• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pederson/Stripling deal is DEAD. MOVE ON.

failos

12 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Obviously we are waiting on names still, but...

Getting Rendon, Bundy, Teheran, Pederson, Andriese, and Castro with Luis Rengifo being the only actual prospect/player lost (so far) is a pretty successful offseason. 

I mean, the comp pick, Bradish, Mattson, and Beasley are still something, but, nothing really too painful to lose. Typical guys that get lost every offseason more or less. 

They have plenty of ammo to deal from at the deadline if they’re buyers. They now have a *ton* of guys to shop if they wind up sellers. They have some guys under control, and some money freed up at the end of the season. Pretty nicely balanced and well-done by Eppler, if you ask me.

With the caveat that I want to see if and how this trade gets finalized, I couldn’t agree more. This team has improved immensely since last year. The lineup is deep, the rotation is much improved, and the farm has been mostly untouched. If Stripling is the guy coming back and we aren’t parting with Adell or Marsh, this has been an incredible offseason for Eppler.

2 minutes ago, wopphil said:

With the caveat that I want to see if and how this trade gets finalized, I couldn’t agree more. This team has improved immensely since last year. The lineup is deep, the rotation is much improved, and the farm has been mostly untouched. If Stripling is the guy coming back and we aren’t parting with Adell or Marsh, this has been an incredible offseason for Eppler.

Yup. Obviously Cole’s upside was enticing, as was many other SPs, but this is a really nicely balanced group of acquisitions.

3 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Sorry if already discussed (don't have time to go all the way through this thread), but Passan, who is usually pretty accurate, says "a big league starter" is coming from the Dogs.....I would think they would want to move some salary to accomodate Betts and Price (probably a big part of moving Pederson)?  I'd love to get Stripling but not sure how much he would be making?  Not anybody else (big salary) that they'd move after Maeda goes to the Twins?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/02/angels-to-acquire-joc-pederson.html

One of the rumors I am seeing right now is that they want the Betts/Price deal finalized before doing the Angels deal.  I.E., they need physicals done on both.  Which makes sense, because if that deal falls through, then the Dogs will not want to make the Doc deal.   While Stripling is in a majority of the rumors.  There is some soft whispers that it might be Price that gets flipped to the Angels as a salary dump.  Which also might make sense, since the Dogs can't trade Price until he is officially on the team.  And depending on how much the Sux are eating of Price's 3 years @ $32 million.  It might not be a bad deal.  Looking at the Dogs pitchers.  Bueller, Kershaw, Stripling, and Gonsolin had better years last year than Price did 2 years ago.  (assuming last year was a fluke)  

21 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Sorry if already discussed (don't have time to go all the way through this thread), but Passan, who is usually pretty accurate, says "a big league starter" is coming from the Dogs.....I would think they would want to move some salary to accomodate Betts and Price (probably a big part of moving Pederson)?  I'd love to get Stripling but not sure how much he would be making?  Not anybody else (big salary) that they'd move after Maeda goes to the Twins?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/02/angels-to-acquire-joc-pederson.html

Stripling is cheap.  $2.1 million for 2020.  And still 2 years of service time remaining.  Again, another reason why it doesn't make sense, if it's a salary dump.  

5 hours ago, Lou said:

Why would the dodgers trade for Rengifo? 

because he's got decently high upside for a MIF, plays good defense and is essentially free by baseball standards.  

Hernandez and Turner are FA's after 2020, and Seager and Taylor after 2021.  He could slot in at 2b if they move one of Seager or Lux to 3b.  

It also wouldn't surprise me if they gave him a little time in the OF like they do with Taylor and Hernandez.  

4 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

If we get Price I'm going to be fucking pissed.

I am only going to be unhappy if:

1). they end up with Price at an overpaid salary.

2). Price is viewed by the Angels as their big postseason horse, meaning getting Price prevents the Angels from pursuing a true beast starter.

The reality is If they end up with Price at a bargain salary then he helps the team.  I would just hope he isn’t viewed as “the guy” the Angels need at the top of the rotation.

I mean imagine if the Angels pulled off a deal at the deadline to get a real ace, Ohtani is healthy and David Price is your #3 starter.

I am perfectly fine with that.

Remember when Eppler cleared Cozart's salary in oder to pick up Cole but when that fell through everyone wanted to crucify him for also letting a prospect go in the deal? Pederson's salary comes out to about the same dollars so Eppler really has used that money to improve the Angels. It just took some time to craft the right deal. 

