Ryu, Maeda and Stripling is a big blow and only getting back Price. I almost think someone like Barria is going or a Sandoval along with someone like Yan.

Dodgers have Kershaw, Price, Buehler, Gonsolin, May, Urias, Santana, Caleb, White.  They’re fine. 

2 minutes ago, RBM said:

I don't think the Dodgers need a starting pitcher in this trade with the Angels.

They already have:

1. Buehler 2. Kershaw 3. Price 4. Wood 5. Gonsolin 6. May 7. Urias

This is why Stripling is expendable.

That's true, I forgot about wood. Gonsolin/May/Urias are ? to me. Price has an injury history as well. I don't think you can guarantee any of them will pitch a full season.

3 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

The rotation is serviceable! 

Maybe they can still swing a trade for Boyd. Fuck it, let's throw everything we can at the rest of the league.

If they go with a 6 man rotation they may just pull off a workable group that eats innings that keeps us in games. The offense looks pretty damn good. 

1 hour ago, mulwin444 said:

It will be real interesting to see if Pederson is spun off for additional pitching or not.  Let's operate under the assumption that Stripling is coming back as part of the deal, that leaves a potential rotation of:

I think the Angels are in great shape if they hold onto Pederson, rely on a very deep offense, and gamble on the deep stable of SP in-house to produce. If folks simply stay healthy in the rotation for once, they’ll be a very good group. Plenty of options to cycle through and see who sticks. It all comes back to health.

Eppler will have a ton of flexibility as the season goes on to upgrade - either by promoting Adell, and perhaps Thaiss or Marsh to help the offense, or by trading big prospects to bring in needed frontline pitching, or even selling off vets for more prospects should they feel that’s the best (and unlikeliest) route. 

3 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Its going to be someone with a bit of value if they are giving up a major league pitcher with control. The Pederson contract isn't that outrageous as well in terms of money for someone with that kind of OBP/HR power on a 1 year contract.

In a vacuum his contract wasn't but if that's the amount which would have sent the Dodgers over the penalty I would understand why Dodgers HAD to dump him immediately out of fear Padres would get Betts. It's very possible Eppler took advantage here. 

17 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Ohtani, Stripling, Teheran, Bundy, Heaney, Sandoval, Andreise.

That's a lot of solid pitching. Not high upside pitching (other than Ohtani) but it's a staff that should be able to keep us in games and it's enough depth to withstand some injuries or rest periods for the young guys.

Replace Andreise with Canning and you're onto something

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think the Angels are in great shape if they hold onto Pederson, rely on a very deep offense, and gamble on the deep stable of SP in-house to produce. If folks simply stay healthy in the rotation for once, they’ll be a very good group. Plenty of options to cycle through and see who sticks. It all comes back to health.

Eppler will have a ton of flexibility as the season goes on to upgrade - either by promoting Adell, and perhaps Thaiss or Marsh to help the offense, or by trading big prospects to bring in needed frontline pitching, or even selling off vets for more prospects should they feel that’s the best (and unlikeliest) route. 

I think one the best side effects of this deal, besides adding two quality players like Pederson and Stripling, is that it eliminates the perception of desperation of Eppler's need to acquire SP.  Now, he can rightly point to a deep (in terms of number of pitchers) and talented rotation as "we're set" while continuing to let the market play out for upgrades.