• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trade Deadline Thread

Just now, Doug Van Oort Sr said:

I love watching Trout play, in fact it's the only the only reason to watch Angels games this year. I don't want to watch him waist his time for the next 4 years on a team that rebuilding. If this team has no intentions of contending  for the next 3 years do him a favor and trade him, rebuild the farm system and let the long rebuilding process begin. 

They did him a favor by signing him to a huge contract they have no other obligation to him

8 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

It is unsuccessful. It can be a sign of the right direction but if u play for a WS Victory anything short is a failure. U either win or you failed as a team. 

I disagree with that philosophy.  There can be more than one team that is successful.  I am curious.  Do you feel that your life is a failure because you are not at the top of your profession?

4 minutes ago, Doug Van Oort Sr said:

I love watching Trout play, in fact it's the only the only reason to watch Angels games this year. I don't want to watch him waist his time for the next 4 years on a team that rebuilding. If this team has no intentions of contending  for the next 3 years do him a favor and trade him, rebuild the farm system and let the long rebuilding process begin. 

If Vegas had odds on whether or not Trout would leave the Angels I would put my money on yes. At the end of the day it's a business. I like Trout but not if he's going to command $50M per year and only leave about $110M-$130M to build around him. Let some other team get suckered into that. 

5 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I disagree with that philosophy.  There can be more than one team that is successful.  I am curious.  Do you feel that your life is a failure because you are not at the top of your profession?

One life and work is different than sports. Two u have no idea who I am or what I do so id back off questioning my annual income. And third in sports my team is currently 3rd and yes if we don't win then it's a failure doesn't mean it wasn't fun or we didn't learn. 4th sports is about winning if u play to place then gtfo of the game 

1 hour ago, Kevinb said:

The problem is most these "older" Angels fans got "their" World Series championship and now are just obsessed with this notion of having an Angels player with an Angels hat in the hall of fame. 

I could care less about having an Angel hat in the HOF. I waited 38 years for the Angels to win a world series and I would like to see another before I die. Getting into the HOF is an individual achievement, and I think Trout will take care of that.

On 7/24/2016 at 8:48 AM, Ray of Sunshine said:

Hi! I am a new member. I want to share an off-the-wall thought that my buddies and I have been discussing for quite a while now. Do you remember the "Curse of the Bambino" and other, similar "curses" of baseball lore? Well, I firmly believe that ever since Arte Moreno added the ludicrous "Los Angeles" name to OUR Angels he cursed our beloved Angels. Further, I do not believe we can ever win another world championship unless that foreign city name is removed. The "Angels Arte Curse" will prevent same. Let me share a few facts that may solidify my point of view. In no particular order.....Mike Napoli was an OK Angel player; a great player once traded. Scott Kazmir and Greinke are quality starting pitchers before & after their stint with the Angels. Garrett Richards has had two serious injuries, Todd Adenhardt was unfortunately killed, Tyler Skaggs has serious arm problems, Albert Pujols keeps injuring his legs, & Josh Hamilton was a bust until he returned to the Rangers again. Howie Kendrick was good, but is now great batting cleanup for the Dodgers. Weaver is suddenly no longer able to pitch, as hitters wait for his 68 MPH "slow curve" to homer and this season we've had 12 guys on the DL at one time. Huston Street is a quality reliever that has now been injured and shows signs of the "Angels Arte Curse" too. Poor Shoemaker is really bearing the brundt of the curse, as he pitches great most everytime but the curse prevents him from many wins. I am certain I could go on and on, but you get the point. I doubt that our beloved ANAHEIM Angels will ever win again until the "Los Angeles" stigma is removed from our team name. The "Angels Arte Curse" will prevent it!

10 bucks this guy is white and a Trump supporter.

29 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Are we forgetting that the Cubs haven't won a WS since 1908?  Many on here believe if you don't win the WS your season was unsuccessful  (albeit I disagree with that philosophy)

Sounds like you come from the everybody gets a trophy generation.  You play sports to win championships, at the end of the year there is only one team that reached their goal. 

Just now, Troll Daddy said:

The good news is ... that guys like you are just spitting into the wind.

It's not a bad thing .., everyone needs to have a take. It does make things interesting around here. 

So I take it you don't know just trolling as usual. If u wanna troll in person I know a good place to. 

7 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Have a problem with white peoples? 

Yes, white people are the worst. :P

Back when the name change first happened, some of the most vocal opponents had some not-so-nice things to say about Hispanics and poor people, and similar sentiments ("foreign city name," etc.) as our new AW friend.

You play sports to win championships. If you only watch to win then you are going to be miserable. 

The Angels haven't won the WS in the past 14 seasons, which sucks but it hasn't taken away my enjoyment of watching the team. The end result doesn't take away a good, exciting season.

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

You play sports to win championships. If you only watch to win then you are going to be miserable. 

The Angels haven't won the WS in the past 14 seasons, which sucks but it hasn't taken away my enjoyment of watching the team. The end result doesn't take away a good, exciting season.

Having enjoyment is fine but if u think the players are there to just place and not win that's not the environment you want you want a team filled with people who want to win it all. Not people who are satisfied with runner up or missing the playoffs altogether. A season that you don't win doesn't mean you can't learn from it or enjoy it and have fun. Just means it wasn't a success. 

9 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Be truthful.....do you think it's an exciting season or losing is secondary because we have Trout and he's exciting.

32 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

One life and work is different than sports. Two u have no idea who I am or what I do so id back off questioning my annual income. And third in sports my team is currently 3rd and yes if we don't win then it's a failure doesn't mean it wasn't fun or we didn't learn. 4th sports is about winning if u play to place then gtfo of the game 

Unless you are the top of your profession you are unsuccessful.  That by your definition not mine.  And I beg to differ there reply isn't much different in the professional world.  We compete .

