• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2015-2016 Hot Stove Thread

SoWhat

Jeff Fletcher predicts that if we sign one of the big OF names it will be Alex Gordon beceause he doesn't want high strikeout guys in the lineup.

it's not like he's some sort of high contact guy.  he averages about 140 per full season.  Cespedes is about the same.  Upton a few more.  Fowler about the same but none of them are low K guys.  

Span averages 80 and about 60 walks.  

I gotta be honest, I've got mental red flags going up all over the place for Gordon.  He's coming off a significant injury and entering his 32yo season.  He hits for ok power and Anaheim kills LHed power.  He right at the age where defense starts to decline and he gets a lot of his value from his defense.  

The safest bet was Heyward.  Upton is the next safest bet as he and Gordon have been similarly consistent but he is about 3.5 yrs younger.  If you are gonna go over the CBT threshold, get the best guy you can.  Not the cheapest.   

If we don't sign one of the big names I would rather we don't sign anyone and just roll with Navarro or something.  Sign someone next year.

there is no one.  seriously.  The best potentially available FA OFers next year are Colby Rasmus, Michael Saunders, and Josh Reddick plus a few guys in their late 30's.  It's really pretty awful.  

You've got to shore up the position this year unless you are going to trade some guys from our top notch farm system.  ooooooops.  

it's not like he's some sort of high contact guy.  he averages about 140 per full season.  Cespedes is about the same.  Upton a few more.  Fowler about the same but none of them are low K guys.  

Span averages 80 and about 60 walks.  

I gotta be honest, I've got mental red flags going up all over the place for Gordon.  He's coming off a significant injury and entering his 32yo season.  He hits for ok power and Anaheim kills LHed power.  He right at the age where defense starts to decline and he gets a lot of his value from his defense.  

The safest bet was Heyward.  Upton is the next safest bet as he and Gordon have been similarly consistent but he is about 3.5 yrs younger.  If you are gonna go over the CBT threshold, get the best guy you can.  Not the cheapest.   

I think they want Gordon more because he hits from the left side.

I mean, Upton is the best player overall available. And I wouldn't complain about any of the three to be honest.

Something else people here are not totally grasping is that not only do we need to sign a quality OF because we need strong production out of that spot but if you get one of the young ones like Heyward or Upton they are much more likely to have value at the end of their contracts making a trade of them to help reboot the system a more likely scenario.

No one is going to want to trade for a 37 year old Alex Gordon.

you admittedly don't understand WAR yet you hope they don't use it.

It's like saying, 'boy, I sure hope they don't use physics to build that rocket.'

WAR is for fans like you who are looking for a shortcut to evaluate a player without actually scouting them.

You're right and I have no interest in understanding a stat that has many flaws.

Edited by Troll Daddy

I think they want Gordon more because he hits from the left side.

I mean, Upton is the best player overall available. And I wouldn't complain about any of the three to be honest.

Lefthanded and he's the best left fielder in baseball defensively. 

I'll be honest, I'll be just fine with either one of Upton, Gordon or Cespedes. 

Lefthanded and he's the best left fielder in baseball defensively. 

I'll be honest, I'll be just fine with either one of Upton, Gordon or Cespedes. 

Cespedes also makes a lot of sense in that his term will probably be 4-5 years, and he doesn't have any compensation attached to him. 

My first choice is Upton, but because we could keep our draft pick I would be ok with Cespedes depending on contract. I also wouldn't mind Gordon. I wonder how people would feel here if they decided to go get Cespedes but then sign Howie and lose their draft pick.

I thought a lot of posters here were unhappy with Howie due to the amount of GIDP's he had.