• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A theory on David Freese

My theory is he's not good at the game of baseball anymore and Dipoto got hosed on the deal for him.[/quote

Hosed? I wasn't aware Bourjos and Grichuk have done jack shit for the Cardinals

Halos could really use both of them right now with Calhoun/Hamilton hurt. Grichuk's putting up a .955 OPS in AAA

they got hosed. They gave up 2 younger, cheaper pieces with upside for older, more expensive, crappier players. I'm not even a big Bourjos fan, but if that was the best return they could get...should have just held onto him. At least his D gives him some value, Freese can't even say that

Hosed is maybe too strong a word but that .955 OPS Grichuk is putting up in AAA isn't awful, and say what you will about Bourjos, he's managed an .826 OPS since going hitless in his first 5 games.

Edited by Inside Pitch

My theory is he's not good at the game of baseball anymore and Dipoto got hosed on the deal for him.[/quote

Bourjos is an elite defensive CF and is still young and cheap...Grichuk is young, talented and progressing normally through the minor league ranks.  

We gave up young, cheap talent for an oft-injured, more expensive 3B who hasn't done anything in 2 years and a nothing BP arm.

Dipoto got hosed...the move was marked by overly simplistic thinking on his part and the Cardinals continue to be young, cheap and talented by making moves like this one.  The Angels would have been better off keeping these two and going with Fields/Green/Stewart/whatever-NL-West-former-reject-prospect at 3B.  Right now, you'd at least have Bourjos in place of one of Shuck/Cowgill

Edited by mulwin444

This trade was horrible in November and it's horrible now. Grichuk is going to at least be solid and Freese is god awful. Lucho would clearly be better at this point and he's making the minimum.

+1....Trumbo trade may work out but this one was DOA....just a horrible move....period....

Trades like the one for Freese are exactly why this organization is in the position it is in. It isn't so much the trade itself as the philosophy behind it: Trade young, cost-controlled talent for bandaids.

Agree. Why make these kinds of trades?

I would also rather see Stewart get a shot at establishing himself as an every day player at this point.  On the trade though, I don't really have a problem with it.  We traded from a position of depth.  PB would have been a 4th outfielder for us and like Freese is constantly injured.  We have not had a real 3B since Troy Glaus, it was worth a shot imo.  The season is still young and maybe Freese works out, but he certainly looks awful now.  In the end I dont think we really lost much in this trade.  Grichuck....who knows.