A lot of hall of fame coaches won not by preaching winning but preaching work ethic and commitment.  My mentor as a coach never talked about winning.  He kept talking about being the hardest working team in the nation and the hardest playing team in the nation.  

My philosophy of success on over achievement.   Does the team do better than expectations.

28 minutes ago, Doug Van Oort Sr said:

Sounds like you come from the everybody gets a trophy generation.  You play sports to win championships, at the end of the year there is only one team that reached their goal. 

What a dumb ass statement!  

Let me ask you if a team goes undefeated the entire season but gets upset the final game are they losers?

BTW I have 19 years experience coaching and scouting college and professional basketball.  So get off the "everybody" deselves a trophy bullshit 

7 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Lol. Keyboard warrior. 

Dude, twice in this thread you've brought up people meeting to fight it out.  Grow the fuck up.  

The last time Claude and I met, guess what we were grown ups, he introduced me to his son, he met my wife and family, and we had a pleasant evening of watching a cat jump to his death and watching Joe Smith lose a game for us against the Orioles.  

58 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

They did him a favor by signing him to a huge contract they have no other obligation to him

Not saying they have an obligation to him, if they are not going to contend for 3 or 4 years, trade him, rebuild the farm system, and yes you would be doing him a favor also.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Dude, twice in this thread you've brought up people meeting to fight it out.  Grow the fuck up.  

The last time Claude and I met, guess what we were grown ups, he introduced me to his son, he met my wife and family, and we had a pleasant evening of watching a cat jump to his death and watching Joe Smith lose a game for us against the Orioles.  

This is true. That cat commited suiside knowing that Smith was going to blow the save. 

15 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Be truthful.....do you think it's an exciting season or losing is secondary because we have Trout and he's exciting.

I like watching baseball and while I get upset and vent like everyone else, I get enjoyment out of the game win or lose. And yes, Trout makes losing more exciting. This current team without him would be literally unwatchable.

There is far more to enjoying a game than just the end result. Though obviously winning is far better than losing.

1 hour ago, CALZONE said:

See there it is. The organization is going to scramble as quickly as possible to make sure that we put together a competitive team in fear of losing Mike Trout. In 2012 we were building a team around Pujols and we didn't want to waste the Weaver years. Mike Trout will stay if he wants to stay or he will leave if he wants to leave. The Angels can't control that. If they wanted to build a team around Trout they should've started that 5 years ago. Scrambling now will only force more bad decisions. I think Trout would enjoy being around a bunch of new young talented prospects knowing that the future is bright. Furthermore nothing (except a major injury) is going to prevent Mike Trout from becoming a free agent. He will test the market because this will be biggest thing he's ever done in his life. He's worked for it, let him enjoy it.

if the Angels are going to win at any given point, then having Trout helps you more than having what you could get for him in trade.  Not taking advantage of having him is criminal.  Hence my disappointment with the most recent offseason.  In light of our injuries, maybe we dodged a bullet, but I have a hard time believing that a rotation of Richards, Heaney, Wilson, Shoe, Trop, and others as well as a legit LFer, a solid pen arm, and one of zobrist or murphy wouldn't have put us right in the mix of being in playoff contention.  

By sheer happenstance, the decision to not spend in the FA market has worked out yet the investment of org currency in Simmons now seems like a couple of his years will be wasted.  

So then it begs the questions of when and how we become playoff ready again.  Is a healthy 2018/19 rotation of the above sans Wilson yet with Skaggs along with our offense minus Escobar enough?  Not a chance.  

But by 2019, can we extend Richards and maybe Calhoun?  

Can we finally add a legit LFer?  

Can we replace Escobar at 3b?  

Can we add a SP or two if a couple of the aforementioned don't work out?

Can we bolster the bullpen with a couple of arms?  

Can we get an upgrade at 2b?  

Will Pujols still be able to walk?  

Will Cron continue to develop?  

Will we get anything from the farm system during that time?  

If the answer to most of those questions is yes, then we are a playoff conteder.  Frankly, I think it is.  

there will be better OF free agents after the 2017 season.  

We got Escobar for an up and coming reliever (a move I didn't like) and that has worked out greatly in our favor.  why can't we do that again?

There will be some farm help for the rotation and pen by 2018/19.  Maybe not an ace, but certainly legit major league help.   Plus, there are always mid level arms available for the back of the rotation depth on 1yr deals.  There will also be FA pen help available.

There was solid value on the FA market for 2b this year.  There will likely be opportunities in the future.

Even if Pujols can't produce, we can find a DH

Cron is only going to get better in my opinion.  At worst, he is what he is right now. 

There is help coming from the farm.  Maybe not a batch of elite players that you'd build around, but there is more than people think and it will continue to get better.  

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

I like watching baseball and while I get upset and vent like everyone else, I get enjoyment out of the game win or lose. And yes, Trout makes losing more exciting. This current team without him would be literally unwatchable.

There is far more to enjoying a game than just the end result. Though obviously winning is far better than losing.

Great post. 

2 minutes ago, Doug Van Oort Sr said:

Not saying they have an obligation to him, if they are not going to contend for 3 or 4 years, trade him, rebuild the farm system, and yes you would be doing him a favor also.  

We are three years away from having to decide whether or not to consider trading Trout.  I see ZERO reason to consider it right now.  If we are on the verge of being a playoff team in three years offer him the largest contract in the history of the game prior to free agency.  

I actually do care about the Hall of Fame.  Nolan should have gone in as an Angel.  Vlad might go in as an Angel, but Trout if he plays his best ten years here will more than likely go in as an Angel.