• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pederson/Stripling deal is DEAD. MOVE ON.

failos

2 hours ago, Lou said:

Why would the dodgers trade for Rengifo? 

Dodgers seem to covet middle infielders with good plate discipline.  Rengifo also originally came from the Rays' organization, so I'm guessing Friedman has some inside intel on him and wants to take a chance.  He's likely what he is - a good utility IF, but not much more.  Still, maybe Friedman is hoping he can get some more out of him, who knows.

Will wait to see the trade unfold, but earlier in the offseason, I was hoping we'd look into acquiring Stripling.  2 years of control left, low cost, and was a 2018 All-Star.  Maybe he'll never rediscover his first half 2018 form, but he's, at worst, a really solid #4 starter, probably a pretty decent #3.  

Right now, this is the lineup I'd roll with:

vs RHP:  LaStella 1B, Trout CF, Ohtani DH, Rendon 3B, Pederson RF, Upton LF, Castro C, Simmons SS, Fletcher 2B

vs LHP:  Fletcher 2B, Trout CF, Rendon 3B, Ohtani DH, Upton LF, Pujols 1B, Simmons SS, Pederson (or Goodwin) RF, Castro C

Rotation:  Ohtani, Heaney, Stripling, Bundy, Teheran, Canning

Really solid.  We did not get an ace, but we certainly significantly improved our rotation on the whole.  Fangraphs has us projected as a playoff team now, with the moves we have made, and that's not even including our "mystery" pitcher acquisition.

12 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Dodgers seem to covet middle infielders with good plate discipline.  Rengifo also originally came from the Rays' organization, so I'm guessing Friedman has some inside intel on him and wants to take a chance.  He's likely what he is - a good utility IF, but not much more.  Still, maybe Friedman is hoping he can get some more out of him, who knows.

I just don't see how they have a roster spot for him.  I can see him starting in AAA

1 minute ago, Lou said:

I just don't see how they have a roster spot for him.  I can see him starting in AAA

Oh yeah, I agree.  I think he's depth for them for now.  Likely, I'm guessing the Dodgers will probably try to implement their swing change philosophy on him while in AAA in an attempt to have him generate some more pop.  May not work, but it did work for guys like Taylor and Muncy, so maybe they're hoping to make Rengifo into a 10-15 HR type player (doubtful, but who knows).

Stripling is a very good pitcher. Not sure why the Dodgers would move him. But if he is coming to Anaheim, and with Pages seemingly being a very good prospect, there is no way anything less than Adams or Marsh is going back to the Dodgers. 

47 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Friedman left the Rays in 2014 when Rengifo was like 16 years old. Rengifo was with the Mariners org and was traded to the Rays in 2017.

He's just another guy that they can move around while they give the starters rest days.

13 minutes ago, zenmaster said:

Friedman left the Rays in 2014 when Rengifo was like 16 years old. Rengifo was with the Mariners org and was traded to the Rays in 2017.

He's just another guy that they can move around while they give the starters rest days.

Well, while Friedman left in 2014, I’m sure he still has colleagues there who he knows and can give him insight into Rengifo’s potential.

20 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Stripling is a very good pitcher. Not sure why the Dodgers would move him. But if he is coming to Anaheim, and with Pages seemingly being a very good prospect, there is no way anything less than Adams or Marsh is going back to the Dodgers. 

^^^  Forget Stripling, with Pages as part of the deal, there is somebody pretty good going back to the Dodgers....Rengifo is ok but there will be another good player(s) from us in the deal.....

11 hours ago, DMVol said:

If Rengifo had enough value to get Peterson could he not have been packaged for a decent pitcher? 

11 hours ago, Stradling said:

Do you honestly think that Eppler didn’t try that?  

Sometimes I think Stradling is actually Eppler.

1 minute ago, DMVol said:

^^^  Forget Stripling, with Pages as part of the deal, there is somebody pretty good going back to the Dodgers....Rengifo is ok but there will be another good player(s) from us in the deal.....

Thinking on this...

I wonder if Pages replaces Marsh? Which still doesnt explaine Pederson... unless he will no be offered to someone else for pitching?

12 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Thinking on this...

