• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trade Deadline Thread

1 hour ago, CALZONE said:

What's wrong with rebuilding? Are we afraid to suck for 3-5 years? Are we running out of time? What's the rush? The same month that Arte hired Jerry Dipoto the Cubs hired Theo Epstein. You can see that he has completely rebuilt the team. He cleaned house. They were 61-101 in 2011 and that team is long gone. If we want to build a "sustainable winner" then we need to start the construction phase. Retooling is just adding new poster in front of the stadium next to the old tools. 

After this season.  Trout has 4 years remaining on his contract.  Superstars go to other teams usually for two things.  Money and to Win.  And since Trout has been on the Angels, we have not been winning.  And as this season proves, money may not be at the top end either.  This is his sixth season with the Angels and so far we have 1 playoff experience, losing all 4 games to show for it.  If you suck and rebuild for the rest of his contract, that will be 10 seasons.  Odds are, he won't stick around for a 11th.

6 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

If there is a plan in place then I think people would understand. Right now it doesn't seem like there is any plan in place. They had money this offseason to sign a left fielder and decided to go the cheap route. Trade off a pitching asset for a SS and then pretty much went dumpster diving. I am not sure Eppler has full reigns to do what he wants or that he knows what he wants to do. I guess we will see what happens in the next couple years but in 2 more years if the Angels don't make the playoffs and Eppler will be gone and it will be someone other than him in control. 

There is a plan in place ... it's been well publicized. 

btw trading a pitching asset for the best defensive SS in the business for five years was part of the rebuilding plan. 

Just now, Kevinb said:

Who the hell said trade Trout in anything I just wrote. 

so sell off everything else and expect that it will be enough to be good again before he leaves?  I just don't think that's feasible.  I see us having a much better chance of winning in 2019 and 2020 if we still have Simmons, Calhoun, Shoe, Cron and getting back Heaney, Richards, and Trop.  

2 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

After this season.  Trout has 4 years remaining on his contract.  Superstars go to other teams usually for two things.  Money and to Win.  And since Trout has been on the Angels, we have not been winning.  And as this season proves, money may not be at the top end either.  This is his sixth season with the Angels and so far we have 1 playoff experience, losing all 4 games to show for it.  If you suck and rebuild for the rest of his contract, that will be 10 seasons.  Odds are, he won't stick around for a 11th.

So in that aspect he might not stick around anyway. We have been to the playoffs once in 6 years and if we don't make the playoffs next year that will add another. Making the playoffs even if we make it 2 out of the last 3 times in Trouts time here that would be 3 out of 10 years being here. You think he will stay? 

2 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

There is a plan in place ... it's been well publicized. 

btw trading a pitching asset for the best defensive SS in the business for five years was part of the rebuilding plan. 

Whats the plan in place thats been well publicized please tell me ?

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

so sell off everything else and expect that it will be enough to be good again before he leaves?  I just don't think that's feasible.  I see us having a much better chance of winning in 2019 and 2020 if we still have Simmons, Calhoun, Shoe, Cron and getting back Heaney, Richards, and Trop.  

I didn't say trade off everything I said we will never know. I just told you what teams did sell off everything and got better in 3-5 years. I don't care what the Angels do. Its not like I will be buying tickets to go to the Angels games anytime soon. They have been fucking with the fans for a while now I had season tickets for 10 plus years and stopped two years ago because of how they were treating season ticket holders and what was going on. So the Angels can do what they want to do. Arte is the one in charge and Arte has tanked being in charge I hope Eppler gets to have the control so we can see what he is capable of and that he can turn this franchise around. 

Just now, Kevinb said:

So in that aspect he might not stick around anyway. We have been to the playoffs once in 6 years and if we don't make the playoffs next year that will add another. Making the playoffs even if we make it 2 out of the last 3 times in Trouts time here that would be 3 out of 10 years being here. You think he will stay? 

If we put ourselves in a position to be in the playoffs for 2019 and 2020 then it means some things went right and we are on the upswing again.  I think that would give us a great chance to extend him.  Why would he care about what he team did before that, and how would that even matter anymore.  

'It looks like the team is currently a playoff contender with me in the mix, but since we didn't make the playoffs enough in 2011-2017, I don't think I can stick around'  

Just now, Dochalo said:

If we put ourselves in a position to be in the playoffs for 2019 and 2020 then it means some things went right and we are on the upswing again.  I think that would give us a great chance to extend him.  Why would he care about what he team did before that, and how would that even matter anymore.  

'It looks like the team is currently a playoff contender with me in the mix, but since we didn't make the playoffs enough in 2011-2017, I don't think I can stick around'  

That wasn't me saying it @gotbeer was the one who said that. I was just asking his logic on it. I don't think us making the playoffs while he was here on his first contracts will make the difference in where he will sign long term when he is a free agent. I think money and talent on the team and ability to spend will be a huge priority for Trout when he signs as a free agent where ever he signs. He will be a free agent though there is about 0% chance he signs an extension while still under contract and more than likely there will be an opt out clause like all these other free agents probably after 2 or 3 years. 

