• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trade Deadline Thread

I asked this question in the mlbtr chat for what it's worth.

Matt Shoemaker
4:10
Come on. I'm not going anywhere. Scioscia loves me.
Steve Adams
4:11
If the Angels can get a near-MLB-ready arm and a couple of other pieces for Shoemaker based on his recent run, they should absolutely be willing to move him. That farm is terrible and next year is looking murky already with or without him thanks to the TJ outbreak in Anaheim.

So there is a non bias view on Shoe's worth.

19 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

I asked this question in the mlbtr chat for what it's worth.

Matt Shoemaker
4:10
Come on. I'm not going anywhere. Scioscia loves me.
Steve Adams
4:11
If the Angels can get a near-MLB-ready arm and a couple of other pieces for Shoemaker based on his recent run, they should absolutely be willing to move him. That farm is terrible and next year is looking murky already with or without him thanks to the TJ outbreak in Anaheim.

So there is a non bias view on Shoe's worth.

If you're dead set on trading Shoe now is the time, but I would keep him because good pitching is valuable and hard to come. We have him locked up for years, and for cheap. You might get lucky with a prospect pitcher but you might not. Chances are you won't. A bird in the hand and all...

Latest this morning:

- Orioles "trying hard" to land Cashner.  They have two solid starters and a bunch of moving parts so they are looking for answers in the rotation.

- Royals trying their best to package Ian Kennedy with any trades for Wade Davis. Kennedy has been getting shelled and Royals "wallets" puckered at the thoughts of watching this guy over the next few seasons.

19 hours ago, Ace_Shoemaker? said:

I would keep our 3 top pitchers, that are still healthy: Shoemaker, Santiago, and Skaggs. (the 3 S's). Replacing them is expensive and a crap shoot.

Not to mention they are probably are only three healthy SPs...     I know Weaver isn't hurt -- but his arm died years ago.

Angels GM Billy Eppler will at least listen to offers on both Hector Santiago and Matt Shoemaker, though each is controllable beyond this season (Shoemaker for another four years, Santiago through 2017), so there’s no definitive urge to move either. Yunel Escobar and Joe Smith are both trade candidates for the Halos as well, as has been noted frequently over the past couple of weeks.

7 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:
  • Angels GM Billy Eppler will at least listen to offers on both Hector Santiagoand Matt Shoemaker, though each is controllable beyond this season (Shoemaker for another four years, Santiago through 2017), so there’s no definitive urge to move either. Yunel Escobar and Joe Smith are both trade candidates for the Halos as well, as has been noted frequently over the past couple of weeks.

also from mlbtraderumors and heyman:

• The Cubs and Rangers have both called the Mariners about Taijuan Walkerand James Paxton, but Seattle hasn’t shown any inclination toward moving either pitcher. Wade Miley is more likely to be moved, and Heyman adds that the Mariners are still open to adding some pieces for 2016 and have checked intoAngels righty Joe Smith, whom GM Jerry Dipoto signed while serving as GM in Anaheim.

4 hours ago, Dick B Back said:

Puckering Royals... don't we just feel sorry for them.

To be honest I wish they were still in contention because they would have made an excellent trade partner for us as they needed a 3B, LHP, and relief help which was the bulk of what we were selling. But yeah they won last year so they can suck it too.

I asked this question today in the chat:

Matt Shoemaker
3:31
Can't like 6 teams that have the pieces to get me use me in their rotation? What's the holdup?
Jeffrey Todd
3:32
Of course, but why are the Halos dealing controllable pitching? They have a tough road ahead, but this is a team with Mike Trout. Can't go parting with reasonably-priced, talented arms.

I'm assuming it's most people's argument for keeping him. I think it just proves that they will be able to get a very good haul for him. Thus giving the Angels a better future.

Edit*** I replied to him and he actually responded:

Matt Shoemaker
3:44
Because the Angels farm system is a joke and the team has too many overpaid vets. Taking advantage of a seller's market could drastically improve their future.
Jeffrey Todd
3:45
If they got a truly outstanding offer, then sure. I'm not saying they shouldn't be willing to listen.

I think it's worth the risk of waiting on Shoe.  

He had one very good season followed by a subpar one. 

This year he's been on the extremes of both as he was horrible for 7 starts and has been excellent for 13.  

I'd like to see if he can be the guy he's been recently for another year.  Then it's almost 3 yrs of good to a little over 1 of not so good.  I like that for trade value at the 2017 deadline.  

That said, if someone comes along and pays you a #2 starter bounty in trade, and you are getting 3 pieces that could help you for 2018 and beyond, take it.  

12 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

The number of overpaid veteran players, assuming Arte restrains himself again this off-season, decreases drastically by November 2017 (really only Pujols by then).      

Yep....and Pujols is just a sunk cost forever.....no need to stress too much about it....

Personally as a fan outside looking in I see a reinvigorated Matt Shoemaker and I say keep him. The changes he has made have shown how good he can be when he's feeling and pitching right and I think, barring some unknown piece of information that I may not be privy too, it would be fairly absurd to trade him unless we are absolutely overwhelmed with an offer of at least two high quality prospects that could fill immediate holes in our roster for next year and beyond.

7 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

Yanks now listening to offers for Andrew Miller. Smart that they are going to continue lowering their payroll and bring in more solid prospects for the future. 

I almost missed the subtle sub-text leading to the one degree of separation, there Claude.

The Yankees are trading away one dimensional players (closers) for prospects, then the Yankees will go out and spend big money on a closer in the off season.  They aren't really shedding payroll, they are capitalizing on the market for closers at the deadline.  Let's not make this about something it isn't.  

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The Yankees are trading away one dimensional players (closers) for prospects, then the Yankees will go out and spend big money on a closer in the off season.  They aren't really shedding payroll, they are capitalizing on the market for closers at the deadline.  Let's not make this about something it isn't.  

Smart strategy tho

Yep.  They spent big money on Miller and they took advantage of a low asking price for Chapman when he was going through the domestic violence situation which landed him a 30 game suspension.  The Dodgers had a deal in place for Chapman and backed out.  I don't blame them, the domestic violence thing would scare off most teams.  But if they followed through on that trade, they would be in a much better place right now.