• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trade Deadline Thread

5 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Well, with one inning Huston Street completely erased any remaining trade value.

Get him out of the closer role, pitch him in earlier situations and hope he can get himself straightened out....trade him in August or in the offseason, or keep him for next year, just not as a closer....not much else to do.

1 hour ago, nando714 said:

I wouldn't mind Puig at all. He could use the change of scenery and a little leadership from Pujols and trout 

There shouldn't be anyone on this board that should be against Puig (pending asking price). The outfield market is crap this offseason. Puig is owed 6.5 next season and 7.5 the following before becoming a FA. 2 year 14 million contract going forward for a team that's done spending for a guy like Puig is something you roll the dice on. 

Yeah he's not that All-Star from a couple years ago but he still has a managable OBP (.320), hits well with men in scoring (.324), and well in high leverage situations (.314). Plus he's still only 25 years old.

I get Puig is a tough sell to most of you especially since most of you spent time justifying the Murphy/Victorino/DeJesus trades or better yet Nava/Gentry platoon. Puig would finally fill a huge hole that's plagued the Angels for a couple seasons now.

I also think any deal involving Puig would have to involve Calhoun and we wouldn't be gaining anything with that trade off. However, if we could do a Santiago/Puig swap I'd be all for it!

I would rather get prospects for Hector instead of Puig. Too much risk and we can't afford to miss. And we need a SP coming back to replace Hector in any deal I make involving him. A three way with another team receiving Puig and us getting prospects makes more sense. I'd have some interest in Van Slyke.

Our trade resources are just so few to spend them on one risky player. I would rather take three risky prospects.

6 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

We'd have one of the best outfield defenses in baseball to go along with a big upgrade in offense. Puig can actually hit, unlike the dregs we've had in left field.

Puig has barely a .700 OPS this season. He has crashed dived since his rookie season in terms of hitting, probably due to his roid rage finally wearing off. He would be a mistake to waste resources on, the Dodger will probably DFA him by the season end unless he changes his career direction.

He's had injuries, yes, and there's a ton of potential, but he's also been coming back to earth more and more. Lots of declining trends. 

He'd be heads and shoulders over what we have now, I don't disagree there, but to replace what's been a black hole with question mark players with another question mark just feels like we'd be setting ourselves up for another disappointment. 

Theres numerous LF FA options this offseason who shouldn't cost much and should be able to put up a .700 OPS, which is where Puig is at now. 

Let's play it safe in LF for once. No head cases like Hamilton, no washed up vets like Victorino, no more crafty bargains like Nava. Use Hector for a SP and IF/OF prospect and maybe a lotto ticket arm.

8 minutes ago, nate said:

Puig can't hit and he is a headcase.

He's a headcase but he's also 25 years young and recovering from several injuries that have slowed him down. The odds are good of him getting well and putting up some of those great numbers of his first two seasons.

He also has a rocket of an arm, and when he's not an occasional head case out there, is a very good defender.

There's also the team-friendly contract. $8 million next year, $9 million in 2018.

There are positives here that outweigh the negatives, in my opinion.

Puig is worth looking into if you don't have to give up much. His trade value is pretty low at this point. But he's also young and under club control for a few more years so I'm sure some team can afford to give up more than he's worth. The Angels can't, unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Puig is worth looking into if you don't have to give up much. His trade value is pretty low at this point. But he's also young and under club control for a few more years so I'm sure some team can afford to give up more than he's worth. The Angels can't, unfortunately. 

Santiago fills a pressing need for the Dodgers as they look to catch the Giants in the NL West. They desperately need starting pitching. Hector is just the right piece.

3 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Santiago fills a pressing need for the Dodgers as they look to catch the Giants in the NL West. They desperately need starting pitching. Hector is just the right piece.

I'd rather keep Hector than trade him for Puig, honestly.