• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2015-2016 Hot Stove Thread

SoWhat

We could soon have St. Louis and San Francisco focused on outfielders other than the big three, I like that.  It whittles our competition down to the Mets, Detroit, Kansas City (who made be fading too), maybe Mariners (not likely though), and the ever present surprise team.  By waiting we are moving into a better position.

Edited by tomsred

Moving to the AL hurt him. Move back to the NL and pitching in ATT Park will probably help him. Deal includes a player opt out after 2 yrs. Opt outs are all the rage these days

Good news is that this likely takes the Giants out of any of the big FA Ofers. Seriously, how many teams are there left who have the money to throw around to sign one of these guys?

He's back in the NL now and will be pitching most of his games in pitchers parks.  

I expected price to get what he got, but the next several guys have gotten more than I expected.  

I'd actually be ok with that Cueto deal assuming he's healthy.  He's a true ace.  

The cost of position players hasn't quite wowed me.  I feel like the Heyward and Zobrist deals were in line with expectations.  

Dodgers will trade Puig for Carrasco, sign Upton.

Oh I want the Angels to sign that other Mexican (thanks for that Adam) pitcher, Gallardo.

I want Puig to stay with the Dodgers, he's close enough that we can view the carnage every night on local sports TV.

I getting intrigued with the idea of moving a starter or two to the pen, and signing someone like Gallardo.  Maybe Shoemaker and Tropeano to the pen, or perhaps Wilson (he will hate the idea, so then he will accept any decent trade idea).  Maybe even Santiago.

Starters:  Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Weaver, Gallardo

Relievers:  Street, Smith, Morin, Alverez, Santiago, Wilson.  (in the minors Bedrosian, Shoemaker, Tropeano)

Edited by tomsred

Well nvm, guess the Giants can still throw around some big bucks

Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1

With so many $ off books this yr and next, #Sfgiants still in position to add LF. Top of NL West should be strong with SF, #dbacks #dodgers

They've been rumored in on Gordon. I'm guessing they are more in that market than the Upton market. 

Also, isn't this the same logic that many are applying to the Angels--we have money coming off the books next season, so we are in a position to spend now. Maybe someone should let Arte know.

Moving to the AL hurt him. Move back to the NL and pitching in ATT Park will probably help him. Deal includes a player opt out after 2 yrs. Opt outs are all the rage these days

Good news is that this likely takes the Giants out of any of the big FA Ofers. Seriously, how many teams are there left who have the money to throw around to sign one of these guys?

The opt out is pretty smart for both sides.

If cue to explodes and has two huge seasons, he can opt out and get an even better contract. Meanwhile the giants will have gotten top value out of cueto for two seasons and then get off the hook for the remaining money

In the end, SF gets great value for their investment, albeit for a short time.

Conversely, if he bombs they are stuck with him. But the chances of that are low

If the mid tier SP follows suit with that of the upper tier and ends up costing more than expected, then I would stay very far away.   It's usually a bad bet to begin with in that those guys usually stick to normal age range for peak and then decline because they aren't super great to begin with.  So you get a declining average to slightly above starter for a couple of years and then they absolutely tank.  

He had a terrible defensive season and is 32 year old now. If you're signing him, it needs to be a 3 year commitment at most for 10 million a season, and we need to get Upton with him because giving up a draft pick for just Kendrick wouldn't be smart.

More than 3 years for Kendrick seems really risky to me...He's not the greatest athlete in the first place...any more decline in skills and he's just an average ball player or worse. I wouldn't commit to someone for more than 3 years unless the ceiling is high or they are young (I'd give Upton 6 years)

i agree kendrick is risky based on age, but i think hes a good athlete to be honest. That guy is still in great shape. Hes the type i think may lose skill, but dont think he'll "slow down"

They've been rumored in on Gordon. I'm guessing they are more in that market than the Upton market. 

Also, isn't this the same logic that many are applying to the Angels--we have money coming off the books next season, so we are in a position to spend now. Maybe someone should let Arte know.

The problem with money coming off the books next year is that the two biggest chunks are Weaver and Wilson, and replacing them with free agent starters will be expensive.

The problem with money coming off the books next year is that the two biggest chunks are Weaver and Wilson, and replacing them with free agent starters will be expensive.

Weaver will be easily replaced by Tropeano. Wilson probably gets replaced by Skaggs. 

The only truly great FA starter available next offseason is Strasburg but the market for him is going to be so utterly ridiculous that the Angels probably won't be involved regardless.

So the Angels probably won't be spending a lot for 2017 anyway, since there's really not a whole lot worth spending on. Just arbitration contracts for their own guys and some smaller pieces.

Edited by tdawg87

Weaver will be easily replaced by Tropeano. Wilson probably gets replaced by Skaggs. 

The only truly great FA starter available next offseason is Strasburg but the market for him is going to be so utterly ridiculous that the Angels probably won't be involved regardless.

So the Angels probably won't be spending a lot for 2017 anyway, since there's really not a whole lot worth spending on. Just arbitration contracts for their own guys and some smaller pieces.

And he's kind of a bitch

i agree kendrick is risky based on age, but i think hes a good athlete to be honest. That guy is still in great shape. Hes the type i think may lose skill, but dont think he'll "slow down"

Somewhat puzzling around here ... everybody and their mother here has no problem throwing 4/60M at Zorbrist. Yet, when the mention of Howie or Gordon they're are hesitant.

Go figure

Somewhat puzzling around here ... everybody and their mother here has no problem throwing 4/60M at Zorbrist. Yet, when the mention of Howie or Gordon they're are hesitant.

Go figure

that's because some of us know that each player should be evaluated independently of one another because they all have different skill sets, cost different amounts of money, play different positions, are of different ages and have different track records.  

I guess that sort of thing could be puzzling to you considering that those three guys were within 6 rbi of one another.  

Skaggs has yet to have any success at the ML level ... neither has Tropeano for that matter. Both are young and have upside but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

that's because some of us know that each player should be evaluated independently of one another because they all have different skill sets, cost different amounts of money, play different positions, are of different ages and have different track records.

I guess that sort of thing could be puzzling to you considering that those three guys were within 6 rbi of one another.

You're good ... don't let it go to your head.