• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trade Deadline Thread

I didn't see a thread about this so thought I would start one.

- According to MLB Trade Rumors, BOS is looking for relief help with both Uehara and Kimbrel going on the DL.

- Rays have young SP Ordorizzi, Moore and Archer that they can offer contenders for "mini-bar" prices.  Steve Pearce, and particular set of skills, could be moved as well.

- Andrew Cashner is definitely a trade options for the floundering, cost-conscious Padres

- As Chuck mentioned in another thread, Mets are checking out Joe Smith

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/07/clay-buchholz-trade-rumor-redsox.html

Red Sox might also be a potential match for either Smith or Street if either of those two can start putting up zeros long enough.  

Would it be enough if the Angels get a A level prospect and the Red Sox take on the rest of Street's contract?  With Bedrosian starting to prove to be a reliable, and dominant, option from the pen, he's looking more and more like a future closer so I'd be down.

Good to hear that more teams are in the need of help at the deadline.  Confirms what many here have said..."it is a seller's market."

Should we trade Street for an "A" level prospect and pay his salary..."hell no."  Should we take advantage of the seller's market and get as much as possible, hell yes.

In fact, I cannot understand those on this board who want to hold onto what we have, for what? You need pitching to compete.  The winning streak is fools gold.  We are not going to compete this year or next because we don't have the pitching right now.  AND, the free agent pitching market is weak enough + we have no resources (minor league talent) to acquire pitching in the offseason.

Time to sell the likes of Smith, Street, Escobar, Simmons, Nava, Soto, Weaver, Santiago and Shoemaker.  While people are willing to pay a premium for a playoff push, let's maximize the assets we have and hope to turn that bunch into 5-6 premium AA level or higher talent starting pitchers and 2-3 A to AA high upside position players.  It really is the only we have a chance to field a more consistent team in 2017 and hopefully have a competitive team in 2018 with a healthy Heaney, Skaggs, Richards and Trop.

9 minutes ago, mram197 said:

Good to hear that more teams are in the need of help at the deadline.  Confirms what many here have said..."it is a seller's market."

Should we trade Street for an "A" level prospect and pay his salary..."hell no."  Should we take advantage of the seller's market and get as much as possible, hell yes.

In fact, I cannot understand those on this board who want to hold onto what we have, for what? You need pitching to compete.  The winning streak is fools gold.  We are not going to compete this year or next because we don't have the pitching right now.  AND, the free agent pitching market is weak enough + we have no resources (minor league talent) to acquire pitching in the offseason.

Time to sell the likes of Smith, Street, Escobar, Simmons, Nava, Soto, Weaver, Santiago and Shoemaker.  While people are willing to pay a premium for a playoff push, let's maximize the assets we have and hope to turn that bunch into 5-6 premium AA level or higher talent starting pitchers and 2-3 A to AA high upside position players.  It really is the only we have a chance to field a more consistent team in 2017 and hopefully have a competitive team in 2018 with a healthy Heaney, Skaggs, Richards and Trop.

That sounds good and everything ... but there's no guarantee that any of the above mentioned pitchers will be ready. 

Dodgers have some very nice prospects and are in dire straits for pitching.

Dodgers have a pitcher named Jose DeLeon in AAA that is young and talented that they may take a look at before going to the trade market though Urias is going to be sent to the BP to limit his innings.  Either way, a rotation of Kazmir, Maeda, McCarthy and "Random Pitchers" is going to be tough to win with against the Giants.

According to Heyman, the club could potentially consider dealing away some rather significant assets. He lists late-inning relievers Wade Davis and Kelvin Herrera, starter Edinson Volquez, and even center fielder Lorenzo Cain. It’s worth noting that Cain is on the DL, though he is likely nearing a return.

MLB trade rumors

5 hours ago, mram197 said:

Who do you think wiht trade for Nava or Weaver? Also, Soto has little value as he's been injured.

