• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Julio Teheran (1 year, $9 million)

mmc

2 hours ago, ukyah said:

i'm going to be honest, while not bothering to quote you. i didn't read any of either of those posts. the lesson to be learned here is, you can't say a bunch of dumb shit and then be like, my lectures at noon.

Ukyah said: as far as the meat of the post, you don't know bo diddley about some made up each roster spot has a specific dollar value nonsense.

I was explaining my reasoning of why the roster is built based on AAV and return in WAR by area of the roster. It's been done hundreds of times here as everyone bases it on a suggested budget from Arte and him not wanting to exceed the tax threshold.

Everyone on here from their suggested trades, who we should sign in FA include AAV and WAR figures. 

I'm stating this is exactly how Eppler does it when you base the overall structure of building a roster. Bullpen is the least valuable based on innings, AAV and WAR return on investment and his "Epplers" ability of finding clean peanuts on the cheap to place into the bullpen. Shows this is his roster building thought process.

I think one good thing about the Bundy trade and Teheran signing, as unexciting as they were, make it more likely that the last other acquired will likely have to common qualities...

1. Upside. The Angels need it desperately. They probably need more than one, but that ship has since sailed.

2. It's unlikely the final pitcher will be acquired via trade, given the asking price and the fact that there remaining free agents won't cost a draft pick or prospects.

Which leads me to the true positive outcome here, which is that Griffin Canning and Patrick Sandoval are likely going to remain in the organization. Both have all sorts of potential, both are major league ready and both likely have a future brighter than that of a back end starter. 

15 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I think one good thing about the Bundy trade and Teheran signing, as unexciting as they were, make it more likely that the last other acquired will likely have to common qualities...

1. Upside. The Angels need it desperately. They probably need more than one, but that ship has since sailed.

2. It's unlikely the final pitcher will be acquired via trade, given the asking price and the fact that there remaining free agents won't cost a draft pick or prospects.

Which leads me to the true positive outcome here, which is that Griffin Canning and Patrick Sandoval are likely going to remain in the organization. Both have all sorts of potential, both are major league ready and both likely have a future brighter than that of a back end starter. 

Totally agree,I would sign Ryu and Maldonado.  Think how improved the ML roster would be with minimal impact to the farm, it could really set up a window.

1 hour ago, Revad said:

Nothing surprising here but worth a read, from Jake Mailhot at fangraphs.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/angels-pay-for-durability-sign-julio-teheran/

With Teheran, their starting rotation is projected to accumulate 10.7 WAR (based on our Steamer-powered Depth Charts). That total ranks ninth in the American League but fourth in the AL West behind the Astros, Rangers, and Athletics. Teheran is a good addition that gives their rotation some needed consistency, but he doesn’t necessarily raise the ceiling of the pitching staff much.

forrest gump remembrance GIF

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

forrest gump remembrance GIF

the projection system gives him no credit for controlling opponents contact.  Which seems crazy in that he's shown the ability to induce weak contact as a repeatable skill.  He leads all of baseball in FDP-WAR over the last 7 years.  Over that same period his RA9-WAR ie WAR based on number of runs he's allowed and not based on FIP is 18th overall which is similar to that of Gray, Darvish, Cueto, Keuchel, Hendricks, Quintana, Arrieta, and Price.  

Lineup. Bullpen. Rotation. 

If you are in the top third in 2 and middle of the pack in one, you’re a playoff contender. If you are in the top 3rd in all 3, you are a WS contender. 

At this point I’d say the Angels are just trying to make sure they have an average rotation, and hoping for better in the lineup and bullpen. 

29 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Lineup. Bullpen. Rotation. 

If you are in the top third in 2 and middle of the pack in one, you’re a playoff contender. If you are in the top 3rd in all 3, you are a WS contender. 

At this point I’d say the Angels are just trying to make sure they have an average rotation, and hoping for better in the lineup and bullpen. 

Do we have a top end bullpen though? 

I think we do. Robles was outstanding this past year, and we're getting Middleton back healthy. Buttrey struggled in the 2nd half but I expect him to rebound. That's a hell of a back end (not as good as Tank's, though).

We also have a wealth of peanuts and SP depth to choose from. Bedrosian was good. Noe Ramirez was good. 

28 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I think we do. Robles was outstanding this past year, and we're getting Middleton back healthy. Buttrey struggled in the 2nd half but I expect him to rebound. That's a hell of a back end (not as good as Tank's, though).

We also have a wealth of peanuts and SP depth to choose from. Bedrosian was good. Noe Ramirez was good. 

Also, I still have some hope for Justin Anderson. He seemed over worked and had a lat injury second half of last year. 

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

Don’t forget it looks like Felix Pena is getting out back into the pen and that will strengthen it even more. 

2 hours ago, Kevinb said:

Do we have a top end bullpen though? 

Almost every team has the chance to have a top end bullpen on any given year. 

Robles, Middleton, Buttrey and Bedrosian all could be pretty good. If one of those extra starters (Peña? Peters?) is a solid middle reliever, and if the starters at least pitch some more innings to keep the pen fresh, they could be pretty good. 

I think it is very hard to predict how well our bullpen will perform next season due to the fact that relievers are as volatile as they are, and many of our best relievers last season had career years.  It could be a new norm for them, or they could regress.  We'll have to wait and see, but that's why I want to bring in a reliever that's been good for quite awhile, just to add some stability (Will Harris please).

2 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

I think it is very hard to predict how well our bullpen will perform next season due to the fact that relievers are as volatile as they are, and many of our best relievers last season had career years.  It could be a new norm for them, or they could regress.  We'll have to wait and see, but that's why I want to bring in a reliever that's been good for quite awhile, just to add some stability (Will Harris please).

I’d absolutely welcome Will Harris.  But who, outside of Robles had a career year?