• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Scioscia steps down as Angels manager

Well, i think we all had an idea this was probable after that Rosenthal article from a few months ago, still crazy that it's actually happening. I wonder if he'll take a year or two off before managing a new team. It sure is going to be weird not seeing him in the dugout anymore.

39 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

to those celebrating this:  

there's about a 90% chance the next manager isn't as good.  

...and the other half is the chance the next manager is no worse.

In truth, I worry about the clubhouse when things eventually go bad......Scioscia has demonstrated the ability to maintain a drama-free clubhouse for his entire career.  I think the players will miss him.

Mike Scioscia brought the organization a long way and finally made MLB sit up and notice that the Los Angeles Angels (of Anaheim) were a big market team with big market talent.

Before he was Halos skipper, the Halos were still very much in the shadow of the Dodgers -- some argue they still are but I think the Halos during Mike's tenure established themselves as their own entity and more than just 'the second LA/ S. Cal team"

That being said, this move is about four or five years late. Mike's ceased being an effective skipper for the Halos about four or five seasons ago,

His formula- style 'every day the same moves, the same players doing the same things in the same order' just got old and, really, left nothing to the imagination. Opposing teams knew hours before the game who would be pitching in the latter innings and in what order.........his moves were 'by the book -- his book -- a formula that never changed,'

mix things up to bring in the hot hand ,pitching or hitting? No way.

Pujols hitting into too many GIDPs and killing rallies? He bats fourth......

Scioscia is an all time Halo - good luck to him.

As he often would say after games and as he himself sort of said today about his leaving the Halos : "it's time to turn the page"

Good for him and it's good for the Halos. I think the decision was mutual with a mild push from the organization that might have become a shove if he decided to stay on,

A reporter asked him 'what's next?" as in 'are you going to manage again? perhaps next year - for someone else?" and my TV cut out right then -- what was his response to that (other than his later refusal to answer any questions except those about the meaningless final game/ walk off win)?

Was Brad Ausmus in the crowd at the press conference? How about Eric Chavez?

One of those two likely to be Halos choice which I am sure has already been made -- they'll have to do a dog and pony show about interviewing a few candidates, though.

9 minutes ago, disarcina said:

Mike Scioscia brought the organization a long way and finally made MLB sit up and notice that the Los Angeles Angels (of Anaheim) were a big market team with big market talent.

Before he was Halos skipper, the Halos were still very much in the shadow of the Dodgers -- some argue they still are but I think the Halos during Mike's tenure established themselves as their own entity and more than just 'the second LA/ S. Cal team"

That being said, this move is about four or five years late. Mike's ceased being an effective skipper for the Halos about four or five seasons ago,

His formula- style 'every day the same moves, the same players doing the same things in the same order' just got old and, really, left nothing to the imagination. Opposing teams knew hours before the game who would be pitching in the latter innings and in what order.........his moves were 'by the book -- his book -- a formula that never changed,'

mix things up to bring in the hot hand ,pitching or hitting? No way.

Pujols hitting into too many GIDPs and killing rallies? He bats fourth......

Scioscia is an all time Halo - good luck to him.

As he often would say after games and as he himself sort of said today about his leaving the Halos : "it's time to turn the page"

Good for him and it's good for the Halos. I think the decision was mutual with a mild push from the organization that might have become a shove if he decided to stay on,

A reporter asked him 'what's next?" as in 'are you going to manage again? perhaps next year - for someone else?" and my TV cut out right then -- what was his response to that (other than his later refusal to answer any questions except those about the meaningless final game/ walk off win)?

Was Brad Ausmus in the crowd at the press conference? How about Eric Chavez?

One of those two likely to be Halos choice which I am sure has already been made -- they'll have to do a dog and pony show about interviewing a few candidates, though.

Arte Moreno had a lot more to do with that than Mike Scioscia.  The stars aligned in 2002, but without Arte taking over and spending money, the organization may not have boosted their status as much as they did.  May not.  Someone else could've done it, too, but I certainly credit Arte Moreno with taking the organization to a higher level more than I do Mike Scioscia. Much more.  Of course, Arte has also dragged them down a bit at time.

Spending all my nights, all my money going out on the town
Doing anything just to get you off of my mind
But when the morning comes, I'm right back where I started again
Trying to forget you is just a waste of time
Baby come back, any kind of fool could see
There was something in everything about you
Baby come back, you can blame it all on me
I was wrong, and I just can't live without you
All day long, wearing a mask of false bravado
Trying to keep up the smile that hides a tear
But as the sun goes down, I get that empty feeling again
How I wish to God that you were here