• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Scioscia steps down as Angels manager

6 minutes ago, Glen said:

Leaving something you've done for 19 years is tough. 

If he wanted to leave it's easier. It didn't look like it was easier. Like he said I think the Angels wanted to go in a new direction. They will say it was mutual but mutual break ups are never mutual. One person wants to walk away more than the other. 

3 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i couldn't stomach the discord in here anymore, so i had to take a break from the board, but i wanted to acknowledge that mike meant a great deal to this organization and while it is time for a change, he brought it out of the abyss. also, that press conference was really touching. i thought he handled himself very well.

Yup, I was starting to get teary eyed myself.

7 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

If he wanted to leave it's easier. It didn't look like it was easier. Like he said I think the Angels wanted to go in a new direction. They will say it was mutual but mutual break ups are never mutual. One person wants to walk away more than the other. 

Does it matter 

10 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i couldn't stomach the discord in here anymore, so i had to take a break from the board, but i wanted to acknowledge that mike meant a great deal to this organization and while it is time for a change, he brought it out of the abyss. also, that press conference was really touching. i thought he handled himself very well.

well said

Mike Scioscia is the greatest manager this organization has ever had and we (I) will always be thankful for his time here. In a league that was reliant on the long ball in the early-mid 2000's, he brought that small ball, manufacturing runs mentality and it worked. He was a great leader in the clubhouse and the players love him.

Unfortunately, all good things run their course and it's time to start anew. That's not to diminish anything Mike did for the Angels, but in his words, it's turning the page, and that in itself is exciting.

Really wanted to make it to the game today but wasnt able to. I figured it wouldnt really matter anyway, not like they were going to do something before the game.

Looking forward to who ever replaces him. 

Gonna miss Sosh, though. Even with the warts, he was instrumental in changing the attitude of this franchise.

And the last man standing from the 02 team, more or less.

To the haters, be careful what you wish for. He was far more good for the team than bad 

5 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Really wanted to make it to the game today but wasnt able to. I figured it wouldnt really matter anyway, not like they were going to do something before the game.

Looking forward to who ever replaces him. 

Gonna miss Sosh, though. Even with the warts, he was instrumental in changing the attitude of this franchise.

And the last man standing from the 02 team, more or less.

To the haters, be careful what you wish for. He was far more good for the team than bad 

having already acknowledged mike's immense contributions to this organization, i do believe that in many ways his time has passed. imo, the future success or failure of the organization has less to do with mike and his coaches departing and more to do with how eppler and his office handle this new hire and their approach. 

i truly hope we see this organization run like the yankees, dodgers, bosox, and astros. if they do that, and moreno understands what it takes to truly operate as a flagship franchise, then the sky is the limit.

2 minutes ago, ukyah said:

having already acknowledged mike's immense contributions to this organization, i do believe that in many ways his time has passed. imo, the future success or failure of the organization has less to do with mike and his coaches departing and more to do with how eppler and his office handle this new hire and their approach. 

i truly hope we see this organization run like the yankees, dodgers, bosox, and astros. if they do that, and moreno understands what it takes to truly operate as a flagship franchise, then the sky is the limit.

Agreed. I think the days of the manager having a huge role are done. 

I imagine the org has been planning this out for a bit, and if so, already have replacementS lined up.

1 minute ago, Glen said:

While I appreciate all of the "be careful what you wish for" posts, haven't we also heard that managers make at best a five-game difference in a season?

Yes. And unless they hire a total idiot, it wont hurt the team that sosh is gone. To me its more a warning that the teams problems arent leaving with sosh, nor will the new manager bring a new SP staff and better luck with him. IE, the scapegoat is gone, but the problems remain.

Damn his press conference around the 4 min mark had me getting emotional, being apart of something 19 years is such a long time. 

He's got a timeline of events that you could create a endless nostalgia package of great moments, I truly thank you Mike for your commitment the last 2 decades.

Nothing will ever replace the franchise winning its first World Series Championship. Mike Scioscia will have that grandest of memories with him forever, and the fans will always have that image etched in their minds no matter where the franchise goes in the future.  Nothing will ever diminish that in my mind.  The memories of the 2002 season are as close to perfection as you can get.

Re: Who's decision it was. I imagine it was something like this.

Eppler (sometime in July-August): Hey Mike, it's been a great run. Thanks for everything. But I think we're probably not going to be offering you an extension after the season. What would you like to do?

Scioscia: Let me get back to you.

Scioscia (in September): OK, I think you're right. Stepping down is the best thing for me and the organization.

Eppler: Cool.

Also, I now feel like Brad Ausmus is the favorite. I could be totally wrong, but that is what I feel at 9:23 pm on Sept. 30. Also, I believe that Eppler is going open-minded into interviews, so anyone who is the favorite today may not get the job.

And before you all crap on Ausmus because of what happened with the Tigers, remember what people thought of AJ Hinch after the DBacks. He stepped back, worked in the front office, and turned from a caterpillar into a butterfly.

Anyway, I'll probably change my mind. Personally I'd like it be Chavez, because I know him the best.