• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels hire Don Baylor as new hitting coach

clubMVP

I think with this move there's a sign that the Angel coaching staff is going to be rounded out by manager-types, be it former or future. I think there was a relatively official article (LA Times or Angels official site) that emphasized heavily how Scioscia was surrounded by a host of future managers (Black, Maddon, Roenicke) and that the differing views between the staff was a bg positive to the group, and to Scioscia. I believe he was even quoted as saying as much.

The last few years all those types that questioned Scioscia have left to manage, and maybe they just weren't being replaced by the right guys. Now you're seeing a hitting coach coming in with prior managing experience, Ebel moving to a more influential role (he's been a long-time successful manager in the minors and mentioned as a future candidate), and I'd be willing to bet the new third base coach will be someone like Tim Bogar, who has prior success in the role (see the recent official site article where Ebel mentions a guy with third base coach experience would be ideal) and is also mentioned frequently as a future manager. Could see Vizquel a candidate as well. Maybe he'd be an assistant hitting coach? Percival's recent article even articulated he hopes to be a big league manager, maybe he will be a candidate as an assistant pitching coach.

A staff of Scioscia, Baylor, Butcher, Ebel, Bogar, Vizquel brings a ton of managerial talent to the staff, much like the Maddon, Black, Roenicke days, and represents a fair amount of Scioscia's guys and Dipoto's.

This makes Angel25Fan VERY VERY HAPPY!!!!

And I doubt seriously that he will be just another Scioscia "yes man".

If Scioscia is going to still be the manager, its time for him to be surrounded by people that will challenge him again.

Edited by Brian Ilten