I wonder if Pages replaces Marsh? Which still doesnt explaine Pederson... unless he will no be offered to someone else for pitching?

Dunno....sure seems like there is more out there....but maybe not?....maybe Eppler just really likes Pederson?....I think Pederson is a good player and while I liked Rengifo's upside, trading him doesn't bother me much....I know they aren't identical players but I guess the head scratcher for me is, if you really like Pederson, why not just resign Calhoun?  They are pretty similar....Maybe after we declined his option Calhoun would not have resigned for a lesser amount but that is what he ultimately got from the DBacks....I might have kept Rengifo for depth and/or a trade at some point for a pitcher....It will be interesting to see what happens.......

8 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Dunno....sure seems like there is more out there....but maybe not?....maybe Eppler just really likes Pederson?....I think Pederson is a good player and while I liked Rengifo's upside, trading him doesn't bother me much....I know they aren't identical players but I guess the head scratcher for me is, if you really like Pederson, why not just resign Calhoun?  They are pretty similar....Keep Rengifo for depth and/or a trade at some point for a pitcher....It will be interesting to see what happens.......

Thats kind of my take. Pederson is a lot better than Kole... but neither fits the long term plan w adell/marsh. (Pederson is cheaper than Kole would have been though).

I also think Rengifo has more value to us long term than Joc.

Just seems..... peculiar. And as good of a prospect as this Pages might be, outfield we have a ton of prospects already... not as many middle infielders.

It just seems like trading for another outfielder, and outfield prospect, doesnt make a ton of sense, unless its a precursor move.

Then again, like you said, maybe they like Pederson enough to trade for him, and Pages replaces whatever outfield prospect we're sending over.

1 minute ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Just seems..... peculiar. And as good of a prospect as this Pages might be, outfield we have a ton of prospects already... not as many middle infielders..

Been an odd offseason....It also seemed peculiar to me to trade a brand new 1st round draft choice in order to dump one year of a bad contract....I have generally liked Eppler's moves but still a little perplexed....we'll see....

There are a lot of “makes no sense” comments about this trade.  But:

1). The team is better today than it was yesterday. 
2). This takes all the pressure off Adell to be ready and productive immediately.

3). If the Angels think their best way to get a stud starter is to trade for one at the deadline, then they need to be in the race at the deadline, and this trade helps accomplish that (as described above).

4). When Adell “arrives” Pederson’s bat will have to be in the lineup at 1B over Pujols.

5). I really doubt not having Rengifo specifically is going to prevent the Angels from making a deal for a starter at the deadline.

6). This pushes Goodwin to 4th OF, where he is a big plus in that role versus being “passable” as a temporary fill in until Adell arrives.

So I see how this works in a plan to be better now so that the team is in it at the deadline.

Obviously we are waiting on names still, but...

Getting Rendon, Bundy, Teheran, Pederson, Andriese, and Castro with Luis Rengifo being the only actual prospect/player lost (so far) is a pretty successful offseason. 

I mean, the comp pick, Bradish, Mattson, and Beasley are still something, but, nothing really too painful to lose. Typical guys that get lost every offseason more or less. 

They have plenty of ammo to deal from at the deadline if they’re buyers. They now have a *ton* of guys to shop if they wind up sellers. They have some guys under control, and some money freed up at the end of the season. Pretty nicely balanced and well-done by Eppler, if you ask me.

Edited by totdprods

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Obviously we are waiting on names still, but...

Getting Rendon, Bundy, Teheran, Pederson, Andriese, and Castro with Luis Rengifo being the only actual prospect/player lost (so far) is a pretty successful offseason. 

Add either Srippling or Gonsolin to that and Eppler bounced back nicely from losing out on the top tier FA pitchers.

Sorry if already discussed (don't have time to go all the way through this thread), but Passan, who is usually pretty accurate, says "a big league starter" is coming from the Dogs.....I would think they would want to move some salary to accomodate Betts and Price (probably a big part of moving Pederson)?  I'd love to get Stripling but not sure how much he would be making?  Not anybody else (big salary) that they'd move after Maeda goes to the Twins?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/02/angels-to-acquire-joc-pederson.html