• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels hire Don Baylor as new hitting coach

clubMVP

Finally! I can get my Don Baylor signed photo that I've had stashed away since he signed with Satan in the 1982 off-season. Got it signed at an Angels hardware store grand opening in Rancho Cucamonga in 1979 when he was making an appearance with Dave Frost. Now, whatever happened to Angels' hardware and where the hell is Dave Frost?

Edited by gurn67

The best we can hope for is that Baylor will get in Mike's face with a "WTF?".. the first time he asks a guy to bunt in the second inning.

That won't happen Homebrewer, those two guys are good friends.  Baylor would never show Mike up publicly.  See my previous post.  Baylor and Scioscia have known each other longer than Dipoto has known either one.

Edited by tomsred

If we tank in April again, Arte should make the move.

Exactly!  The leash is getting very short with Scioscia and his early-season fails.  Baylor is a great hire because he's got huge personality and was a great old-time Angel.  He'll definitely get more respect from Sosh than Epps did.

The best we can hope for is that Baylor will get in Mike's face with a "WTF?".. the first time he asks a guy to bunt in the second inning.

Baylor didn't say anything to Carew when he decided to bunt for a base hit. Old school baseball guys understand sometimes bunting is the safe play to either get runners moved across or catch the defense flat footed. Baylor is not going to gripe about bunting.

That won't happen Homebrewer, those two guys are good friends.  Baylor would never show Mike up publicly.  See my previous post.  Baylor and Scioscia have known each other longer than Dipoto has known either one.

Absolutely disagree.  Baylor will not be a "yes man" to Scioscia... its not in his personality.  Hopefully they are good enough friends that Scioscia will stop, listen, and take it in.  The thing Sciosica has lacked since the departure of Maddon, Black, and Roenicke, is someone that can get in his grill and challenge him.  Without that type of coach helping him, Scioscia is nothing more than a mediocre manager.  And the record proves it.

Absolutely disagree.  Baylor will not be a "yes man" to Scioscia... its not in his personality.  Hopefully they are good enough friends that Scioscia will stop, listen, and take it in.  The thing Sciosica has lacked since the departure of Maddon, Black, and Roenicke, is someone that can get in his grill and challenge him.  Without that type of coach helping him, Scioscia is nothing more than a mediocre manager.  And the record proves it.

so Maddon, Black and Roenicke got up in Scioscia's grill?

A good dugout has coaches and managers that can speak freely and be heard. Baylor doesn't have to be a yes man not to blow up on Scioscia in the dugout every time he disagrees with Scioscia's strategy. If some of you think that is going to happen, you're going to be disappointed. There are things that drive me crazy about Scioscia (and yes Brian I have talked about them often on this board) and I do hope someone, be it Baylor or someone else brings a new perspective on those things and is able to influence those decisions. 

so Maddon, Black and Roenicke got up in Scioscia's grill?

A good dugout has coaches and managers that can speak freely and be heard. Baylor doesn't have to be a yes man not to blow up on Scioscia in the dugout every time he disagrees with Scioscia's strategy. If some of you think that is going to happen, you're going to be disappointed. There are things that drive me crazy about Scioscia (and yes Brian I have talked about them often on this board) and I do hope someone, be it Baylor or someone else brings a new perspective on those things and is able to influence those decisions. 

There are degrees to which one gets up into another's grill.

We haven't had good coaches in the dugout since Maddon, Black, and Roenicke left.  ALL have been nothing more than "yes men" to Sciosica. 

With Baylor here, we have at least one coach who will challenge Scioscia to be a better manager.  Something he hasn't had in a long time.

There are degrees to which one gets up into another's grill.

We haven't had good coaches in the dugout since Maddon, Black, and Roenicke left.  ALL have been nothing more than "yes men" to Sciosica. 

With Baylor here, we have at least one coach who will challenge Scioscia to be a better manager.  Something he hasn't had in a long time.

oh I see, I didn't realize getting up in one's grill had nuances. Who knew.

As I said before, I'm happy with this move and I think he will be a great compliment to Scioscia, not just as a hitting coach. And he'll probably be better than what we have had the last few years, particularly with the makeup of the current roster. I just think the whole we haven't had any good coaches since.... and "nothing more than yes men" schtick is over the top nonsense. 

oh I see, I didn't realize getting up in one's grill had nuances. Who knew.

As I said before, I'm happy with this move and I think he will be a great compliment to Scioscia, not just as a hitting coach. And he'll probably be better than what we have had the last few years, particularly with the makeup of the current roster. I just think the whole we haven't had any good coaches since.... and "nothing more than yes men" schtick is over the top nonsense. 

The record says otherwise.  Just sayin'....

Baylor doesn't think it's OK to strike out 130x a year. Baylor's career as a hitter confirms that. Baylor has the gravitas and attitude that hitters will listen to. He gets along with both Scioscia and Dipoto (and it looks like both were very much on board with his hiring), and he CHOSE to be here over another year in Arizona. What's not to like?

To be honest (and I like this move a lot), I'm not real big on the strikeout comments. Sure, I hate K's too. That said, I also don't view them as being any different than pop outs or ground outs.

If baylor is going to start preaching 'just don't strike out', I think its going to lead to more swings at bad pitches just to avoid k's...and were already awesome at that.