33 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Those teams didn't have Mike Trout.  Even though you may not like the idea of creating a window for one player, it has to be acknowledged and accouted for.  Those teams were horrendous for an exteded period prior to their resurgence.  The comparison is not apples to apples.  

See there it is. The organization is going to scramble as quickly as possible to make sure that we put together a competitive team in fear of losing Mike Trout. In 2012 we were building a team around Pujols and we didn't want to waste the Weaver years. Mike Trout will stay if he wants to stay or he will leave if he wants to leave. The Angels can't control that. If they wanted to build a team around Trout they should've started that 5 years ago. Scrambling now will only force more bad decisions. I think Trout would enjoy being around a bunch of new young talented prospects knowing that the future is bright. Furthermore nothing (except a major injury) is going to prevent Mike Trout from becoming a free agent. He will test the market because this will be biggest thing he's ever done in his life. He's worked for it, let him enjoy it.

6 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

See there it is. The organization is going to scramble as quickly as possible to make sure that we put together a competitive team in fear of losing Mike Trout. In 2012 we were building a team around Pujols and we didn't want to waste the Weaver years. Mike Trout will stay if he wants to stay or he will leave if he wants to leave. The Angels can't control that. If they wanted to build a team around Trout they should've started that 5 years ago. Scrambling now will only force more bad decisions. I think Trout would enjoy being around a bunch of new young talented prospects knowing that the future is bright. Furthermore nothing (except a major injury) is going to prevent Mike Trout from becoming a free agent. He will test the market because this will be biggest thing he's ever done in his life. He's worked for it, let him enjoy it.

The problem is most these "older" Angels fans got "their" World Series championship and now are just obsessed with this notion of having an Angels player with an Angels hat in the hall of fame. 

34 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

We’re not like the other people," Landis said Saturday. "We feel that Mike is going to do well. We feel that is a nice length. We like the length of this deal. We feel that this keeps our options open down the road, and it gives Mike what we think for him is still lifetime security."

Mike Trouts agent.....

44 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

The problem is most these "older" Angels fans got "their" World Series championship and now are just obsessed with this notion of having an Angels player with an Angels hat in the hall of fame. 

Well I'm all about playoffs and championships. I could give a hoot about the HOF. If if means we have to trade Trout to win a championship I'd be fine with it. Chances are that he will probably leave on his own accord anyway. He's an east coast guy with a soon to be east coast wifey with lots of family and friends on the east coast. He has a personal decision to make when the time comes. The Angels can't do anything to prevent that. I'm pretty sure that at that time one of the AL East teams will be in a good enough position organizationally to lure him over. Red Sox (the Green Monster) Yankees (Stadium, tradition and Monument Park) Orioles (he would rake in that stadium).

1 hour ago, Kevinb said:

Whats the plan in place thats been well publicized please tell me ?

You know the plan ... I don't need to spell it out for you. You've read everything coming from the FO. 

Btw I also was a season ticket holder for 10 years. Big frickin deal ... sounds like you have buyers remorse . They treated me just fine. 

20 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

You know the plan ... I don't need to spell it out for you. You've read everything coming from the FO. 

Btw I also was a season ticket holder for 10 years. Big frickin deal ... sounds like you have buyers remorse . They treated me just fine. 

Actually no buyers remorse and I don't know the plan and it sounds like u don't either. Other wise you said it was well publicized. What is well publicized the fact he said the Dna of the Angels was to not tank? Cause other than that I don't know what the Angels plan is

11 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Actually no buyers remorse and I don't know the plan and it sounds like u don't either. Other wise you said it was well publicized. What is well publicized the fact he said the Dna of the Angels was to not tank? Cause other than that I don't know what the Angels plan is

Google Billy Eppler plan

1 hour ago, mtangelsfan said:

Please, the Cubs were crappy for years.  Not only that by the time Theo took over they already had a very good farm system.  They didn't have to start from scratch.

Are we forgetting that the Cubs haven't won a WS since 1908?  Many on here believe if you don't win the WS your season was unsuccessful  (albeit I disagree with that philosophy)

Just now, stormngt said:

Are we forgetting that the Cubs haven't won a WS since 1908?  Many on here believe if you don't win the WS your season was unsuccessful  (albeit I disagree with that philosophy)

It is unsuccessful. It can be a sign of the right direction but if u play for a WS Victory anything short is a failure. U either win or you failed as a team. 

20 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I agree

The reality is that Arte is not going to go over the threshold to fix this team. That plan rarely works anyways because most high dollar free agents are signed after a solid contract year and then they begin to fade away. I think Arte finally figured that out. He's getting the best years win or lose out of Trout at a decent cost right now. 

1 hour ago, Kevinb said:

I love watching Trout play, in fact it's the only the only reason to watch Angels games this year. I don't want to watch him waist his time for the next 4 years on a team that rebuilding. If this team has no intentions of contending  for the next 3 years do him a favor and trade him, rebuild the farm system and let the long rebuilding process begin.