• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Julio Teheran (1 year, $9 million)

mmc

40 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

seriously -- dude needs to just junk it completely and buy into being Omar Olivares.

There's something to be said about major leaguers that are humble enough to embrace a new approach as they age. Dan Haren did. Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, Rich Hill, Kershaw has as well. RA Dickey and Scott Kazmir reinvented themselves entirely.

It's the guys that never change their approach that never really get a chance to fade. They just reach that proverbial cliff and they're done. Weaver immediately comes to mind, though in all fairness, I don't think there's anyway to disguise 85 mph. James Shields would be another. Matt Harvey definitely. I suspect that Trevor Bauer may be fast approaching that cliff too.

The only guys I can think of who pitched the same in their early twenties as their mid 30's were Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens, Zack Greinke, Max Scherzer and Justin Verlander. The last four guys on that list I'm highly skeptical of. 

On the position player side, Torii Hunter extended his career an extra three years by moving toward a contact and OBP heavy approach. 

55 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Hey Lou and Hobbs,

Look, I went on Spotrac it says his 2019 salary was 1M.... 

Not the buyout on the 2020!

I even posted a photo.

If his 2019 salary was 1M as it is listed and we gave him a 9M co tract that is an 8M over pay.

I'm on my phone and also these stupid ads keep popping up and messing with the sight.

He made $11.1M in 2019. And then a $1M buyout. 

1 hour ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Is 1M more than 9M?

They gave him 1M to leave. We then gave him 9M to pitch here. =10m received for the 2020 season. Yes, it is less than 12.2M still an over pay.

I'm just saying it's the same $$ spot Cahill had last year is it an overpay? Would the Braves had paid him 9M to stay or the 12.2M? Probably neither as they even held him off the Playoff roster. They gave him 1M to walk away.

Yes, the exact same thing we did with Kole. Which is why we wont attempt to re-sign him either even to a short term lesser deal... We already gave him his buyout to walk away! Then we wouldnt give him more $$$ to play for us in 2020. 

are you having a stroke? you're going full retard repeatedly in this thread. the intentional obtuseness over his buyout, etc. isn't bringing anything to the conversation. he got paid 9 million for one year with the angels, the people saying he got overpaid are just being generous. it's less than expected by most, and equal in AAV to the 2/18 that he was projected to get. it's not an overpay, it's just a pay.

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Having an extra durable pitcher gives the Angels a little more safety net if they go for the more risky Ryu instead of Keuchel. 

This is my thought as well.  With Bundy and Tehearn, we have added guys who give a lot of innings.  At this point, I’d rather take more of a risk for a top-of-the-rotation SP like Ryu, who has a higher ceiling but lower floor (due to injury concerns) than someone like Keuchel.

That said, I’d gladly take either at this point.

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

Not surprised that Eppler revisited the one-year-deal approach.

This is starting to feel more and more like last year's off-season.

Yep, aside from the fact that he replaced two mediocre pitchers who couldn’t put up innings with two guys who can and he has an elite offense, and Ohtani is back, exactly the same. 

Also, the offseason isn’t done. 

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

Not surprised that Eppler revisited the one-year-deal approach.

This is starting to feel more and more like last year's off-season.

really?  like when we signed an elite offensive player that wasn't already on the team?  I'm having a hard time remembering who that was though.  Maybe it was Justin Bour or Jonathan Lucroy.  

Kind of funny to see people excited about Bundy and Teheran after last years fiasco with Harvey and Cahill.  Cahill was given just as much as Teheran, and had a 3.80 xFIP in 2018, meanwhile Teheran had a 5.26 xFIP last season.  I’d be cautious at expecting a different outcome

here's some fun with teheran numbers from just last year.

he started 33 games. his record was 10-11 in those games. the braves went 19-14 in games he started.

at that win percentage, the braves win about 95 games if he started every regular season game for them. braves record in 2019? 97-65.

the braves scored 5.22 runs per game in 2019, 7th overall. the angels scored 4.75 runs per game, 16th overall.

perhaps improving the offense and incrementally improving the pitching staff is a better formula than we've given credit. if the angels improve by one half run per game, which is a lot, then they could project to 97 wins with teheran results from their starters.

10 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Kind of funny to see people excited about Bundy and Teheran after last years fiasco with Harvey and Cahill.  Cahill was given just as much as Teheran, and had a 3.80 xFIP in 2018, meanwhile Teheran had a 5.26 xFIP last season.  I’d be cautious at expecting a different outcome

Dude... who is watching Twitter while you're in here?

20 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Harvey and Cahill were/are schizophrenic garbage....nothing close to the consistency Teheran has shown....Teheran ain’t great but he’s a much better bet to put up decent numbers than Harvey or Cahill were last year....

21 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I like this signing. 

I'm not expecting a sub 4 ERA, but I'm definitely expecting 170+ innings and 160+ strikeouts. He's a very good number 4/OK number 3.

One thing I will say is he makes Keuchel a bit redundant. Ryu should be the main target now.

at the very least, i find ryu more interesting.

it's kind of your classic draft player, floor vs. ceiling. keuchel conceivably has the higher floor/lower ceiling, where as ryu is the higher ceiling/lower floor player.

if we managed to get the 170+ innings from ryu, the impact would be much higher than keuchel.

Ryu scares me for all the reasons he scares everyone. Hes always hurt. Hes older. And boras will demand he gets paid. So my vote is DK.

That said, I see the wisdom in Ryu being the target. If he stays healthy, he gives us a bonafide front line starter. The payoff would be far better.

With Tehran being a 1 year deal, obviously we will need to sign someone next year again. No idea what the market for FAs is next year. If there isnt a frontline guy, perhaps ryu is the best option.

4 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Ryu scares me for all the reasons he scares everyone. Hes always hurt. Hes older. And boras will demand he gets paid. So my vote is DK.

That said, I see the wisdom in Ryu being the target. If he stays healthy, he gives us a bonafide front line starter. The payoff would be far better.

With Tehran being a 1 year deal, obviously we will need to sign someone next year again. No idea what the market for FAs is next year. If there isnt a frontline guy, perhaps ryu is the best option.

We are likely hitching our chances to Ryu if we go that route. If he's hurt there probably isn't any backup, and this team is currently one solid arm away from being a legit contender, IMO.

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

We are likely hitching our chances to Ryu if we go that route. If he's hurt there probably isn't any backup, and this team is currently one solid arm away from being a legit contender, IMO.

DK is for sure the safer bet.

The upside of ryu is better, obviously. The stability of DK is more comfortable, though.

If Adell is the real deal, maybe we use mediocre pitching and a rock solid lineup to win. If things finally go our way it could work.

Assuming.  Ohtani #3.  Teheran #4.  Bundy #5.

Heaney #2?  Remembering that Heaney make Ryu look like an iron man.  Or do we trade him for either a catcher or as a bundle for a better pitcher?  Or do we go with 6 SP, and Heaney and Canning as #2/6.  Pretty much going Ohtani, Heaney, and Canning as once a week pitchers.  Which means we just need a #1 and a C.