• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels hire Don Baylor as new hitting coach

clubMVP

To be honest (and I like this move a lot), I'm not real big on the strikeout comments. Sure, I hate K's too. That said, I also don't view them as being any different than pop outs or ground outs.

If baylor is going to start preaching 'just don't strike out', I think its going to lead to more swings at bad pitches just to avoid k's...and were already awesome at that.

I think you're reading too much into his comments. I don't really like the strike out comments either. I don't think the players that strike out a lot do so nonchalantly like it doesn't matter as his comment implies. I don't think that's the point though. To avoid strikeouts there are two key things for a hitter, hit good hittable pitches no matter where in the count they come, don't watch good mistake pitches and get caught looking, and don't chase out of the zone. Part of that is approach (teachable) and part of that is pitch recognition (skill- somewhat teachable but with limitations). Because of those skill level limitations, pitch recognition is the hardest hurdle to cross.  I don't think any professional hitting coach would preach "just don't strike out. "

I could be LT.

Again, I dislike K's as much as you or anyone else. But I think it varies from player to player.

A guy like hamilton or trumbo or kendrick, yeah, they need to cut their steike outs. I say that because they don't walk a ton. A guy like trout or pujols, I think its different because they walk a lot. If a guy sees a ton of pitches and k's on close 3rd strikes its different than seeing four pirches and getting rung up.

Either way, I like this signing. I mentioned baylor in a post here a few weeks back as my pick so I'm glad to see it. Its gonna be fun/educational for all of us to see if an experienced star hitter is the difference on the coaching level. Should make for some good debates on here anyway!

“It’s not just his knowledge of hitting -- his presence is going to be very important for us,” Manager Mike Scioscia said. “I don’t know if there’s a guy who commands as much respect as Don does walking into a clubhouse or into a meeting with hitters. Everyone stands up and takes notice of what he’s saying. That’s one of the reasons we’re excited about having him.”“It’s not just his knowledge of hitting -- his presence is going to be very important for us,” Manager Mike Scioscia said. “I don’t know if there’s a guy who commands as much respect as Don does walking into a clubhouse or into a meeting with hitters. Everyone stands up and takes notice of what he’s saying. That’s one of the reasons we’re excited about having him."

hmmmm...

I could be LT.

Again, I dislike K's as much as you or anyone else. But I think it varies from player to player.

A guy like hamilton or trumbo or kendrick, yeah, they need to cut their steike outs. I say that because they don't walk a ton. A guy like trout or pujols, I think its different because they walk a lot. If a guy sees a ton of pitches and k's on close 3rd strikes its different than seeing four pirches and getting rung up.

Either way, I like this signing. I mentioned baylor in a post here a few weeks back as my pick so I'm glad to see it. Its gonna be fun/educational for all of us to see if an experienced star hitter is the difference on the coaching level. Should make for some good debates on here anyway!

Totally agree it varies from player to player and how/why the K's are coming.  Saying that a player needs to cut back on K's and getting that to happen are is not so simple. The guys like Trumbo and Hamilton, it's approach and pitch recognition. A guy like Trout, leave him be because his results are superb despite the K's and he will get better as he matures as a hitter (hard to fathom). 

You realize these two guys, Scioscia and Baylor, are extremely good friends, right? They host a golf tournament for Cystic Fibrosis every year here in Southern California, here's the link........http://www.65rosesgolfclassic.org/ They have done this for years, and they have a great deal of respect for one another. I would seriously doubt Baylor thinks of himself as a Scioscia replacement. I played in that tournament for several years, I think they have a strong measure of self respect for one another judging by their interaction.

I think he's a very good hire because of the personality he exudes, completely different than that of Eppard. Those of you who actually read the entire press release when Eppard and Picciolo know this was the objective, and the reason they were let go. Expect the same kind of hire on the next two vacancies. I would think both Scioscia and Dipoto were very much in favor of hiring Baylor, and on the same page for this one.

Most people are friends with their boss or industry colleague. But if the boss goes away and the other person is tapped for the job, they typically accept.

I'm not saying Baylor is there to take Mike's job. I'm saying that when mike screws up again, we already have the next guy wearing the UNi in the same dugout.

• 2 months later...

Don Baylor>>>>MIke Scioscia as a player and could be as a manager if given the chance.  Mike is done as a difference maker with the Angels.  He will probably regain mensa status with a new team.  Trade him to the Dogs while his value is still high.

What does Baylor being better than him as a player have to do with anything?  

If you carefully considered my sentence, I pointed out that Baylor was a much better player which indicates an understanding of what it takes to perform at a high level when every single pitcher is focused on you.  I understand why Scioscia "tips his cap" and "turns the page" because he was never the centerpiece for the Dodgers offense.  It did not matter whether Mike had a clutch hit or big homerun because there were others on the team to do it.  Don Baylor, for much of his career, was the offensive centerpiece for many teams.  I can not remember Don Baylor accepting failure as a player.  I remember him willing to be hit by a pitch than to accept the pitcher's right to the inside corner.  This perspective might help someone to clearly communicate what it takes to be successful because they bring experience.  That is not to suggest that a successful playing career is in itself, an indicator of being a successful manager.  I indicated that with the second part of the sentence using the phrase "could be" and not leaping to any conclusions.  Baylor has already managed and has a variety of experiences that could help him in communicating with young talented players as well as older fading superstars.  Longevity in any area requires a person to constantly reinvent themselves to meet the changing landscape.  I think Baylor should be considered a mangerial option, but I do not claim to know anyone having inside knowledge, so this is purely hipshooting speculation.

That kind of logic continues to boggle my mind.

What someone did as a player has little to no effect on their skills as a manager.

I might suggest that in today's world, the game and people have changed in the last 20 years.  Today, many people no longer blindly accept authority and having a person in authority with some credibility is important.  This is apparent when examining who has been hired as new inexperienced managers.  Their credibility is rooted in either their playing accomplishments or in industry connections.  Based on what I read, managing today requires more than it did 20 years ago.  Baseball managers must manage game situations, egos, media and relationships in order to be a difference maker.  Baylor played for Earl Weaver, Chuck Tanner, Jim Fregosi, Gene Mauch, John McNamera, Tom Kelly, and Tony LaRussa.  A logical assumption would be that Baylor learned quite a bit about managing from a player's perspective while playing for these guys.  I am not saying that this "pedigree" earns him an automatic label as "good manager" but I think it certainly should earn him consideration for a mangerial opportunity.

I think managers/coaches who were good players are more likely to get more respect and have young players listen to what they have to say. That doesn't mean that what they are saying is worth anything though. Milton Bradley was a pretty good player. He'd probably tell players to go home and beat their wives on a drunken rampage after an 0-10 slump.