• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels discussed Clevinger with Indians

SoWhat

Angels can’t afford to start the season without a legit top of the rotation pitcher imo. 

It’s now time! 

I suspect that the Indians would pass Adell straight up for Clevinger. It may take one of our top young pitchers to seal the deal. We still have Marsh and Adams. It will sting at first but at least we’re not adding $30-35M to payroll. 
Winning always makes the wounds heal quickly. 

I was on the “I would trade Jo for Clevinger” train for awhile but at this point, Clevinger doesn’t put us as WS contenders IMO. I’d rather see what we have with Adell and go from there. If Adell is the real deal; that makes Marsh and/or Adams that much more expendable for a frontline starter. A future lineup of Adell, Trout, Rendon, Ohtani is too good to pass up 

I’m as open-minded as can be when it comes to trading prospects and would deal Adell if the right scenario came up, but, there’s something really unnerving and unappealing about dealing him for Clevinger given that he was once an Angels prospect. Just can’t do it.

If it was a pure one-for-one, I’d think about it, but surely Cleveland will demand (and deserve) more. 

Still think prices will drop enough that they get someone good by Opening Day without giving up Adell and perhaps even Marsh.

7 hours ago, Ray McKigney said:

Every time I think about this, I get so depressed.

Throw Reagins in here, too. Imagine where the last decade could have been if we hadnt traded clevinger for pestano (1 year?), but also corbins and skaggs for 2 good years of haren, and segura for 2 months of grienke.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but as others have said at the time of the trade he wasnt projected to be what he is, not even close so dwelling on that seems pointless.
My issues with him are simple, durability.
He has only pitched over 125 innings only once in 4 years in the bigs and that was 2 years ago missing significant time in both the season before and after.  Back problems dont tend to go away.
While he may be an ace when out there, he isnt out there enough to justify losing your top prospect, once of the top 5 in the entire game, PLUS more.
I get Cle asking for that, but they are going to have to come way down for that to fly.

The part of this I find interesting is the Bauer part. I’m sure Bauer would be more inclined to come to the Angels if his buddy Clevinger is here. Ohtani, Clevinger, Bauer, Heaney, Bundy for 2021 would be pretty legit.  

Seems clear that none of us are wild about Adell, so i guess the question is what WOULD you trade for him?

I thought early in the off season we matched up well with them due to their need at 2B but that all kinda went south when the signed Hernandez.    Rengifo can play SS so maybe thats still a fit if they deal Lindor or might make that an easier pill to swallow.

Per this article their other need was corner OF, https://www.mlb.com/indians/news/indians-offseason-needs-and-moves, now they could go bring back Puig but i dont think they want to... could go get Castellanos but i havent heard them in those talks, so they seem to wan a younger options there.  Now if it isnt going to be Adell, Marsh is the next logical choice but is he ready enough?

So what do you think would actually make sense here, if anything?  I kinda feel like if they trade Lindor they are somewhat punting for 20, so maybe a guy that can step right in opening day isnt that required.  They wont admit that but, is kinda hard to ignore when you trade Kluber, Lindor, and possibly Clevinger that you are doing at least a mini rebuild.

13 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I guess I find it mildly amusing when fans get worked up that trading for Clevinger would create a different deficiency in having a thinner farm.

The farm was so horrible and so devoid of talent for such a long time that I understand this. You don't want to trade the future for the past.

There was a trailer on MLB Network this morning that implies that a Clevinger-to-Angels deal isn't dead.

As far as trading him for the immortal Vinnie Pestano and looking at what he has become, remember who the Angels' pitching coach was then. He might have come up and flamed out without amounting to anything.