• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trade Deadline Thread

2 minutes ago, Doug Van Oort Sr said:

Sports is all about playing hard and doing your best, if you lose the game you did not achieve your goal and that is to win. Yes, you can have the greatest season ever and lose in the world series, ask the players if they had a successful year. Most will tell you no, they did not reach the goal they set out to achieve, no one plays just to make it to the world series, except losers.

I wonder if Tom Brady feels good about that season losing the championship game. I'll go out on a limb and say that game eats at him 

1 minute ago, mtangelsfan said:

I wonder if KevinB knows what a false comparison is.

Someone posted bout going 18-0 and losing the final game and calling it a success of failure. Tom Brady who has won 4 SBs. Went 18 and 0 lost the super bowl. I'm confused by how that's a false comparison 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Am I the only one who thinks comparing how players feel and how fans feel after a season is silly?  For the player it's their livelihood or their legacy.  For us it's our hobby our break from reality.  

I thought we were talking about both. Fans want to win the championship and so do players. 

I'm sure he felt that game was a failure.  The season?  Himself?

Not so much, which is what we were discussing.  

Look, nobody is happy with what this season is giving us.  Nobody is happy looking at what it seems the near future of this team looks like.  But it doesn't mean I don't follow the team.  It doesn't mean I don't look at the box score everyday to see who played well and who didn't.  It doesn't mean I can't enjoy following the Angels.  If this concept were true, the Cubs would have been out of business 70 years ago.

2 minutes ago, Doug Van Oort Sr said:

I don't see him smiling when he walks off the field lately. You tell me how he feels

That's funny, there was a picture of him smiling a just last week during a game.  Hadn't even been decided if they won or not but it didn't stop him from enjoying playing baseball.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Yes but as a fan it isn't a wasted season if they don't win it all.  

Where is it written anywhere on here that says your not allowed to enjoy the games because it's your favorite team sport or player. It's sports it's meant to be enjoyed. You learn something new and you have fun doing so. That being said at the end of the year if your team isn't the one holding the trophy then you want them to win it next year. At least for me I don't watch a game saying man I hope my team

loses what fun is that? As a player if you don't win it all as much of a personal success you might have had on the field if you aren't the winners at the end of the day you come back the next year striving to win it next year. Isn't that the fun in sports is cause anyone can win it all at the beginning of the year. 

5 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

I'm sure he felt that game was a failure.  The season?  Himself?

Not so much, which is what we were discussing.  

Look, nobody is happy with what this season is giving us.  Nobody is happy looking at what it seems the near future of this team looks like.  But it doesn't mean I don't follow the team.  It doesn't mean I don't look at the box score everyday to see who played well and who didn't.  It doesn't mean I can't enjoy following the Angels.  If this concept were true, the Cubs would have been out of business 70 years ago.

Being enjoyed and being successful are two different things. As much as this seasons been crap doesn't mean I don't enjoy some aspects of it. It's sports it's meant to be enjoyed 

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Am I the only one who thinks comparing how players feel and how fans feel after a season is silly?  For the player it's their livelihood or their legacy.  For us it's our hobby our break from reality.  

Trout got a well deserved team carrying $10M raise this season. I think he's smiling win or lose. I think Trout is happy by nature.

2 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

That's where we disagree. What would you consider a successful season? Would you consider this year for the Angels a successful season?

no.  but does that mean none of the teams are having a successful season?  none of them have won a championship as of yet right?

Just now, Dochalo said:

no.  but does that mean none of the teams are having a successful season?  none of them have won a championship as of yet right?

Why can't it be good so far seasons not over yet. You don't know what the season may bring. You could say Texas is having a successful year but what happens if they go tank status in September and miss the playoffs would it be successful then? Individuals can have success with their numbers. Baseball is the most individual out of all the team sports but the team having successful year starts with winning their division and then individual playoff series and finally the WS. If you make it to the WS and lose as a fan or player would you be happy or sad about that. Would you call it a successful year or not? If the Angels lost in 2002 would we all be super stoked about how awesome that year was or ehh about man wish the Angels would have won that one 

5 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

That's where we disagree. What would you consider a successful season? Would you consider this year for the Angels a successful season?

Of course this isn't a succesful season.  Two years ago KC, who was lousy for 30 years got to the World Series and lost, that was a succesful season.  Last year Houston, who had been awful made it to the playoffs, that was a succesful season.  Another type of succesful season would be something like this.  In 2019 the Angels call up Jones, and Thais and they develop into everyday major league players.  That in my mind would be a succesful season.  Watching what we are watching right now, is painful because we don't have any prospects.  I will say I am enjoying watching Shoe, Cam and Trout.  Bandy is intriguing and could become an everyday catcher.  Simmons is ridiculous on defense and has been great with the bat lately.  

13 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

why don't you start a new thread for this topic. this thread is about the trade deadline, and you have wandered fr, far away from that topic.

Just now, Stradling said:

Of course this isn't a succesful season.  Two years ago KC, who was lousy for 30 years got to the World Series and lost, that was a succesful season.  Last year Houston, who had been awful made it to the playoffs, that was a succesful season.  Another type of succesful season would be something like this.  In 2019 the Angels call up Jones, and Thais and they develop into everyday major league players.  That in my mind would be a succesful season.  Watching what we are watching right now, is painful because we don't have any prospects.  I will say I am enjoying watching Shoe, Cam and Trout.  Bandy is intriguing and could become an everyday catcher.  Simmons is ridiculous on defense and has been great with the bat lately.  

I agree watching young players develop is fun but I wouldn't call watching them develop if the team is in 4th place a successful team season. Maybe successful for their careers and saying this is what the Angels will have in their future which is  something to build towards. Every year every teams fan base thinks this is the year for us to win and thats what makes sports so much fun to watch. 

The teams not going to win it all every year and you can have minor successes to hold your hat on. But at the end of the year what these players are playing for is to win it all and be the last team standing at the end. 

Sure the Royals lost the WS could be a minor success as a franchise knowing they were getting better but was it the success that they had when they won it last year?

6 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Why can't it be good so far seasons not over yet. You don't know what the season may bring. You could say Texas is having a successful year but what happens if they go tank status in September and miss the playoffs would it be successful then? Individuals can have success with their numbers. Baseball is the most individual out of all the team sports but the team having successful year starts with winning their division and then individual playoff series and finally the WS. If you make it to the WS and lose as a fan or player would you be happy or sad about that. Would you call it a successful year or not? If the Angels lost in 2002 would we all be super stoked about how awesome that year was or ehh about man wish the Angels would have won that one 

was last year a successful season for the mets or cubs?

I consider our 2014 season to be successful.  

that doesn't change the goal.  You can not fail while still having some level of disappointment with the outcome.  

6 minutes ago, Tank said:

why don't you start a new thread for this topic. this thread is about the trade deadline, and you have wandered fr, far away from that topic.

This exactly....

I know its in the board's DNA (finally got to use it!  I'm just like Eppler!) to digress mightily form the original topic but philosophical waxing on the nature of fans expectations, what is a "true fan", what is a "true" champion, what is a "true" winner, etc will lead to so much mental masturbation it will need to be transferred to the Gentlemen's Forum.

Please post responsibly