• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trade Deadline Thread

30 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Biggest reason I hold onto Shoe is I'm convinced he at the very least won't lose any value. Even if he regresses a bit from this ridiculous stretch, it can be negated by him establishing himself as a legit major league starter, something that was in question last year and this spring.

The other reason is this team will still need another wave of talent in a year or two. Things change. Our needs have flip flopped in a few months time. A year ago we badly needed offense, and today our priority is starting pitching. 

Wait on Shoe, see which prospects step up this year and early next year, and look to refresh the farm accordingly with a massive Shoe trade at that time. If he keeps this up he could bring back an enormous, farm-altering haul.

Part of me agrees with Shoemaker but there are a couple of reasons to potentially disagree. One is that it's possible another team (or multiple teams) fully buy him as legitimate now and are willing to pay a premium cost. The second is that waiting on Shoemaker is an enormous risk. If he keeps this up until July 2017, then that would be the time to sell him. But if he reverts to April 2016 form he has no value, at all. It's possible that selling now would be selling earlier than the optimum time, but maybe that isn't a risk worth taking. Certainly it's a less clear cut case than Santiago, whose trade value will 100 per cent not be higher than it is now. He absolutely should be traded, along with Smith and Escobar.

1 minute ago, beatlesrule said:

Something occurred to me.  Maybe it's nothing but MLBTR says the O's have been looking for a LHSP for weeks now.  I wonder if they asked the Angels about Santiago at all.  Maybe they didn't want to give up whatever the Angels were asking.  Did anyone read anything about the O's and Angels at all?

The O's got Miley for a song.  Miranda isn't much of a return.  I would expect more for Santiago.  Personally, I think Hector is a better pitcher and he's owed less money.  

I am absolutely sure they talked though.  

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

The O's got Miley for a song.  Miranda isn't much of a return.  I would expect more for Santiago.  Personally, I think Hector is a better pitcher and he's owed less money.  

I am absolutely sure they talked though.  

Santiago is closer to Pomeranz than Miley. He wouldn't get a Pomeranz return, but he'd fetch way more than Miley did.

There is risk he will revert, for sure, but I take that gamble. I gamble in part because Matt was an undrafted FA and he is cheap. Even if he reverts and goes back to the April Matt, we got a lot out of that arm in '14 and this summer. An arm that wasn't expected to do anything. Our franchise is in need of a massive prospect haul to turn things around, something like that Teixeira to Braves deal. We aren't dealing Trout, and Shoe is probably the closest we have in the near future to attaining that sort of haul if he takes it to next level and keeps this going for a year.

It's a total risk, yes, but one worth taking. 

And of course, if someone makes a ridiculous offer now I pull the trigger. I mean if someone offers what I'd be hoping for in a year, of course, but I am not sure that offer will be made. Just depends if there's a team out there that really buys into it.

My two cents. If it backfires, well, hell. We missed out on a good trade but at least we got some innings out of him.

Just now, totdprods said:

There is risk he will revert, for sure, but I take that gamble. I gamble in part because Matt was an undrafted FA and he is cheap. Even if he reverts and goes back to the April Matt, we got a lot out of that arm in '14 and this summer. An arm that wasn't expected to do anything. Our franchise is in need of a massive prospect haul to turn things around, something like that Teixeira to Braves deal. We aren't dealing Trout, and Shoe is probably the closest we have in the near future to attaining that sort of haul if he takes it to next level and keeps this going for a year.

It's a total risk, yes, but one worth taking. 

And of course, if someone makes a ridiculous offer now I pull the trigger. I mean if someone offers what I'd be hoping for in a year, of course, but I am not sure that offer will be made. Just depends if there's a team out there that really buys into it.

My two cents. If it backfires, well, hell. We missed out on a good trade but at least we got some innings out of him.

I'm going to suggest, in an entirely speculative manner, that Shoemaker would be worth an average team's #2, #4 and #10 prospect if he were traded now. So a guy comfortably in the top 100, a guy either just in the top 100 or just outside it and a live arm or high upside but raw talent guy (Sam Miller from Baseball Prospectus ran a similar exercise the other day and guessed an average team's #2, #4, #12 and #20 so he's pretty close to what I think). If he does this for another year and we trade him in July 2017, I'd guess we get a #1, #3, #6 and maybe a #12. So there is a clear upside by waiting. But it's a potential really good haul we're risking by not trading him now. Given the state of our farm system, the fact Shoemaker was really bad not all that long ago and the fact at least the next 18 months of his club control looks set to be wasted on a really bad team - there is a huge argument to trade him. If my valuation (or Sam Miller's) is correct, I don't think that's a trade we can turn down.

If we got three prospects from a team's Top Ten, yeah, I'd make it, especially if there was one MLB ready SP and bat in there. Especially an OF.

Detroit could be an option too, and it's be Shoe's home turf. Joe Jimenez, Stewart, a top SP prospect, and maybe a 4th wild card would be really hard to turn down.

44 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

Santiago is closer to Pomeranz than Miley. He wouldn't get a Pomeranz return, but he'd fetch way more than Miley did.

Agree.  Santiago is intriguing to teams because most of the source of his issues are between his ears.  Something that I bet teams think they could fix.  

Pomeranz got a top 100 prospect.  Santiago is worth something close to that.  A borderline top 100 and another C-level guy.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

Agree.  Santiago is intriguing to teams because most of the source of his issues are between his ears.  Something that I bet teams think they could fix.  

Pomeranz got a top 100 prospect.  Santiago is worth something close to that.  A borderline top 100 and another C-level guy.  

I'd go slightly higher than borderline top 100, but I roughly agree with that. Another benefit for a team trading for him is he still has the potential to be a really good high leverage reliever, I think. That might be an option they could use in the playoffs or even in the regular season.

20 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Doesn't look like Street is going anywhere. He needs to get his confidence backc and figure something out quickly. 

This afternoon's outing was nothing short of catastrophic. If any team was giving any thought to acquiring him for the stretch run, that thought went over the wall in the top of the ninth.

3 hours ago, Lou said:

Of course it does 

So no one should ever trade cause you might face that team. Silly win the deal get the better end. If the Angels traded the Rangers a middle reliever for 4 prospects that are good why would I care they got a reliever the Angels won the deal. It was like someone saying well the Dodgers and Angels should trade because reasons. Who cares who you trade with as long as my team wins the trade 

I wouldn't trade shoemaker and don't really understand why others would. If this team hopes to be competitive in the very near future, you need some good pieces in place. A guy like shoemaker has the potential to be a very good pitcher for several years. The team will need guys like that on the roster, especially if they also hope to attract quality free agents.