• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trade Deadline Thread

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Hey Ray, welcome to AngelsWin.  I disagree with everything you wrote and you wrote a lot.  Curses don't exist and apparently in your world personal accountability don't exist.  You found us which is great, but you will have to bring more to the table than this, especially in the accuracy department.  

Careful, Stradling, you may be accused of... 

(Puts on sunglasses)

Walking on sunshine 

(Roger Daltrey Screams!)

14 hours ago, Oz27 said:

His irregular playing time this year is because guys like Moreland and Andrus are getting starts ahead of him.

If Andrus and Gallo played for the Angels they would be viewed here as the second coming Ruth and Mantle. Profar is having a big year even though the Rangers are messing with his development and Gallo has smashed his way through the minor leagues. Both are still very young. They're criminally underrated around here and it is only because of who they play for. There is no logical explanation for it.

Big year?   His neutral park OPS is .592.     His "big year" is a byrproduct of playing his home games in TBIA, a total of 59 at bats where he's put up an OPS over 1.000.   If this were CJ Cron people were talking about you'd be quick to look at those away numbers and declare the OPS overall a mirage.  I like Profar, if he were in the Angels system he'd be their top prospect...  What's more I believe he's doing an amazing job considering he missed two years of development time with injuries but you are massively overstating how good his season has been.

And you know damn well if Gallo had been in the Angels system and come up only to hit the way he has most everyone would have already labeled him a bust and dubbed him Brandon Wood redux...   Remember how many people wrote off Cam Bedrosian after 50 innings?  Or how about last year when Heaney was a bust because his ERA in SLC was over 4.50.   Thats par for the course, heck -- Randal Grichuk was supposedly done forever after his struggles this season.  Last I checked, he's put up an OPS over .925 in the 50 at bats since he's been recalled.

You can call people here homers all you want - but you're lying to yourself if you don't think the Wood comps wouldn't come fast and furious.  A better argument to make is that a lot of people are just bad at projecting minor league numbers and to be fair, that's true of most people including many who get paid to write about prospects.

11 hours ago, Stradling said:

Hey Ray, welcome to AngelsWin.  I disagree with everything you wrote and you wrote a lot.  Curses don't exist and apparently in your world personal accountability don't exist.  You found us which is great, but you will have to bring more to the table than this, especially in the accuracy department.  

Less about disagreeing for me and more about being factually incorrect..    

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Big year?   His neutral park OPS is .592.     His "big year" is a byrproduct of playing his home games in TBIA, a total of 59 at bats where he's put up an OPS over 1.000.   If this were CJ Cron people were talking about you'd be quick to look at those away numbers and declare the OPS overall a mirage.  I like Profar, if he were in the Angels system he'd be their top prospect...  What's more I believe he's doing an amazing job considering he missed two years of development time with injuries but you are massively overstating how good his season has been.

And you know damn well if Gallo had been in the Angels system and come up only to hit the way he has most everyone would have already labeled him a bust and dubbed him Brandon Wood redux...   Remember how many people wrote off Cam Bedrosian after 50 innings?  Or how about last year when Heaney was a bust because his ERA in SLC was over 4.50.   Thats par for the course, heck -- Randal Grichuk was supposedly done forever after his struggles this season.  Last I checked, he's put up an OPS over .925 in the 50 at bats since he's been recalled.

You can call people here homers all you want - but you're lying to yourself if you don't think the Wood comps wouldn't come fast and furious.  A better argument to make is that a lot of people are just bad at projecting minor league numbers and to be fair, that's true of most people including many who get paid to write about prospects.

I agree the Wood comparisons would come but it would be silly. There were all sorts of silly things said about Trout when he first came up and didn't hit the cover off the ball in the first five seconds (I remember his first week up in 2012 was pretty 'meh' and then he went crazy) but they obviously weren't the majority. I think the statement that Profar and Gallo (and any other team's young player) would be more highly rated by this forum if they played for the Angels is a mere statement of the obvious, to be honest. And yes, I do agree that prospect projecting is a really, really hard business. Sometimes players get to the bigs and stink for reasons that seemed afterwards like they should have been obvious (see Brandon Wood). Sometimes guys just never develop like it seemed reasonable to expect (someone like Hank Conger is a good example here).

You're probably right that I overstated how good Profar's season has been. He's still a 23-year-old middle infielder putting up league average offense despite getting shafted by irregular playing time and having to move all over the field. Someone who can do that after two years ruined by injury is pretty damn impressive in my eyes.

Henry Schulman is reporting the Giants potentially have interest in Huston Street: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/07/bullpen-rumors-street-giants-cashner-brewers-nationals-robertson-rosenthal.html

Angelswin.com also talked about Street as a secondary or tertiary option for San Francisco if they didn't get Chapman in the Trade Candidate series:

Aren't the Angels just a few million over cap? Unless they know for certain that they won't exceed the cap in 2017, it makes sense to get under the cap this year simply to avoid having that strike on them. So moving some guys could make sense purely from a tax standpoint, regardless of whether the savings may be inconsequential.

27 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Aren't the Angels just a few million over cap? Unless they know for certain that they won't exceed the cap in 2017, it makes sense to get under the cap this year simply to avoid having that strike on them. So moving some guys could make sense purely from a tax standpoint, regardless of whether the savings may be inconsequential.

Yep. This is an absolute must.