• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Julio Teheran (1 year, $9 million)

mmc

13 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Still wrong, check the career earnings part of that.That million is this years buyout.

Understand that! He still isnt receiving his 12M from the Braves! They cut him. So, for the year between their buyout and our contract he gains 10M of which 9M comes from us...which is still a high raise from the 1M the Braves gave him to leave!

Which for the money 9M was the same we paid Cahill last year.

It's almost like a salary spot. Whoever will accept 9M we will throw it at them! To me it shows a breakdown of positional monies thrown at the rotation! He slots into Cahill's $$$ slot.  Which means a % of the roster money has a breakdown so who will get Harvey's 11M?.... was it Bundy and we are done?

I don’t know..... to me they’re better off just riding with what they’ve got then getting into a horrible contract with Keuchel or Ryu.  We can revisit trades at the deadline.  Try again for better starters next year.  I don’t know that we get that much better with Keuchel and Ryu.  Ryu in particular really concerns me.  I’d like Keuchel on a reasonable contract.  3 years max.  I don’t know if that’s a possibility. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

6 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Understand that! He still isnt receiving his 12M from the Braves! They cut him. So, for the year between their buyout and our contract he gains 10M of which 9M comes from us...which is still a high raise from the 1M the Braves gave him to leave!

Which for the money 9M was the same we paid Cahill last year.

It's almost like a salary spot. Whoever will accept 9M we will throw it at them!

Still wrong they paid him $11.1 in 2019, his salary for 2020 was going to be $12 million.They declined that and paid the $1 million. This just like the Kole Calhoun contract.

I like this move. 

Very durable arm, turning 29 and has strong motivation to perform well for long term contract next summer, almost guaranteed 30+ starts, 180 innings, high 3s to mid 4s ERA.

He ain't anything like an ace but you aren't getting an ace with 9M/1yr deal anyways, so this move has low risk and decent return for the Angels.

4 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Still wrong they paid him $11.1 in 2019, his salary for 2020 was going to be $12 million.They declined that and paid the $1 million. This just like the Kole Calhoun contract.

Is 1M more than 9M?

They gave him 1M to leave. We then gave him 9M to pitch here. =10m received for the 2020 season. Yes, it is less than 12.2M still an over pay.

I'm just saying it's the same $$ spot Cahill had last year is it an overpay? Would the Braves had paid him 9M to stay or the 12.2M? Probably neither as they even held him off the Playoff roster. They gave him 1M to walk away.

Yes, the exact same thing we did with Kole. Which is why we wont attempt to re-sign him either even to a short term lesser deal... We already gave him his buyout to walk away! Then we wouldnt give him more $$$ to play for us in 2020. 

Ok I've had a little bit of time to digest this. I like this move if Callaway can convince Teheran to stop throw 90 mph fastball 40% of the time. I understand why, because his fastball used to sit 94-95, but it doesn't anymore. He's got a great frisbee slider and a change up that fades away from lefties. He hides the ball well and that hitch in his delivery can throw off timing.

Have him develop his two-seamer a little more or a cutter.

55 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

So, we gave Cahill's Dinero to Teheran!!!

So, does that mean Clay Buchholz is going to get Harvey's?...

Great signing! Too much for someone who was an Arb cut! We gave a dude who was cut an 8M raise over last year! Screams overpay.

You said this,the Angels did not give him a $8 million raise from last year they actually cut his pay by $2 million

27 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

nice try, but that wasn't what you said. 

58 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Great signing! Too much for someone who was an Arb cut! We gave a dude who was cut an 8M raise over last year! Screams overpay.

no, we didn't.

13 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Having an extra durable pitcher gives the Angels a little more safety net if they go for the more risky Ryu instead of Keuchel. 

This has been my thinking. If they were gonna sign Keuchel, why sign Teheran? Teheran is Keuchel-lite.

Whereas Ryu would've been a tougher target given the concerns about his ability to stay healthy. But Ryu undeniably has more upside than Keuchel. Now that they have a couple of guys who are as close as you can get to locks to put up innings, Ryu makes a lot more sense as a target, whereas Keuchel doesn't really move the needle much.

Either of them would help make the team better during the season. But the problem is that none of their five other than Ohtani make sense as guys you want to run out there in the playoffs against other top teams. This has been my concern all along with not getting Cole. In the playoffs, you need an ace. Keuchel isn't that guy. Ryu could be. 

8 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Ok I've had a little bit of time to digest this. I like this move if Callaway can convince Teheran to stop throw 90 mph fastball 40% of the time. I understand why, because his fastball used to sit 94-95, but it doesn't anymore. He's got a great frisbee slider and a change up that fades away from lefties. He hides the ball well and that hitch in his delivery can throw off timing.

Have him develop his two-seamer a little more or a cutter.

seriously -- dude needs to just junk it completely and buy into being Omar Olivares.

Stability at the mid/back end of the rotation can be overlooked. If one or both of the top two starters have bad games in succession,  a loss can turn into a losing streak if the rest of the starters don't do their part. 

Obviously the mid/back end starters won't be as good as the top two consistently, but if they keep games close and sometimes exceed their normal expectations then the team can right itself and still win. 

Teheran and Bundy are veterans but not broken down or locked into a cycle of regression. With a powerhouse lineup behind them they should consistently eat innings and keep games competitive.

They both know how to finesse tough situations and get out of trouble fairly well. At least long enough to not use up the bullpen. Not elite quality, but certainly respectable, established major league starters who may yet do better than expected. 

And the cost for both are almost steals. Two regular starters and no significant loss of talent or money. Not low end bargain hunting, but mid level transactions that improve the team immediately.

Like everyone else, I hope there is more to come. Keuchal or Ryu seem the most obvious. Neither are 'A' listers for various reasons, but each may be a 'B - B +' depending on contract and actual performance. I think Ryu may have more potential to be the better ace, but also more risk. Keuchel should be more steady and durable, but won't regain his prime..

Still, either will be a big upgrade from last year.

Hey Lou and Hobbs,

Look, I went on Spotrac it says his 2019 salary was 1M.... 

Not the buyout on the 2020!

I even posted a photo.

If his 2019 salary was 1M as it is listed and we gave him a 9M co tract that is an 8M over pay.

I'm on my phone and also these stupid ads keep popping up and messing with the sight.

13 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

This has been my thinking. If they were gonna sign Keuchel, why sign Teheran? Teheran is Keuchel-lite.

Whereas Ryu would've been a tougher target given the concerns about his ability to stay healthy. But Ryu undeniably has more upside than Keuchel. Now that they have a couple of guys who are as close as you can get to locks to put up innings, Ryu makes a lot more sense as a target, whereas Keuchel doesn't really move the needle much.

Either of them would help make the team better during the season. But the problem is that none of their five other than Ohtani make sense as guys you want to run out there in the playoffs against other top teams. This has been my concern all along with not getting Cole. In the playoffs, you need an ace. Keuchel isn't that guy. Ryu could be. 

I'd feel somewhat comfortable with Ryu and Ohtani in the playoffs, but that's about it. Unless they pair Heaney/Canning. Still, a very strong team if Ryu is added