• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Scioscia steps down as Angels manager

3 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Lol @ muppet

Kind of suprising there wasnt some kind of thing done for sosh pre game. I assume that was his choice. But you figure as long as hes been with the org, he would have had some kind of video played on the scoreboard or something.

Scioscia will get his due in the future, I'm quite confident the team will appropriately honor his accomplishments in significant ways.  First off he will be put into the Angels Hall of Fame, and then possibly the MLB Hall of Fame, and maybe a retirement of number 14 by the Angels.  He is young enough that if he continues to manage his win numbers are very likely to get quite impressive.

7 hours ago, Lou said:

I read that there were videos played thought the game on Saturday. 

They played Scioscia highlight videos throughout the games Saturday and Sunday. And I think Scioscia was kind of annoyed, actually. He really didn't want any attention on him.

Now that I'm thinking of it... I covered Scioscia and Dusty Baker as managers, and both of them were pretty committed to the idea that the focus should be the players, at all times, not the manager. Makes sense that would be a response from guys who were players when Tommy Lasorda was a "star manager." I don't think that sits well with players.

I missed saturday and sundays games, so wasnt aware they did something.

I assumed they didnt make a big announcement prior to per sosh, and Fletcher clears that up.

Respect him for that, but for the fans, Im glad they did something. Shortcomings aside, hes been a staple of this team for way too long to have just not acknowledged it. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

They played Scioscia highlight videos throughout the games Saturday and Sunday. And I think Scioscia was kind of annoyed, actually. He really didn't want any attention on him.

Now that I'm thinking of it... I covered Scioscia and Dusty Baker as managers, and both of them were pretty committed to the idea that the focus should be the players, at all times, not the manager. Makes sense that would be a response from guys who were players when Tommy Lasorda was a "star manager." I don't think that sits well with players.

Is this why the Angels didn't make any announcement until the end of the season?

I really expected they would have given Sosh the final weekend as a more official sendoff. 

After 19 years of management, he is an Angels fixture, I thought he deserved a bit more of a sendoff.

He really didn't want one. I was at the game Sunday with a good view of the dugout and he sat mid bench in the rail the entire game just soaking up the game.

When it was over he shook a couple hands and went down the tunnel, never gave the fans that moment and did what he said was important, leave the game to the players. They were busy going crazy about the walk off as he walked off the field for the last time. 

The did a post game interview with Taylor Ward then put the last post game interview on the big screen. Trout, Upton and Calhoun were at the interview and Scioscia kept saying, aren't you guys late for a flight? You could tell he didn't want to say goodbye to them for the last time.

He took the old soldiers just fade away approach to his last game. The way he wanted it.

38 minutes ago, Jobu said:

Jeff, you have to understand, this is all very new to us.

i asked because there hasn't been any announcement made on whether or not they're being kept, and we don't know if/how sosh's decision affects them.

1 minute ago, Tank said:

i asked because there hasn't been any announcement made on whether or not they're being kept, and we don't know if/how sosh's decision affects them.

All of their roles are going to be hashed out between Eppler and the new manager. 

However, Eppler hired Nagy, Hinske, Paul and Bailey. Inherited the rest. 

• 11 months later...
On 9/30/2018 at 2:58 PM, FabulousFabregas said:

google summer of code GIF

On 9/30/2018 at 3:08 PM, nando714 said:

Finally. 

On 9/30/2018 at 3:33 PM, Vladdylonglegs said:

The team is so much better off. 

On 9/30/2018 at 3:58 PM, mp170.6 said:

yas praise GIF

On 9/30/2018 at 4:24 PM, Homebrewer said:

giphy.gif

On 9/30/2018 at 5:17 PM, papawealey said:

Finally. It's past time for a change.

On 9/30/2018 at 6:48 PM, gurn67 said:

The best off the field Angels' news I've heard since the Trout extension!!!

On 9/30/2018 at 8:55 PM, nate said:

Five years too late.

Thankful for what he did for the Angels franchise last decade.  Thankful that the Angels can finally move on.

On 9/30/2018 at 10:10 PM, Puget Sound Angel said:

Free At Last! Free At Last! Thank God Almighty, We Are Free At Last.

I agree