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It will be real interesting to see if Pederson is spun off for additional pitching or not.  Let's operate under the assumption that Stripling is coming back as part of the deal, that leaves a potential rotation of:

1. Stripling

2. Heaney

3. Teheran

4. Bundy

5. Ohtani/Canning

with Andriese, Pena, Sandoval, Barria, Suarez and Peters as either long relief or swing starter.  Is that enough?  Probably not but it's a hell of a lot better than last season and I think you can see the rotation is also being built with the bullpen in mind as well since there are guys who can pitch multiple innings a few times a week.

I combine Canning and Ohtani together since I can see Eppler/Angels really taking it easy with those two and likely having a gaps in their starts.  With Ohtani considered the 26th man on the roster, that leaves Stripling, Heaney, Teheran, Bundy, Canning, Andriese, and Pena (when healthy, with Peters likely filling in) as starters and long relief and Robles, Buttrey, Bedrosian, Anderson, Ramirez and Middleton giving them 14 pitchers (including Ohtani).  

Now, with Joc added to the equation, the lineup looks like:

1.  Fletcher 2B

2. Trout CF

3.  Ohtani DH

4. Rendon 3B

5. Pederson RF

6. Upton LF

7. Simmons SS

8. Pujols/LaStella 1B

9.  Castro C

Bench: Stassi and Goodwin    

Damn, that's a pretty stout roster.

Angels are definitely still going to explore ways to upgrade the rotation as they need a 1/2 type if they can be had but they are less desperate now and can be patient in exploring their options.

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

the Angels aren't taking on Pederson and Price.  If Boston at half of Price's salary, that would still be an additional 25m in payroll to the halos and put them over the lux tax.  

plus, why would the dogs need to get rid of Pederson if they weren't taking on Price's salary?  

Andrew Friedman knows Price and knows Fenway is a lousy pitchers park along with most of the AL East. He traded for Betts for one year of production but Price for three. I think he believes the change of venue and a pitchers park is going to benifit Price's final years.

23 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

One of the rumors I am seeing right now is that they want the Betts/Price deal finalized before doing the Angels deal.  I.E., they need physicals done on both.  Which makes sense, because if that deal falls through, then the Dogs will not want to make the Doc deal.   While Stripling is in a majority of the rumors.  There is some soft whispers that it might be Price that gets flipped to the Angels as a salary dump.  Which also might make sense, since the Dogs can't trade Price until he is officially on the team.  And depending on how much the Sux are eating of Price's 3 years @ $32 million.  It might not be a bad deal.  Looking at the Dogs pitchers.  Bueller, Kershaw, Stripling, and Gonsolin had better years last year than Price did 2 years ago.  (assuming last year was a fluke)  

I think the first part is correct.  No team has announced a deal as of yet.  If moving Pederson wasn't tied to acquiring Betts and Price, then the Dogs and Halos would have announced it already.  

I just don't see the Halos taking on both Pederson and Price.  Their payroll would actually be higher than the dogs.  

14 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I think the first part is correct.  No team has announced a deal as of yet.  If moving Pederson wasn't tied to acquiring Betts and Price, then the Dogs and Halos would have announced it already.  

I just don't see the Halos taking on both Pederson and Price.  Their payroll would actually be higher than the dogs.  

Agreed....but if we're getting a "major league starter" as Passan says, there is somebody going to the Dogs in addition to Rengifo....and it will probably be a good player that will cause some heartburn here....

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Unless the Dogs eat a small portion of salary as well.  

It just seems odd that they would put Pederson's name out there, the minor leaguers name out there (who is intriguing by the way.  18 years old, and over a 1.000 OPS in rookie ball), but not the pitcher.  

2 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Agreed....but if we're getting a "major league starter" as Passan says, there is somebody going to the Dogs other than Rengifo....and it will probably be a good player that will cause some heartburn here....

maybe.  but we also got a very good prospect in return as well.  One who probably ends up in our top 10.  The more I think about it, the less it makes sense that we would be sending an OF prospect in return.  Why exchange OF prospects in the low minors unless we are giving up a far lesser or far greater prospect than we've been talking about.  I really don't think it's the latter.  I hope it's not one of our few legit pitching prospects but I fear it is.