• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels hire Don Baylor as new hitting coach

clubMVP

I guess this is ok although I was thinking they'd be a little more creative than another recycled dback reject. 

It seems like their intent is to bring in a staff that fits a specific type of personality as opposed to being a technical guy. 

Seems like more of an old school guy. 

To me, this is almost like they are admitting that there were personality issues last year. 

Surprisingly bag the bench and hitting coaches with the new hitting coach being more of a strong personality.  Interesting. 

It's probably why they kept Butcher and Ebel.  Both seem inclined to hold guys in check. 

Not really. Most players actually have a similar hitting philosophy. His career numbers are a reflection of his abilities to play the game but it really doesn't tell you much about how they would coach. 

I agree that a successful playing career does not tell you much about how they would coach.  However, I loved watching Don Baylor play and based on the respect afforded to him by his peers, I would say he has many of the intangibles necessary to be an effective coach.

Great choice.

I guess this is ok although I was thinking they'd be a little more creative than another recycled dback reject. 

It seems like their intent is to bring in a staff that fits a specific type of personality as opposed to being a technical guy. 

Seems like more of an old school guy. 

To me, this is almost like they are admitting that there were personality issues last year. 

Surprisingly bag the bench and hitting coaches with the new hitting coach being more of a strong personality.  Interesting. 

It's probably why they kept Butcher and Ebel.  Both seem inclined to hold guys in check. 

I think the makeup of the team requires a strong personality. Maybe Eppard wasn't that kind of guy. Not a bad coach necessarily but maybe not a good fit for this team. 

Edited by Lifetime

I think the makeup of the team requires a strong personality. Maybe Eppard wasn't that kind of guy. Not a bad coach necessarily but maybe not a good fit for this team. 

exactly.  it's almost like they are collecting strong personalities in hopes that certain players will have certain outlets of communication. 

Coaching personalities generate chemistry.  It's the new moneyball. 

Can't wait for game 62 when Baylor knocks Sosh on his ass in the dugout -- fifth inning, tired of slapping ball.

You realize these two guys, Scioscia and Baylor, are extremely good friends, right?  They host a golf tournament for Cystic Fibrosis every year here in Southern California, here's the link........http://www.65rosesgolfclassic.org/  They have done this for years, and they have a great deal of respect for one another.  I would seriously doubt Baylor thinks of himself as a Scioscia replacement.  I played in that tournament for several years, I think they have a strong measure of self respect for one another judging by their interaction.

I think he's a very good hire because of the personality he exudes, completely different than that of Eppard.  Those of you who actually read the entire press release when Eppard and Picciolo know this was the objective, and the reason they were let go.  Expect the same kind of hire on the next two vacancies.  I would think both Scioscia and Dipoto were very much in favor of hiring Baylor, and on the same page for this one.

Edited by tomsred