Unless Eppler is blown away with an offer for Shoemaker, I say keep him. In his last 11 starts he has a 2.36 ERA, striking out 10.38 batters per nine innings and walking only 1.06. He's probably not this good, but it is highly unlikely that he will go from this to a 5.00+ ERA again. To me he looks like he's found himself and is a legit #2-3 starter who is under club control for a few years. That's a very valuable commodity. Anything less than a top prospect should be refused.

I also don't see the Angels trading Simmons with his 4+ years of an affordable contract, unless they can get something similar to what they gave up - which is unlikely. So he probably stays.

That leaves Smith, Street, Escobar, and Santiago. I'd trade Smith for whatever you can get, dangle Street, Escobar, and Santiago, but only trade for good offers. Don't get desperate.

8 hours ago, mram197 said:

Nobody is trading an A level prospect for the likes of Huston Street even if the Halos picked up his salary.  He's not young, he's been injury prone throughout his career(including this season), and he's simply stunk this season.

Regarding that list, I think the only realistic trade possibilities at the deadline are Smith and Escobar. Simmons is not going anywhere IMO. He's part of their core group going forward for the next 4 years. Weaver, Nava, and Soto have no value whatsoever. Soto has been injured all year and is currently on the DL again and every single team in MLB has a multitude of Nava's littered in their minor leagues/MLB bench. I think they'll listen on Santiago and Shoemaker but in the end I don't see them dealing either and certainly not both of them. The pitcher injuries have ravaged this org's depth for the rest of this season and next, and with the FA market being utter trash when it comes to starters, they gotta keep what quality/proven production they do have just to be able to freakin fill out a rotation at this point

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

Profar, Lozaro and ??????

I'm assuming you mean Profar and Mazara.    

I doubt Texas would want to trade anyone off their current roster, unless it's someone like Rua or DeShields.  One NL scout recently said the Rangers have 16 legit prospects in their system.  To part with Sale the Chisox will probably ask for at least half of them.      

That's the thing about selling players off for prospects.....

Proffer has looked decent, but there are some underlying numbers that indicate he may be having some home cooked luck.  He may end up being nothing more than an Alexei Ramirez type.  Gallo is freakishly strong and pretty athletic for a big man.  But if a team wants halfway decent defense, he's limited to 1B and as a 1B, he might only end up bring Adam Dunn, which is valuable, but not a superstar.  Then there's Brinson, who's talent outweighs his numbers.  If that stays true, he may never be much more than a replacement level OF.

So would I trade Chris Sale for that package?  Yes, I think I still would, if they added a top tier pitching prospect. 

Profar still looks like an above average starting 2B or SS.  Not a star, but a useful player.  I think Gallo is going to be Chris Davis all over again.  It may not come together for a few years, but eventually he's going to delivery a high OBP and 40+ bombs.  I don't have as much faith in Brinson, but if you're wagering on talent alone, he could pay off big. 

anyone else sort of surprised at the relative lack of pre-deadline deals at this point?

There's traditionally a flurry of activity the week before the Aug, 1 trade deadline -- but in recent years there has also been significant pre-deadline 'early bird' deadline 'jumpers' who try to get in first and snag the

18 minutes ago, disarcina said:

anyone else sort of surprised at the relative lack of pre-deadline deals at this point?

There's traditionally a flurry of activity the week before the Aug, 1 trade deadline -- but in recent years there has also been significant pre-deadline 'early bird' deadline 'jumpers' who try to get in first and snag the

With a starting pitcher, it can mean you get an extra start or two if you strike early....

OK -- on the Fox Sports Net 1 game (SF Giants at NY Yankees) they have reported that the ChiSox have suddenly pulled Chris Sale from his scheduled start in tonight's game but that Sale IS NOT ILL -- which means he's probably being dealt somewhere.......any guesses??  LA Dodgers now that Kershaw may be out for the year??? SF Giants to stop the Dodgers from getting him???