• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A theory on David Freese

Even if Grichuk was in the halos minor league system and Bourjos was sitting squarely on the halo bench with almost no at bats, that would actually hold much greater value to this team than what Salas and Freese have combined for.  Seriously, did these guys even get scouted before this trade?  We can see from their numbers that they are the same players they once were. 

It was a horrible trade when made, and looks way worse now. And almost everyone on this board felt that way at the time, which makes it even more ridiculous that Dipoto didn't see it that way.

a whole lot of people on this board had a strange love affair with Peter Bourjous. Dude is fast.... That's it.

Keep staying with that narrative. However the fact is had we kept Bourjos Calhoun could have been DH and we would not have Ibanez. Bourjos would have been our fourth outfielder had we kept Trumbo. The Trumbo trade made the Bourjos trade worse.

I would also rather see Stewart get a shot at establishing himself as an every day player at this point. On the trade though, I don't really have a problem with it. We traded from a position of depth. PB would have been a 4th outfielder for us and like Freese is constantly injured. We have not had a real 3B since Troy Glaus, it was worth a shot imo. The season is still young and maybe Freese works out, but he certainly looks awful now. In the end I dont think we really lost much in this trade. Grichuck....who knows.

I just dont understand what Dipoto was thinking by acquiring an older and Clearly declining vet for younger players.  Did he really believe that  Freese would turn it around in a pitchers park like we have?  I mean, come on, there had to be more available than what we got for the 2 players we gave up.  Why did we trade with St. Louis.  We could have found a different and better trade partner sometime before the start of the season.  What was the rush to accept that crappy trade? You can put me in the Dipoto needs to go crowd.  I used to be a supporter, not anymore.  He has had more than enough time to turn this around.  If we were winning trades fine, but we're not.  He needs to go and take his buddy Scioscia with him.  We need a fresh start.  

Edited by Semaj

Keep staying with that narrative. However the fact is had we kept Bourjos Calhoun could have been DH and we would not have Ibanez. Bourjos would have been our fourth outfielder had we kept Trumbo. The Trumbo trade made the Bourjos trade worse.

Do you really think that Kole Calhoun should have been our every day DH ? I mean thats a plan i suppose.  I guess my main thing is that I dont believe Bourjos was going to morph into this great player that can magically stay healthy and reach his promised potential.  Peter had several shots here and it never worked out for a multitude of reasons.  Staying healthy is a thing in my mind.  Peter could not do it.  I personally do not think he's going to magically not break down in St. Louis and suddenly finally achieve his baseball nirvana.  Freese in some ways is a similar player.  We basically swapped problems in my mind.  As I said, I don't know about Grichuck...

Edited by UndertheHalo

I don't really get why Bourjos is such a polarizing figure around here. He is essentially Darin Erstad, who was also polarizing. Criticized for not living up to offense put up in one season, experiencing some unfortunate injuries and consistently putting up amazing base running and defensive numbers. Now that he's gone it seems like battle lines are formed around the pro front office crowed and the anti-front office crowd.

Erstad never lived up to the bat he showed early in his career, but he still went on to be one of the better players in franchise history based almost entirely on defense and base running. Bourjos has not had the chance to prove if his batting line in 2011 was a fluke, yet we lose this trade even if it was.

I don't really get why Bourjos is such a polarizing figure around here. He is essentially Darin Erstad, who was also polarizing. Criticized for not living up to offense put up in one season, experiencing some unfortunate injuries and consistently putting up amazing base running and defensive numbers. Now that he's gone it seems like battle lines are formed around the pro front office crowed and the anti-front office crowd.

Erstad never lived up to the bat he showed early in his career, but he still went on to be one of the better players in franchise history based almost entirely on defense and base running. Bourjos has not had the chance to prove if his batting line in 2011 was a fluke, yet we lose this trade even if it was.

I am probably more of a pro front office guy for the most part. I liked the trade when it happened because I figured we would get a decent offensive player at third base that took a ton of pitches had occasional power and had a good OBP. I really loved parts of Petey's game but I saw him as a spare part in the Angels eyes so I saw why they made the trade. The issue I have with this thread is people down playing what Peter actually was good at or someone equating speed to being good defensively.

Freese is reminding me of Gary Gaetti , when he was an Angel. A solid player who turned into crap when he was here. Trade him for a low A player, and he will return to a decent player on his new team.  As bad as Freese is now, i don't think Cowart would be this bad if brought up.

Do you really think that Kole Calhoun should have been our every day DH ? I mean thats a plan i suppose.  I guess my main thing is that I dont believe Bourjos was going to morph into this great player that can magically stay healthy and reach his promised potential.  Peter had several shots here and it never worked out for a multitude of reasons.  Staying healthy is a thing in my mind.  Peter could not do it.  I personally do not think he's going to magically not break down in St. Louis and suddenly finally achieve his baseball nirvana.  Freese in some ways is a similar player.  We basically swapped problems in my mind.  As I said, I don't know about Grichuck...

And why is that such a outrageous idea? Calhoun and Hamilton could have split the DH roles. You never know what would have happened but that would have been much better than what they have now. Bourjos is not going to turn into a great player but he is already a great defensive player that would be valuable to the team. Unless he is hitting like Mathis his defense would be an asset to the team.